Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

MARCH MADNESS OF MUSIC 60s to 90s

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I stick by my story forever, Pink Floyd is the greates band to ever unite. Me and you agree on alot of music, but this is not one of those times. If i had a choice to listen to one band the rest of my life, it would be floyd. I think you should grab the pulse DVD, sit back relax and you'll be extremely impressed. I just think you never really got into floyd and you have it stuck in your head that they are some kind of robot type experimental band and that's just not the case. If you give them a chance and listen to them, you will like, I have no doubt about it. Welcome to the Machine is not one of my favorite song either, it is an experimental song, that's why floyd is so great, they have so much variety in their music also mixed with alot of simplicity and simply jamming out. you need to open up man, Floyd is great broseph, you have a fron in fron of them that is simply a false complex of the band. btw, i donot love every floyd song, the song on th run drives me insane, i cannot stand that song. but there are only a very few songs by floyd that i donnot like, the majority of their music is great toi me. I really wish you would give them a better listen, from a bro to a bro.
    I would chose Floyd too if I had to pick only one band to listen to for the rest of my life. Except there are "floyd" albums I would toss... Momentary Lapse of Reason is the first that comes to mind. I'd like to pretend that album doesnt exist. Also, I'd really rather fight that I want Roger Waters Discography which includes most of Floyd (minus Division Bell and Momentary Lapse Of Reason). Although I dont hate Division Bell, I would easily give it up for Radio KAOS, Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, and Amused to Death.

BOB SEGER 5
    BOSTON 3
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    BOB SEGER 5
    BOSTON 4
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Roger Waters is a great songwriter and muscian. David GIlmour owns the guitar, and they others were good a what they do. Wright had an amazing voice and was great on the keyboard. I love Roger Waters, but I'm different in the fact that although I think Monetary lapse was the worst album, I also appreciate the music and songwriting skills the other memebers produced. When they reached their peek Dark side and Wish you were here, gilmor and waters wrote almost every track with alot of the members also given writing credits. although waters wrote most of animals, dogs is my favorite song which was also written by gilmour. I get what youre trying to say, but i think their best music came from a group effort, not just from waters and from what i read and understand waters was asked to leave the group because he became too much of a nazi pushing his beliefs and terms on everyone and not giving everyone equal share. if you look throughout the disography, all of their great songs even from the 7 albums before darkside were co written by all the members. I think PF was successful afte rwaters departure and wrote decnt musci that is a hell of alot better than most of the crap that was coming out at the time. pulse was one of the best tours ever imo. waters also went on to have a successful solo career, i seen him in 2006 and it was the best show i ever attended, i just think they were and always will be the best as a group. btw, i missed gilmour in NY in 2006, i didnt have the money at the time and i'm still kicking myself in the ass, that was the last time gilmour and wright performed in the US together before Wrights death, RIP. but I'm still praying they put their issues aside and do a tour some day soon with gilmour, waters and mason. recent events such as live aid, a small show in london, and gilmour agreeing to playing a few songs with waters in london on the wall tour show there may be some hope. i would do anything to see that tour. supposedly waters said he would be open to the idea, but gilmour and mason said they werent and they thought there reborn relationship with waters was going great and why risk that on new music and a tour, but like i said recent events suggest otherwise. we can only hope. [-O<
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    wait a sec, does george like pink floyd?
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    wait a sec, does george like pink floyd?
    {Upload|5890}
    and from what i read and understand waters was asked to leave the group because he became too much of a nazi pushing his beliefs and terms on everyone and not giving everyone equal share.
    Let me just say that I get what you are saying and agree with most of it.

However, I don't think the quoted text above is accurate at all. Yes Roger had turned into a Nazi towards the end of his time with Pink Floyd. He had wrote all of The Final Cut and recorded some I believe, and the band (especially Gilmore) had asked roger to hold back releasing it because he wanted to write some of it to get writing credit. Roger basically refused. He didnt want them to fuck up the masterpiece he had created... And in a lot of ways I can understand why he took this position. Really he had become the largest driving factor of the band, and he didn't want to compromise his art. Can you really fault him?

I agree Gilmore is a great guitarist. Love his sound... But I also feel that when you have someone like Roger, the band should have just been happy with going along for the ride. Gilmore should have worked more with roger to help compose some of the guitars but that is it. The problem is, they wanted more involvement in "their" band, and roger wasn't willing to allow them to fuck up "his" band.

I'd be very content with listening to Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, Wall, TFC, Pros and Cons, and Radio KAOS. Those are 8 of my all time fav albums.
    Yeah but that's the point of a band, it's not just "Roger's band" it's everyones band. I disagree with you fully in that line of thinking. Gilmour was the main vocalist and lead guitarist, in fact everyone in the band should have a say in what is written. and to say the other members would fuck up waters masterpiece and band is just ridiculous beacause all of them as a whole made that band successful. I get that you like Waters alot, but you have to realize Pink Floyd is not just "his" band, they created great music as a whole and whn Roger thought it was "his" band he was kicked to the curb. the defination of a band is a company of people having a common purpose. If Waters didn't want to be in the band and as a group write songs together, he should have left before he was asked to leave. and again, Waters did not write all the songs, in fact only about an average of 1-3 an album. they were best as a group.
    it was only towars the end waters became power hungry and wanted to control the entire thing. listen, i love all the members of floyd, especially waters and golmour, but it just isnt true that waters is the only reason they are successfull and the other should have shut up and went for the ride, that is just false.
    *waits for wake's response* :-W
    it was only towars the end waters became power hungry and wanted to control the entire thing. listen, i love all the members of floyd, especially waters and golmour, but it just isnt true that waters is the only reason they are successfull and the other should have shut up and went for the ride, that is just false.
    yeah I dont disagree with you. Really my response was more geared to how Roger was thinking, and not necessarily how I fully view things. I do understand why Roger thought that way, and don't disagree with him leaving the band.

You know... Pros and Cons was an album Roger wanted to do more then The Wall concept. It was the band that outvoted him picked his Wall concept to do first. That vote was really the beginning of the end. Had they been supportive of his Pros and Cons concept, then they might have never broken up. And honestly, Pros and Cons is one of my favorite all time albums, which is why I give him more credit then the others.

edited March 2011
    Really Hoods I dont disagree with you... I loved Gilmore's sound. I loved all the work they did together. I probably would have preferred for them to stay together. I think the only difference between us is that I understand Rogers position more then you (I think), and I am willing to forgive him from walking away considering the albums he released afterward. Had he stayed and released those albums with Gilmore's guitar additions, they probably would have been better then what they already are.
    I agree with you, if Roger wanted to just do his own thing, he should have just left before it got to the point of others asking him to leave. I think nowadays Roger really wants to do a reunion with Gilmour and Mason and possibly write new songs from the interviews I've heard and supposedly a few years ago Roger was under the impression that Gilmour was a no go, but recently they played a few songs together at a small club and it was Gimour's request and Gilmour also agreed to play some of the Wall tour shows with Waters. Hopefully they can put the garbage past behind them and move forward. I would love to see another Floyd album, all we can do is hope. But it seems they're definately in the right direction these last few years and they recently signed a contract for a record label, maybe theres a bright future!
    Really Hoods I dont disagree with you... I loved Gilmore's sound. I loved all the work they did together. I probably would have preferred for them to stay together. I think the only difference between us is that I understand Rogers position more then you (I think), and I am willing to forgive him from walking away considering the albums he released afterward. Had he stayed and released those albums with Gilmore's guitar additions, they probably would have been better then what they already are.
    I don't think any of us can say we know exactly what went down or happened, it just seems like Waters was the cause for the breakup from what I've read, but noone knows really but them.

I totally forgave Waters, I love Waters and I credit his Darkside tour of 06 as one of the best shows i've ever been to. I mean he was a writer and muscian of my favorite band of course I like Waters, I just think other members especially Gilmour deserve more credit then just someone who was along for the ride cause that's not true. Gilmour had a huge part in the legacy of Floyd as he wrote and cowrote most of the songs also, and so do the other members, they all had a part. I like all the members of the band as they all had an influence on creating my all time favorite band. All I want now is for them to get back together for a tour and possible new songs.

I would love to see another Floyd album,
    you're dreaming. I think we'd see another album from Pantera before we saw another one from Floyd (and that aint happening either). I could see them getting back together for a reunion/farewell tour, but that is the most I would ever think could happen. Roger just isnt there anymore. Hell, his last album was a opera!
    maybe i'm dreaming, but you never know man, Roger is the one whoom i've heard state he would be open to the option of reunion tour and possibly another floyd album. Gilmour's last CD was alright, he can still rock the shit out of the guitar. Waters can still play, and I'm sure they have unfinished songs and songs theyre holding on to in case. I think Waters would definately be up for it, I just think it's up to the other 2 remaining members. But first, let's get a tour, lol.

It may be a dream, but as long as theyre still playing music the dream is still alive \m/
    seger wins

BOB MARLEY 0
    THE EAGLES 0