Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**The Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread**

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Why do you rank A Saucerful of Secrets so high?
    I love that album, it is the first album they really started exploring the experemental side. the actual song saucerfull is a masterpiece imo. this is the album that defined floyd's turning point into the direction of experimental rock and propelled them into what they became.

I don't follow. How is Piper not experimental? both albums are *very* similar. What you call experimental, I call chaotic. And don't take chaotic to be a negative term.... it isn't necessarily negative. Some people love chaos, and I can understand that mentality. I do not.
    My favorite floyd song list would probably be something like

1. Brain Damage / Eclipse (This shouldnt count as 2 songs)
    2. The Trial
    3. The Final Cut
    4. Wish You Were Here
    5. Dogs
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I agree with your phase concept, but once again, I think their best work is as a group. I gave you my reason for like saucer, it was a turning point in their career to the experimental side. My favorites are the ones where the group put in a full effort. from meddle- Wish you were here, but i also love the old stuff and you admitted you never gave it much of a listen, so you should give them a good hard listen before you jump to conclusions. just because they were on drugs does not at all mean the music is bad. I think you love Waters and that is great I love Waters too, but imo with you it's either waters or the highway and that's just not the truth when it comes to theis band. and i also totally disagree with AMLOR and division bell being rubbish, that just shows your biased with Waters. those 2 albums are great, seriously listen to them again with more of an open mind. I agree with your concept theory, but not about how you explained it.
    I love that album, it is the first album they really started exploring the experemental side. the actual song saucerfull is a masterpiece imo. this is the album that defined floyd's turning point into the direction of experimental rock and propelled them into what they became.

I don't follow. How is Piper not experimental? both albums are *very* similar. What you call experimental, I call chaotic. And don't take chaotic to be a negative term.... it isn't necessarily negative. Some people love chaos, and I can understand that mentality. I do not.
    I donnot call it chaos, i already explaned to you twice why i liked saucer. I'm sure someone could say all PF's the same and you would disagree, that's how i feel about the 1st 2 albums. piper is experimental, but saucer is where they took the path they did. once again, go back and listen to the older stuff.

sorry to rush, but i gtg, i will continue talking about this in a bit ;-)
    edited March 2011
    opinions \m/
    btw this is what i love about floyd, noone agrees on their favorite albums cause they are all great. something out there for everyone.... i gtg though, be back in a bit... \m/
    it would take me a while to try and put together my 5 favorite songs, but i can try...
    I actually didnt get into Floyd until College, and it was a site I found called floydradio.com that brought me in. It was a great site to listen to while I did my studies. they played floyd 24-7, commercial free, randomly from all albums. That internet site led to me purchasing every studio floyd album released + pulse and delicate sounds of thunder.

When I said I rarely listen to the earlier work, that doesnt mean I never do or never did. On average listen to a Floyd album daily if not more. However after listening to some of the albums a few dozen times, I realized that I just don't like some nearly as much as the stuff I ranked higher. I wouldn't have come up with my Pink Floyd phase theory had I never really listened to them.

I discovered Roger's solo work several years after I had got into Floyd. And before I got into Roger's work, I really wanted to force myself to like all of Floyd discography because I loved Meddle, Obscured by clouds, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you were here, Animals, The wall, and the final cut. I probably forced myself to listen to "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" at least 30-50 times because I was convinced I was missing something. My best friend (who is a huge Zeppelin fan but mostly hates Floyd) would tell me "Dude... AMLOR is the best album Floyd ever made. I love that album". So I tired and tried because I trusted his opinion.... and really just always hated it. I do like The Division Bell, however I've heard the writing process for that album was a little different then AMLOR. Anyways.... It wasn't until I finally discovered Roger's solo work that I realized how much of a fan I was of him. On the first listen of his 3 solo albums and I was "Jesus! this is fucking gold. This is what I love about Floyd".

Anyways, I am telling you the above because you seemed interested in my journey into floyd. Although Now I am heavily biased towards Roger's work, it was not always that way in the beginning. Have you ever listened to Roger's solo work?

I donnot call it chaos, i already explaned to you twice why i liked saucer. I'm sure someone could say all PF's the same and you would disagree, that's how i feel about the 1st 2 albums. piper is experimental, but saucer is where they took the path they did. once again, go back and listen to the older stuff.

sorry to rush, but i gtg, i will continue talking about this in a bit ;-)
    I think you missed what I was asking. I understand your explanation of why you like Saucer, and don't need a different explanation. However you said "Saucer was a turning point into the direction of experimental rock", and what my question is- Why do you say that? What I don't follow is why do you differentiate Saucer from Piper? Not why you like Saucer more then Piper.

Let me give you an analogy... If I said "I love The Wall because it is such a huge turning point in the band", wouldn't you say "uhhh... how so? They were doing Roger concept albums for the previous 6 albums"

That is my question... I get you like Saucer and that is cool, and I don't think you are wrong for liking Saucer. I'm curious why you consider it a turning point when it IMHO is similar to their first album. you even said said both Piper and Saucer were 'experimental'...
    Yes, I listened to Roger's solo work and I like it, I like it alot. Actually I"m gonna bust out his shit and listen to it again since we've been talking about it so much, lolz. I am a huge waters fan, but I am also a huge Gilmour fan, honestly besides syd, I never heard the others solo work, but I would like to.

I'm glad you explained how you got into Floyd, everyone deserves to get into this band, I just disagree with a few of your statements and that's fine, thats whats great about Floyd, we all like somethig different about them.

I guess my favorite thing about Floyd is seeing them evolve through their albums. From like you said, the drug induced madness, i think they are masterpieces and love them and Saucer was light years before it's time. to pretty much there as a group years, to where Roger wasnt getting along with the other band memebers to afterwards and solo shit. I love Gilmour's solo albums so much, if you havent heard them please listen if you love great guitar work.

We all have our own opinions and that's fine, I just think you give Roger all the credit for Floyd's work when the other members deserve credit too. I wish they would have all got along and everything was great, but i am not upset about it, cause imo there many years apart has recently brought them closer together and hopefully to a reunion tour.

I think you missed what I was asking. I understand your explanation of why you like Saucer, and don't need a different explanation. However you said "Saucer was a turning point into the direction of experimental rock", and what my question is- Why do you say that? What I don't follow is why do you differentiate Saucer from Piper? Not why you like Saucer more then Piper.

Let me give you an analogy... If I said "I love The Wall because it is such a huge turning point in the band", wouldn't you say "uhhh... how so? They were doing Roger concept albums for the previous 6 albums"

That is my question... I get you like Saucer and that is cool, and I don't think you are wrong for liking Saucer. I'm curious why you consider it a turning point when it IMHO is similar to their first album. you even said said both Piper and Saucer were 'experimental'...
    I dont totally think they sound exactly the same and you cannot compare them to the concept albums, it's a totally different ballgame and I think you will agree with me about that. IMO Piper was more of a demo type get on the map album they were playing the same songs for years as to when they came out with saucer they stopped trying to get their name out there and just started making the experimental music they love.

like lemme give you this for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD5Xy0RYbI4

this sounds alot like the beatles still a harmony and keeping in simple and catchy... and i dont think thats who or ever were. alot of the first album was experimental compared to other bands at the time, but they didnt reach their full potential until Saucer, you get what i'm saying?
    my 5, i couldnt decide on the last 2...

Dogs
    One of These Days
    Echoes
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond/Comfortably Numb

others i like alot...

Sheep
    Time
    If
    Have a Cigar
    Echoes
    Interstellar Overdrive
    Jugband Blues
    Pigs
    Money
    Great Gig in the Sky
    Another Brick in the Wall
    Hey You
    Comfortably Numb
    Mother
    Young Lust
    Astronomy Domine
    Absolutely Curtains
    High Hopes

I dont totally think they sound exactly the same and you cannot compare them to the concept albums, it's a totally different ballgame and I think you will agree with me about that. IMO Piper was more of a demo type get on the map album they were playing the same songs for years as to when they came out with saucer they stopped trying to get their name out there and just started making the experimental music they love.

like lemme give you this for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD5Xy0RYbI4

this sounds alot like the beatles still a harmony and keeping in simple and catchy... and i dont think thats who or ever were. alot of the first album was experimental compared to other bands at the time, but they didnt reach their full potential until Saucer, you get what i'm saying?
    Thanks. yeah I agree and see what you are saying.
    my 5, i couldnt decide on the last 2...

Dogs
    One of These Days
    Echoes
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond/Comfortably Numb

others i like alot...

Sheep
    Time
    If
    Have a Cigar
    Echoes
    Interstellar Overdrive
    Jugband Blues
    Pigs
    Money
    Great Gig in the Sky
    Another Brick in the Wall
    Hey You
    Comfortably Numb
    Mother
    Young Lust
    Astronomy Domine
    Absolutely Curtains
    High Hopes

My first thought looking at your list was "How can you leave off the Trial!!!!!!" lol.
    Yeah ure right, I'm sure there's others I missed I did it kind of quick I'll do it more thourough later B-)
    Oh good. I honestly don't have many talks with real floyd fans, so sometimes I wonder if I am alone in the things I like about them. The Trial is one of those songs that I just feel should be on every pink floyd fans list of songs. It's so good! the characters, the plot hitting the climax.... I love the whole wall album but that song is just the icying on the cake and the cherry on top. Without it, The Wall would be really flat.
    yeah man, like i said, i was rushing real quick tryna throw songs togehter, i'll make a legit list sometime later..
    ... and trust me, I am a diehard FLoyd fan for over a decade they've been my favorite band. I've listened to every album, watched most of their DVD's and listend to most of their solo work. PF is by far my favorite band so you are not alone.
    I'd really like to have a conversation about "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking".

Now obviously the album is a concept album that is about a guy and this crazy dream he has... However did you pick up that the album is happening in real time? Like the first song's name is "4:30 AM" and its actual length is 3:12 minutes long; The second song name is "4:33 AM" which is 4:30 + 3:12 = 4:33:12 drop the seconds from the name. Third song is "4:37" which is 4:33:12 + 4:08 = 4:37:20 drop the seconds. I LOVE this concept!

And I love how real real it is... Like the dude is dozing in and out of consciousness and it starts out in his boring old station wagon with his boring old wife.... and then they pick up this girl who he is really attracted to in his dream and his dream ends up moving his wife out of the picture and turning his station wagon into a Lamborghini... I love the imagery and how many layers he has to this shit.
    It'd been a long while since I listend to that album, I dont even know if I have it, I have to search through my thousands of bruned CD's to listen to it again to really give an opinion on it. I know I listened to it before along with all of Waters other albums, it's just been a while, you know? If I do have the album, it's prolly a burnt copy, I'm going to the CD store tonight, I'm gonna look to see if the have it. I know I have Amused to Death, but not sure about pros and cons. I like Roger's style, he's a very smart and talented guy and has great musical abilites. The guy wrote or co wrote pretty much every song from my favorite band, I love everything he has done for Floyd and I love his solo shit that I've heard. I remember drinking and listening to it alot with my buddy years ago and digging the hell out of his shit. but, like I said, it's been a long time since I listened to his solo work, so I have to listen again beofre I can give an opinion on your statement. I'm definately gonna listen though, I'm like feining for some Floyd from talking to you. I'm gonna go to the CD store and see what I can find!

btw... I haven't forgot about the song rankings, I just want to take my time and try to put the best list out there I can and not forget anything, there were a few other songs I was pissed at myself for leaving out, so I'll post that shit as soon as I'm done, might take a while, lol.
    edited March 2011
    Sweet. I'm happy to hear you are going to purchase it. Let me just say though, and you probably already know this, but the greatest thing about Roger's work is there are so many layers to it. You can listen to it for years and pull new subtle shit from it that you have missed the previous 100 listens.

Pros and Cons is quite possibly my favorite album for that very reason... there is so much shit there. Ill follow this post up with a few more things I love about the album that you wont get from casually listening to the album....

ANd Amused to death is so far down on my list of roger water rankings....My Roger Waters disgrophy list (including work done with with floyd would look something like:

1. Pros and Con's of Hitch hiking (I really love concept albums and this is a flawless concept)
    2. The Wall
    3. Wish You Were Here
    4. The Final Cut
    5. Radio KAOS
    6. Animals
    7. Dark Side Of The Moon
    8. Meddle
    9. Obscured By Clouds
    10. Division Bell
    11. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    12. Amused to Death

Don't get me wrong, I like amused to death, but really it is my least favorite album of his solo work by quite a bit.