Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Folk Metal Project/Paper--Paper posted for those interested.

1234568»

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    @britt - funny. When I read your paper I totally thought you meant to say "the Europe". Almost like you were trying to give then area some sort of respect or importance. I wonder if the professor will circle that word.

And yeah I wasnt trying to be nit picky on your sources of Folk Metal. Like I originally said, the research required to give an accurate and complete understanding of this topic is daunting. I didn't envy the task you had set yourself up for.

As I said, I think there is room to debate about the origins, however I do not believe your professor is going to be in the position to entertain that discussion.

all in all, good paper. I really wasnt trying to be critical of what you submitted. I'll bet you get a decent grade.
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    Quorthon didn't start writing about Norse mythology until Hammerheart (1990) .... creating the whole viking metal scene

viking metal =/= folk metal (just to reiterate)
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited April 2011
    I agree that viking does not equal folk metal.... But I do think they are closely related. It's kinda like saying that black does not equal death (and I agree) but they are very closely related. If this was a paper on NuMetal, I would not be claiming Venom or Bathory deserve any credit. But I do think that Bathory's work was a big direct influence on the genre of folk metal.

• StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    for me.... it all lies on skyclad, cruachan and falkenbach

black metal was where it came from (to an extent, your bathory/venom argument).... but these 3 bands are what defined the genre.