Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**The Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread**

Comments

• HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    ^ that is my favorite version of that solo ever played. even better then on the original album. \m/
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    edited March 2011
    Pink Floyd is IMO the 3rd best rock band of all time..

The Who
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Queen
    Rush
    The Beatles
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Aerosmith
    The Doors
    AC/DC (or Fleetwood Mac)
    inb4lists
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    One time I was really high and the Live 8 performance made me cry.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    wake, y u no talk about Pink Floyd in the PF thread???
    I check this thread but most of it is youtube. And when I try and view youtube at work, my computer does something like

Other than the original Led Zeppelin, and maybe Queen, Pink Floyd's PULSE tour is the one tour i wish i was around and able to go to.
    inb4lists
    edited March 2011

How was I shitting on anything?

Even if The Final Cut were a masterpiece, I still don't like it as much as The Wall, and I don't like The Wall as much as any of the albums that came before it (save Ummagumma and their film soundtracks More and Obscured by Clouds, and maybe Saucerful). Therefor, before the wall>after the wall.
    My bad. I thought you had included the wall in your original comment. and thus you were lumping 'The Final Cut' in with 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason'. I love the final cut so basically considered that an insult. Furthermore since The Final Cut is an extension of The Wall and they sound very similar with similar plots, it would seem silly to like one but hate the other. But you are saying you arent really a big fan of the wall. So That would make sense you wouldnt like TFC.

edited March 2011
    my ranking of FaceFuck's ist. imo flyod owns all, no other band has created anything like the music they have over the past 4-5 decades(i'm including solo shit). They are original and bring all other types of genre;s together to make beautiful music. there is nothing in the world like floyd and never will be. there a once in a lifetimes band. anyway, heres how i'd rank that list..

Pink Floyd
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    The Doors
    Rush
    Queen
    AC/DC
    Aerosmith
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    But I am a big fan of The Wall!
    I just don't love it as much as the early albums.
    you mean TheNobleFaceHumper ? that wasnt my list.
    whoops, my bad..
    My list would look something like:

Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    The Beatles
    Frank Zappa
    Hendrix

top 5 is good enough me thinks.
    my ranking of FaceFuck's ist. imo flyod owns all, no other band has created anything like the music they have over the past 4-5 decades(i'm including solo shit). They are original and bring all other types of genre;s together to make beautiful music. there is nothing in the world like floyd and never will be. there a once in a lifetimes band. anyway, heres how i'd rank that list..

Pink Floyd
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    The Doors
    Rush
    Queen
    AC/DC
    Aerosmith
    I agree with you most part, i love absolutely everything David Gilmour has ever done, they are one of the 3 greatest bands ever, I'll just leave it at that.
    inb4lists
    edited March 2011
    although I think Led Zeppelin has had a greater (more positive) influence on music. More so then either Pink Floyd or The Beatles. Now I understand to the general public, The Beatles crush Led Zeppelin. However among musicians, I think Led Zeppelin is easily king. How many times has Black Dog been ripped off? Everything about that band screams "iconic". I personally like Pink Floyd way more, however I'd never claim they had a greater influence on music than Led Zeppelin did.
    I know this is off topic, but what are your thoughts on Chickenfoot?
    inb4lists
    although I think Led Zeppelin has had a greater (more positive) influence on music. More so then either Pink Floyd or The Beatles. Now I understand to the general public, The Beatles crush Led Zeppelin. However among musicians, I think Led Zeppelin is easily king. How many times has Black Dog been ripped off? Everything about that band screams "iconic". I personally like Pink Floyd way more, however I'd never claim they had a greater influence on music than Led Zeppelin did.
    I agree, Zepplin has been more of an influence on music. and youre right many of their songs have been ripped off over and over again. However, I do think floyd is just on another level, they took waht everyone else was doing at the time and made it into their own special genre. zepplin may have had an influence on other muscians, but i think flyd had more of an impact on music as a whole by showing that you can do and creat anything. I just love pink floyd :p
    Agreed. curious... did you get into Floyd or Zeppelin first? I first got into Floyd before which then got me into Zeppelin. I ask because I wonder if there could be something to which one you got into first?
    I started listening to them around the same time. When I was a kid I got into my dad's CD's and I remember the first song's I heard by the was Money by PF, and Stairway to Heaven by LZ. As I got older and into my teenage years I started listening to floyd more and more. I went from Darkide, then Wish you were here, then once I heard Animals I was sold, I was sold beofre that, but Animals is my favorite album all time with my all time favorite song being dogs. I saw the pulse DVD around the same time and that was and still is my favorite music DVD, just so extrodinary. as i got older and into my late teens i relaized PF had a shitload of albums out even before Darkside and that's when I got into that stuff and then I could listen from back in the 60's to present and see how this band developed into what they are today. It's pretty amazing how they evolved and pretty much created their own genre.

I am a casual Zepplin fan, theyre great, I give them respect, but theyre not one of my favorites. IV being my favorite album by them. To be totally honest, I never really like Plant's voice. I love the band, theyre great and on alot of tracks I can digg plants voice but overall I think that's is why I don't put them on the level as I do Floyd or The Beatles.

I do however credit these 2 bands into getting me into good music. These were 2 of the first bands I ever heard. Along with Hendrix, Metallica, Nirvana, The Who, The Beatles, ect. Those were the types of bands I first started listening to when I was like 10ish. I still love them all today. I've gotten into alot of other music, I dont stick to one specific genre, but Floyd is definately by far my favorite band and I've been saying that for at least 10 years. Pink Floyd FTW \m/
  • MarcusMMarcusM Posts: 2,059 just the tip
    Today in my Art of Human Rights class, the professor played Another Brick in the Wall at the end of class. I was like.
    :-? because it seemed out of place.

But then I was like oh well! \m/
  • A_Beautiful_TragedyA_Beautiful_Tragedy Posts: 259 salt miner
    So glad I went see "The Wall" a few weeks ago. Defiantly a night I'll never forget. Fantastic show.
    That show was amazing...Roger Waters was so good, I had to see it twice <3

soo pissed I missed that show, they played 3 shows in philly too... I just didn't have the extra monsy to spend :-S