Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

*Fitness Thread*

1373839404143»

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    My grocery store has that. Not even gonna pretend I use it, but it has stopped me from getting a few items out of guilt when I catch a super low number on the price tag :))
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    I just like it for comparing similar items like peanut butter and like how it has brand specific items listed. Even if your diet isn't that clean, it's a quick and easy way to make a better choice here and there. Plus when your eating right, you feel like you get a high score lol, and high scores were meant to be broken.
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    did someone say high :-?
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    That's not even needed... Anyone wit common sense should be able to know that apple sauce sweetened wit nothing but naturally occuring fructose is healthier than processed apple sauce sweetened wit sugar. Come on now.
    Episode said:

That's not even needed... Anyone wit common sense should be able to know that apple sauce sweetened wit nothing but naturally occuring fructose is healthier than processed apple sauce sweetened wit sugar. Come on now.

ITT - Erik knows the nutrient density of every food available in most grocery stores.

Heres everything you need to know before you can go and fuck yourself Erik... Strawberry and Blueberry poptarts get a 5. Chocalate got an 11. Episode Nutrition FTW!

:-bd
    uirate

I never said Pop Tarts were super food. All I'm saying is common sense is needed for healthy eating, not a "system".
    It's also needed for this conversation, but I'm trying to be patient with you. Yes, some of it may come down to common sense, but not all of it. And food companies have also figured out how to use that "common sense" against you.

*While Jif Creamy Peanut Butter scores a 20 on the NuVal scale, Low-Fat Jif Peanut Butter scores a 7 out of 100. Why? In the lower-fat product, while fat was removed, sugar and salt were added to maintain flavor. Protein and fiber were removed as well.

* Plain corn flakes score a 25 on the NuVal scale, just a few points higher than many kinds of sugary kids cereals. If you’re looking for high nutrition overall, you’re better off with shredded wheat, which receives a 91. Shredded wheat gets a higher score because of lower sodium and higher fiber than the corn flakes.

* What about strawberry yogurt? Horizon Organic Nonfat strawberry yogurt comes in with a NuVal score of 30; Yoplait Light Fat Free Strawberry receives a score of 60, and Breyers Light Strawberry Nonfat gets a 99. It’s clear that all yogurts are not created equal.

It's just nice to have some actual facts in front of my face rather than me thinking I know everything. It also save me the time of comparing all the different brands of similar items and what is in them, and what the gap between them is. Maybe I'm baked as shit and just want some fucking ice cream. Maybe your drunk and just want some nachos. Fuck trying to do math in that condition, but if I'm debating what flavor I want at least I can compare the 2 in less than a second. It may or may not play into the choice I make, but I'm glad its there. More informed consumers can make better choices, how can that be anything but a good thing?
    I suppose, but for instance, the first one again is common knowledge. I've known for a minute now that low fat is generally horseshit, because in basically every case of a low fat product, the carbs are way higher, plus fats are good for you, and when consumed in the right macro amount, help you lose weight. High carbs are the enemy, not high fat.

Anyways, was just making a point. No need to get defensive. Obviously we have different views, but I think the fact that that even has to exist as a result of our lazy ass society is ridiculous. It literally takes MAYBE an hour of your time if you really wanna know the basic essentials of nutrition. And as I said, common sense. Obviously natural peanut butter wit literally nothing but peanuts and salt, no sugar, is better than the standard processed peanut butter wit hydrogenated oils and sugar in it.
    It common knowledge to you because you went deep with the lifting, but that isn't representative of the gen pop. Nutrition and fitness knowledge tend to go hand in hand, but the fact is we live in a Wal Mart world son. It just seems like a fairly simple and straight forward way to start to work on the obesity rates in the country. Obviously fatties gonna fat, but maybe it helps them get started in the right direction. And even if they don't, no harm no foul.
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    edited August 2013
    I've had a shoulder injury for the past 6-12 months which has fucked up my bench and squat.
    Been building the shoulder up and really warming it up before lifting.
    Decided I'm getting lazy so I'm going to set myself the goal of doing some powerlifting comps next year.
    Think I'll just do bench only.
    I've built up to doing 3 x 5 x 90kg quite comfortably.
    My goal for next year is to get my body weight down to 74kg and aim for a bench of 120-130kg+

\m/
    You ever try any of the mobility wods?
    #5,17,18, 24, 32, 34, 41, 44, 47, 51, 79, 80, 83, 86, 101, 102, 103, 116, 134, 140, 143, 158, 162, 166, 175, 183, 190, 195, 199, 205, Bonus wod 207.5, 211, 212, 226, 229, 242, 282, 283, 286, 294, 315, and 330 are all shoulder related. Fix your shit.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/episodes/page/6/
    How's the shoulder doing Gnomie? I've identified 2 of the big causes of my shoulder being jacked up, and they are both pretty gay lol. The biggest cause for me seems to be the way I place my arms when I sleep, and the other cause seems to be the way my shoulder is positioned forward and out of the optimal frame position when I drive. These two pussy little things, over and over and over and over act like waves crashing against the rocks and just started breaking shit down. I'm still in the process of trying to break these habits, but at least now I know whats gotta be done.
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    @jobe
    Thanks for those mobility links - really interesting stuff.
    Shoulder is coming right slowly.
    Just a pity my bench has deteriorated so now it's a matter of building it back up again.
    I think I was doing way too much heavy bench before and not focusing on my shoulders, back and all of my delt area.
    As a result it probably put too much pressure on my front delt/AC area.
    So now I'm trying to really warm up and stretch my delts and shoulders and chest before i do bench.
    I want to build up slowly and not take it too fast.
    Not getting any younger and I'll be lifting at a lighter body weight than before - so I can't expect to get back to where I was but still like to give it a crack
  • sarspidsarspid Posts: 1,643 just the tip
    I need to hurry up and heal so I can go back to the gym ASAP!!! Doctor said I can't count calories :( since I'm breastfeeding. :(