Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Folk Metal Project/Paper--Paper posted for those interested.

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    :-(
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    :O
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    its a pretty common saying..... or so i thought
    I thought so too.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    i was just trying to make MC feel better
    edited April 2011
    i was just trying to make MC feel better
    :)
    y do evil eybrows keep showin up? lol
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    My parents are dead broke, about to be evicted from their house and my brother is starting college in the fall and they still have to take care of my sister, so no, I'm on my own. Loans and grants and scholarships and shit like that. Fucking sucks.
    you are just full of surprises :)

I did the same thing. It is funny... when I went to UW, living in Seattle (like most big cities) is costly, but I found this room for rent that was directly across from campus for 150 a month!! What is really funny about that is it was a baptist student union. Basement was reserved for baptist to go out and convert the world, but the top two floors were rented to broke college students. They could have easily charged 400 more and they would have sold out. I find it humorous because I'd study while listening to death metal in my room in the baptist student union. funny! anyways... part time job in the computer labs, or interning, loans, and cheap living and I was able to make ends meet. My first job out of college had me making more then all four of my parents put together :)

its pretty stupid to go into debt for something you can't make money on,. you might love it now but when the time to pay them loans back comes you'll be singing a different tune. thats all i gotta say
    I think in general this is a true thing to say, but something tells me that things will work out well for her. She is obviously a very intelligent woman, and I have a feeling she very soon wont be having money problems. (please forgive what i'm about to say because I dont know her nor am I a future teller) But in general she is on a path to making herself very attractive to both the professional journalism world but also to other ivy league gentlemen. With her credentials and intelligence, I have no doubts she will land an amazing job after graduation, and it is likely she will marry rich. Not saying she would marry someone for dough, but usually women in the sort of career probably wont be falling for your typical auto mechanic. Lots of guys have problems with their girl making more money then they are.... I think she will do alright for herself. (and if whoever she is dating is on here - sorry bro. lol)

and worst case, she declares bankruptcy. lol.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited April 2011
    im personally surprised shes not in broadcasting classes, seeing as she does a radio show. even if she did that on the side it would still be something to fall back on

that metal director things shes about to do at the collage station would look pretty good on a resume
    im personally surprised shes not in broadcasting classes, seeing as she does a radio show. even if she did that on the side it would still be something to fall back on

that metal director things shes about to do at the collage station would look pretty good on a resume
    I am not taking broadcasting classes because I simply do not want to go into broadcasting as a career. And one of the main reasons I'm taking the metal director gig is because it will look great on my resume, the other being I can't let any of the other twits take it.
    its pretty stupid to go into debt for something you can't make money on,. you might love it now but when the time to pay them loans back comes you'll be singing a different tune. thats all i gotta say
    I think in general this is a true thing to say, but something tells me that things will work out well for her. She is obviously a very intelligent woman, and I have a feeling she very soon wont be having money problems. (please forgive what i'm about to say because I dont know her nor am I a future teller) But in general she is on a path to making herself very attractive to both the professional journalism world but also to other ivy league gentlemen. With her credentials and intelligence, I have no doubts she will land an amazing job after graduation, and it is likely she will marry rich. Not saying she would marry someone for dough, but usually women in the sort of career probably wont be falling for your typical auto mechanic. Lots of guys have problems with their girl making more money then they are.... I think she will do alright for herself. (and if whoever she is dating is on here - sorry bro. lol)

and worst case, she declares bankruptcy. lol.
    Aww. It makes me smile to know I'm thought of so highly. :D My interests just happen to line up with things that are more academic and generally lead to a job in the so-called "intelligent" fields. Also, as for marriage, I do not plan to marry, but I'm not going to marry for money if I do. Money is not something I care about. I've been broke most of my life, so I don't care either way if that changes as long as I see some of the world and have fun and have stories to tell. I'd date someone that I find mentally stimulating. And I am not dating anyone on here, let alone anyone at all. I could probably come up with a better response if I had more coffee in me. One requirement though: guy must like coffee.
    I wasn't saying you would Marry for money, but only saying that if you did marry the dude would probably have it do to demographics. Love does crazy things, but I find it difficult to believe you are going to be intellectually stimulated by some brick layer. Yeah, it could happen... But probably more likely you will end up falling for some colleague or someone you meet in these sort of social circles. All I was really trying to say is that I disagreed with Shane's comments as they pertained to you, even though his comments are true in the general sense. don't give up on the dream :)

I find it difficult to keep track of whose dating who around here. lol. I have down that Shane is with Judy, but that is about it. I guessed I assumed that most girls here had someone they were with or are crushin on. I need a map of whose who
    oh and I have the perfect guy for you... most think he is a little creepy. and there is the fact that there was reasonable suspicion that he is a serial killer, but it is important to note that those charges were completely thrown out on a technicality. And yeah, its a little odd that he wears dresses and is often caught smelling peoples underwear at public laundromats.... But let me tell you, this dude LOVES coffee!! He sleeps naked on coffee beans! Your requirement has been met!
    oh and I have the perfect guy for you... most think he is a little creepy. and there is the fact that there was reasonable suspicion that he is a serial killer, but it is important to note that those charges were completely thrown out on a technicality. And yeah, its a little odd that he wears dresses and is often caught smelling peoples underwear at public laundromats.... But let me tell you, this dude LOVES coffee!! He sleeps naked on coffee beans! Your requirement has been met!
    :-))
    I wasn't saying you would Marry for money, but only saying that if you did marry the dude would probably have it do to demographics. Love does crazy things, but I find it difficult to believe you are going to be intellectually stimulated by some brick layer. Yeah, it could happen... But probably more likely you will end up falling for some colleague or someone you meet in these sort of social circles. All I was really trying to say is that I disagreed with Shane's comments as they pertained to you, even though his comments are true in the general sense. don't give up on the dream :)

I find it difficult to keep track of whose dating who around here. lol. I have down that Shane is with Judy, but that is about it. I guessed I assumed that most girls here had someone they were with or are crushin on. I need a map of whose who
    I know what you're trying to say. :) And I will probably indeed find someone in that social circle.

I couldn't date anyone online, or from online. I've done that once, big mistake.

I couldn't date anyone online, or from online. I've done that once, big mistake.
    yeah. there are a lot of pitfalls one needs to avoid to successfully date someone they meet from the internet. I'm sure most internet meetings end bad. I think I have formulated a good system for avoiding those pitfalls :)

My theories are untested though.
    Which are what?

I met him online and found out he lived 2 towns over from me, so the whole online thing only lasted like a week. He turned out having a major Napoleon complex. Only guy I ever cheated on. Whoops.
    lol. I'd hardly call a week long internet romance a fair shake at internet dating.

well the first and most important step in my theory of successful online dating is- controlling your feelings. internet life isn't real life, and you don't fucking love someone you have never met or spent any real life time with. I understand controlling how you feel is hard to do, but it is an absolute requirement. The second thing you need to do is meet in real life as soon as possible and when you do meet it needs to be handled like a "blind date" because really that is what it is. You don't know this person. I understand you might think you do because you have talked to them on a message board for a year but really you don't. I repeat, internet personalities are not equal to real life personalities. Thirdly, talking on the phone is not a substitute for real life meeting. That is really the bulk of my theory... All regular dating tips are still applicable. If they live too far away, nope, walk away. Something telling you that something is off with this person? Nope, walk away. Did you discover that they love smelling peoples underwear and were acquitted of being a serial killer on a technicality? Nope, walk away. ;) basically use common sense and my three steps above and you might make a love connection online
    So, I totally didn't meet the word count and it's really really shitty, but whatever, fuck it. I'm tired. My professor is a crazy Hungarian guy, he'll let me slide. Don't give me that tl;dr shit...read it if you like, if you can take a break from fucking drama.

Folk Metal Fosters Familiarity Between Cultures

Folk metal is a modern genre of music that is prevalent in the Europe today. Folk metal has a tendency to wash over listeners and not let them go, causing their minds to seek out more cultures that are not like their own. Folk metal is a genre of music that immerses the listener in both cultural histories and the merging of cultural traditional sounds with that of modern metal music. Folk metal is the future of good metal music.

Since metal music’s inception, the dedicated listeners have generally stuck to music from North America and the United Kingdom. The recent advent of folk metal by the English band Skyclad in 1990 created an alterative for metal fans that were seeking, whether known to them or not, a way to expand their cultural views and learn about other cultures’ stories, while enjoying a tune that was catchy to their ears. Since the 1990s, folk metal has taken hold of the Scandinavian metal scene, with notable bands emerging from mainly Finland, Sweden, and Norway. Bands on the forefront of the folk metal scene have brought their cultures to the minds of fans through using folk stories collected throughout their history and some bands even choose to sing in their original language, therefore preserving the authenticity of the stories, such as the Finnish band Ensiferum singing in both Finnish and English and Swiss band Eluveitie singing in both English and the language of their roots, Gaulish.

The genre of folk metal uses a variety of instruments to get the loud, yet soothing folky sound that is backed by a metal idiom. The band Eluveitie, an eight-piece group, uses various instruments ranging from guitar, both electric and acoustic; bass, drums, piano, and folk instruments such as mandola, pipes, whistles, gaita, bodhran, violins, hurdy gurdy, and bagpipes. The addition of the folk instruments over the traditional popular instruments used in most hard rock and metal bands create a very accessible sound that is very successful in bringing in new fans and retaining them.

Much folk metal music deals with the question of religious identity in connection to original cultures. In an essay entitled “Scandinavian Metal Attack: The Power of Northern Europe in Extreme Metal,” Imke von Helden wrote:
    there is a certain tendency against Christianity as the destroyer of the Heathen religions in Northern Europe. This attitude might be comprehensible since most bands come from black metal. However, there is a further dimension to that: the Pagan religions--through and umbrella term for various forms of belief--share among them a pronounced reverence for nature, which can also be said of pagan metal. (von Helden pg. 36).

Many folk metal bands, Eluveitie for example also identify with the term “pagan metal”. The song “Tegernako” by Eluveitie deals with the desires of a Celtic clan wanting to be free from the oppression of Roman conquerors, who would eventually squash the Celtic religion in the region on Helvetia, Switzerland. In the chorus, lines spoken include: “True and plain freedom - of this natures clan/True and plain pride - of this Celtic clan/True and plain dignity - Tegernako!” the question of why to resist the conversion to Christianity is answered. All basic human desires are being pressed upon. The words “true and plain” give the notion that the resisters in the song want to stay the way they are because they are doing their natural duty, not giving themselves up for money or social status. The treasures of “freedom,” “pride,” and “dignity” are what any person would fight to the death for if their way of life was being encroached upon. The beginning of the song starts off with a very happy build up, lending to the thought that everything was happy. Then, the song kicks in with loud drumming, augmented with flute, violin and harsh vocals that are the trademark of folk metal bands. This burst of sound can be seen as the actual clash between the Helvetian Celtic clan and their Roman enemies. Halfway through the song, the harsh vocals and drumming disappear, and the folk instruments take over, giving the listener the impression that peace was restored, but the chaotic overtones are brought back soon after they ceased, leaving the listener to believe that the Helvetians lost the battle for their land and identity.

Without songs such as Eluveite’s “Tegernako,” the struggles of the world outside the present incarnation of North America and England would not be known to a younger generation that is growing up in an predominately Anglophile world. It is important for the growing generation to acknowledge that there have been people before them and those people struggled through oppression, while trying to retain their own sense of freedom, pride, and identity. Eluveitie vocalist Christian “Chrigel” Glanzmann said in an interview that with journalist Chad Bowar “old traditions and ancient cultures and especially the one of our ancestors mean a lot to us…the ‘folk aspect’ in our sound receives a remarkable large room in our music - it’s on equal footing with the metal instruments and it’s also very important to us, that it’s implemented in a really traditional and authentic way.” (Bowar). When musicians such as Glanzmann apply the view of authenticity in folk metal, there is no way that the memory of the certain, relatively unknown cultures will die and not be studied in respect to Anglo-centric countries.

While folk metal is mostly being produced by Scandinavian musicians, the advent of the internet has allowed global access to the genre and has created a demand for folk metal bands to tour the world, bringing their folk instruments, body paint, kilts, and stories along with them. Folk metal is an unstoppable genre at this point in its history. It’s only going to get bigger, bringing more awareness of historical stories and struggles to the young masses interested in having a good time with listening to something somewhat intellectual.
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    shouldnt the quote be in quottion marks?
    imageimage