Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Another danger to society

WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited March 2011 in Off Topic
Lock this bitch up! give her the chair!

http://www.oklahomawatch.org/story.php?sid=28

25-year-old mother of four's drug conviction and 10-year sentence reveal challenges of prosecuting nonviolent offenders For $31 of marijuana, Patricia Marilyn Spottedcrow will serve 10 years in prison, will live without her four young children and husband and will no longer work in nursing homes.

Three days before Christmas, Spottedcrow, also known as inmate No. 622641, started her stint at Eddie Warrior Correctional Center.

Spottedcrow heard what to expect from re-offenders she met in county jail and while waiting for a transfer from Mabel Bassett, the maximum-security prison all female inmates enter for assessments.

“I’m nervous about coming altogether because it is prison, and I get nervous around people I don’t know,” said Spottedcrow, 25. “But I like to be prepared, and people said don’t get too comfortable here or you’ll be here longer. Don’t make too many friends. Come and do your time and get out.”

‘It was lenient’

On Dec. 31, 2009, Spottedcrow and her mother, Delita Starr, sold a “dime bag” of marijuana to a police informant from Starr’s home in Kingfisher, according to court records. Starr handled the transaction and asked her 9-year-old grandson—Spottedcrow’s son—for some dollar bills so she could make change for the $11 sale.

On Jan. 14, 2010, the same informant returned and bought $20 worth of marijuana from Spottedcrow.

The two were arrested and charged with distribution of a controlled substance. Because Spottedcrow’s children were in the home, the charge of possession of a dangerous substance in the presence of a minor was added. Spottedcrow said she is not a drug user but had on a few occasions smoked marijuana.

“It just seemed like easy money,” she said. “I was home on vacation and it was just there, and I thought we could get some extra money. I’ve lost everything because of it.”

Spottedcrow and her mother, 50, were offered plea deals of two years in prison, she said. But she was afraid of her mother going to prison based on of her poor health.

Because neither had prior criminal records and the drug amount was low, they took the gamble of entering into a blind plea before a judge, meaning they pleaded guilty with no prior sentencing arrangement.

Kingfisher County did not have a drug court at that time. Drug courts are specialty treatment courts offered to non-violent offenders.

On Sept. 23, Starr received a 30-year suspended sentence and five years of drug and alcohol assessments. Nearly a month later, Spottedcrow was sentenced to 10 years in prison for distribution and two years for possession, to run concurrently. She will be up for parole in 2014.

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Yeah... the "war on drugs" is working....
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    christ? i guess the cops have nothing better to do in Oklahoma. 30 years? 10 years? to a mother and grandmother for a dime of trees? I hope the prosecuters office is proud of this victory <_>
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    christ? i guess the cops have nothing better to do in Oklahoma. 30 years? 10 years? to a mother and grandmother for a dime of trees? I hope the prosecuters office is proud of this victory <_>
    :-)) :-)) :-))
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
    no shit. I think the greater injustice here is that legal system. It sure would be nice if this got out and the international community started called our legal system barbaric and fucked up.

How does shit like this happen? How can anyone in the right mind think "Oh... 31$ of weed with 4 kids? LOCK HER UP!!!".

Oh and Oklahoma? perhaps you didnt get the memo but the other 49 fucking states decriminalized marijuana. and can legally grow, possess, and smoke it
  • TimTim Posts: 2,441 admin
    It is disappointing to me that scum like this woman are allowed to carry on with their disgusting drug-dealing practices at all. An example needed to be made here, and I think this is exactly the kind of thing that will jolt other single mothers out of the mindset that drug dealing is an easy and safe way to make lots of money. My only concern is that a minimum security "correctional center" doesn't send a harsh enough message to other would-be offenders.
    there are some who call me... tim?
  • Alec29Alec29 Posts: 3,864 juggalo
    no shit. I think the greater injustice here is that legal system. It sure would be nice if this got out and the international community started called our legal system barbaric and fucked up.

How does shit like this happen? How can anyone in the right mind think "Oh... 31$ of weed with 4 kids? LOCK HER UP!!!".

Oh and Oklahoma? perhaps you didnt get the memo but the other 49 fucking states decriminalized marijuana. and can legally grow, possess, and smoke it

When did weed become nationally decriminalized? Hasn't happened here in Illinois. Hasn't happened in Georgia. I'm curious as to where you got your misinformation.
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
    edited March 2011

she should start bilking hundreds of people out of hundreds of millions of dollars in hedge fund schemes like a respectable criminal.....

When did weed become nationally decriminalized? Hasn't happened here in Illinois. Hasn't happened in Georgia. I'm curious as to where you got your misinformation.
    I'm just exaggerating. It has happened in quite a few states though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_US_state

And I have heard the application to get a medical marijuana card is a joke. Just go to your dr and say "unfortunately i think i've got that cold where weed is the only cure. bummer :) "
    edited March 2011
    It's been up for vote twice here in Illinois in the past year. Both times it was defeated by very few votes. This last time is missed passing by only 4 votes so they tabled it and will bring it up again later this year.

20 years for 31 dollars worth of dirt weed is fucking ridiculous and the judge that handed down that type of sentence should be removed from the bench.
    Wake, ask UPfreebird about the process for getting and keeping a medical card. He's got a caregiver's card and I believe his wife has a medical card. He knows the system in Michigan and could more intelligently comment on it than I could.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    justice has been served, next!
    Shaner, trolling me on this subject will be unsuccessful. LOL

You are in that part of society that would rather spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to prosecute someone for 31 dollars worth of weed and then house them for 20 to 30 years just to "teach them druggies a lesson".
    Here's an economic lesson for you. If they had put her on intensive probation for a few years it would be profitable to prosecute as she would have fines, probation fees, etc. She also would have been responsible for her own living arraingments. By sentencing her to 30 years, we, the tax paying public, have to foot the bill for her housing, medical, legal, etc. as well as providing for her children which are now wards of the state. None of it makes any financial sense. None of it.
    Shaner, trolling me on this subject will be unsuccessful. LOL

You are in that part of society that would rather spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to prosecute someone for 31 dollars worth of weed and then house them for 20 to 30 years just to "teach them druggies a lesson".
    Here's an economic lesson for you. If they had put her on intensive probation for a few years it would be profitable to prosecute as she would have fines, probation fees, etc. She also would have been responsible for her own living arraingments. By sentencing her to 30 years, we, the tax paying public, have to foot the bill for her housing, medical, legal, etc. as well as providing for her children which are now wards of the state. None of it makes any financial sense. None of it.
    i was trolling in general but if you think that was aimed at you then so be it lol
    I just knew you were trolling sir. Carry on.
    edited March 2011
    fiscal responsibility is a concept our lawmakers talk about to make people feel better about getting ass fucked by the government. its never going to change broski. neither party is going to change. just like your boys who want to repeal the healthcare law. gonna dump over 230 billion on the national debt and stop almost 30 million people from getting healthcare, if thats not the American way i don't know what it.
    i was trolling
    More seriously, I think this is a waste of everyone's time. Just like 99% of speeding tickets. Go catch the real criminals please, kthx.
    More seriously, I think this is a waste of everyone's time. Just like 99% of speeding tickets. Go catch the real criminals please, kthx.
    speeding tickets have a purpose thou. if police didn't speed check people hot shot brohemoths who think their vin deisel would be doing like 120 down mainstreet
    I should have been more specific I guess. Highway speeding. City speeding should be fully ticketed, I agree, but highway speed limits are absurdly low.
    This is getting off topic so I apologize, but I think highway driving should be a privilege for people that pass a more difficult test, and the speed limits should reflect that. I would be happy with a 160 limit, and with shouldering the risks that go along with that as long as everyone else on the road was verified to be capable as well. THOUGHTS?