Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The road to moderation

WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited April 2011 in Off Topic
So I've seen names being thrown around about who would make a good moderator, however I would like to propose that before names are thrown around that we discuss what exactly we want from a mod. What makes a good mod? And how should a Mod act in ways to avoid what happened over the last few days?

My personal opinion is that a moderator should be someone that is present on this site the majority of the time. It isnt a full time job or anything, but when shit goes down users shouldnt have to wait long for action to be taken.

Secondly I think the job of a moderator is one that should require little to no work. Threads should not be deleted 99% of the time. Bans shouldnt be given in haste and without warnings... and if warnings are being given and the person still is acting up, then it should be a temp 1-2 day ban while the issue is discussed with the board.

Finally a Mod should be someone who can remain impartial even if they personally do take a side. For example, personally speaking I am very pro-life. I would never want my wife to get an abortion. Politically speaking I am very Pro-choice. Just because I am personally pro-life, doesnt mean that I should have the right to tell others what to believe. This same concept needs to be applied to moderation.... Just because you happen to have issues with some member, you need to recognize that potential bias and be cautious of how you act. take advice from other moderators and makes sure you are acting in a fair method.

Really the only time mods should get involved is if there is some e-drama that is going to cause a huge rift in the board. It is a very fine line what is and isnt too far. I would actually appreciate a PM from a mod if they felt I was out of line. I think that if a mod thought I was out of line, and that mod was neutral, then I could have a logical discussion with him and get some sort of resolution.

anyways, what are your guys thoughts on what a mod should be?

Comments