Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**The Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread**

Comments

• NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    So glad I went see "The Wall" a few weeks ago. Defiantly a night I'll never forget. Fantastic show.
    That show was amazing...Roger Waters was so good, I had to see it twice
    Indeed it was.

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited March 2011
    So glad I went see "The Wall" a few weeks ago. Defiantly a night I'll never forget. Fantastic show.
    That show was amazing...Roger Waters was so good, I had to see it twice
    I flew from NY to Seattle to see that show \m/

I must confess though... I only did that because I bought the ticket the April before the Dec show... and lost my job in June. I hadnt planned on flying from NY to Seattle to see the show but since I already had the ticket... why not.

It was fucking awesome too. My favorite part is when they were sang mother... He sang "Mother should I trust the government" and then right afterwards in big red wall style letters it says on the Wall prop they were building "NO" and the crowd went really wild and then 20 seconds later added in big red wall style letters "FUCKING" and the crowd went wild and then 10 seconds later it adds in big red wall style letters "WAY". It was just so epic. such a good show... I just wish I had a front row seat.

• HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    why yooz gotta rub it in [-(
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer

I am a casual Zepplin fan, theyre great, I give them respect, but theyre not one of my favorites. IV being my favorite album by them. To be totally honest, I never really like Plant's voice. I love the band, theyre great and on alot of tracks I can digg plants voice but overall I think that's is why I don't put them on the level as I do Floyd or The Beatles.

Zeppelin is just so epic I don't even know where to start. The thing I think is weird about them, is when I hear their name I just think they are a great band and I don't feel the need to listen to them like I would if someone mentions Floyd. However really, Zeppelin doesnt have a bad album and when I start listening to them I can't put it down until I've played their discography. Every fucking album is gold. I always think IV is their masterpiece, but honestly 1V isnt that much better then any of the others. One of my favorite songs of theirs is also one of their most simplistic. "Thank you". I just feel like that song is so personal and I eat it up... Physical Graffiti? fucking fantastic. IDK... I guess I can understand not liking Plant's vocals, but he has such a epic classic rock sound... there is so much soul there. I love Zeppelin.
    I saw Waters in 2006, i'm actually wearing the shirt right now. it was the darkside tour. one of the best shows i ever been to. i really wish i went this past year, just didnt have the extra money, i put all my money in down payments for weddings and finally got caught up financially about a month or 2 ago <_>
    I saw Waters in 2006, i'm actually wearing the shirt right now. it was the darkside tour. one of the best shows i ever been to. i really wish i went this past year, just didnt have the extra money, i put all my money in down payments for weddings and finally got caught up financially about a month or 2 ago <_>
    yeah... I didnt really have the money to go either, but I just couldnt pass up the wall being played in its entirety. Plus the stage show was just fantastic. Loved it.

Zeppelin is just so epic I don't even know where to start. The thing I think is weird about them, is when I hear their name I just think they are a great band and I don't feel the need to listen to them like I would if someone mentions Floyd. However really, Zeppelin doesnt have a bad album and when I start listening to them I can't put it down until I've played their discography. Every fucking album is gold. I always think IV is their masterpiece, but honestly 1V isnt that much better then any of the others. One of my favorite songs of theirs is also one of their most simplistic. "Thank you". I just feel like that song is so personal and I eat it up... Physical Graffiti? fucking fantastic. IDK... I guess I can understand not liking Plant's vocals, but he has such a epic classic rock sound... there is so much soul there. I love Zeppelin.
    Yeah man, Zepplin is great! the are one of the cornerstones of music. theyve been such an inspiration to so many other artists and to the music worl as a whole. I can always get down with some zepplin, i just like floyd better, that's all. plant's vocals imo opinion arent bad, i just don't really like the highpitches style of singing, but it definataley went perfect with the band and their sound. Zepplin will always mean alot to me because theyre one of the first bands that got me into music along with floyd. and Page is just The Master on guitar. theyre another band I would love to see do some kind of reunion tour. prolly wont happen, but like i said with floyd, if theyre still playing music, it's always a possiblity!!!

yeah... I didnt really have the money to go either, but I just couldnt pass up the wall being played in its entirety. Plus the stage show was just fantastic. Loved it.
    I could have went with my mom, her friends got luxury box tickets with waitress service, bar, good food in it and a great seat, but it was really expensive, i just could not afford, trust me i am pissed at myself bigtime for not going. everyone has raved about how great the show was, it makes me fucking rage at the fact i didn't go. I should have held up a liquor store or something, lolz ... I just emptied alot of money on my wedding the month before, i just couldnt afford, and everyone loved the show so much, makes me sad
    :-S
    yo wake, how would you rank the floyd albums?
    tough one... hmmm... let me think about it. But I get the reserve the rights to rearrange my list because my favorite Floyd albums change from time to time depending on my mood.
    1. The Wall
    2. Wish You Were Here
    3. The Final Cut
    4. Animals
    5. Dark Side Of The Moon
    6. Meddle
    7. Obscured By Clouds
    8. Division Bell
    9. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    10. Atom Heart Mother
    11. Ummagumma
    12. Soundtrack from the Film More
    13. A Saucerful of Secrets
    ----
    9999999. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

Couple things.... Really the top 9 are mostly what I listen too. I rarely will listen to 8-13. The majority of my floyd listening is 1-6. I never listen to Momentary Lapse of Reason. And I didnt include pulse on purpose.... greatest hits dont count in lists like this.
    yo wake, how would you rank the floyd albums?
    what are your rankings?

it's funny... I just searched the inet to see what others ranked the albums and some people are really fucking stupid. Like this list for example :

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Wish You Were Here
    Dark Side Of The Moon
    Meddle
    Animals
    The Division Bell
    The Wall
    The Final Cut

Uhhhhh.... What? Why the fuck would anyone rank Piper #1 and then follow it up with those 7? I can understand someone ranking Piper #1, but if that is the case then the list should have been followed with "A Saucerful of Secrets" and probably some of the earlier shit. It probably wasn't around Meddle that the albums started having focus and direction.... I think before meddle they were just more driven by the drugs then the art.
    my list would look something like this...

Animals
    Meddle
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    Darkside of the Moon
    Atom Heart Mother
    The Wall
    Wish You Were Here
    Obscured by Clouds
    The Final Cut
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    The Division Bell
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    Ummagumma
    More

you should really take a good listen to piper, atom, and mother... i think you'll dig the originality of those ones. I really cant see any list going wrong, all their shit is good including momentary, i dont think you give that album ebough credit cause Waters left the group, i agree, its not their best, but is better than most bands best shit. it is not that bad. you should listen to it again...

these songs rule from mommentary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT2VPk2Y9mk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-Nacm-pKc&amp;feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1B8NX_fv3s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_Fu6JW0fM
    Why do you rank A Saucerful of Secrets so high?
    the reaons i have AHM so high btw is cause its currently stuck in my head, i been listening to it all week, but i agree with you to an extent, besides the 1st two albums animals and meddle, the others can change in any given mood.
    Why do you rank A Saucerful of Secrets so high?
    I love that album, it is the first album they really started exploring the experemental side. the actual song saucerfull is a masterpiece imo. this is the album that defined floyd's turning point into the direction of experimental rock and propelled them into what they became.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSsjxbRxgqY
    edited March 2011
    I have listened to all Floyd albums numerous times, and really I think my list is very representative of the type of person I am. I am not sure if it is apparent, but I think like an engineer. I love order, complexity, things being exact, and non chaotic. Floyd really had 3 maybe 4 phases in my humble opinion.

1. Drug induced chaos phase - first 2-3 albums where they are in total chaos. There is no structure, they just did a SHIT load of LSD and that was the result. I am not claiming that this music is bad (at least not right now) however this is how I see this phase. I don't fault someone for liking chaotic music.

2. Identity Crisis phase - Syd, who was leading the band, went crazy and the band lost their identity... they still continued on the drugged chaos, but without sid there was something missing. You might group these albums with #1 which is why I said 3 maybe 4 phases.

3. Roger Led years - Meddle to "The Final Cut". These albums are very much the opposite of the albums in #1. They are incredibly complex with many layers. They had a clear purpose and Roger was driving his vision. Yes for some of the albums in this phase, the other members had a lot to contribute, however Roger was clearly the driving force. It had ceased being Syd's band and now was Waters. These are the albums I am in love with.

4. Gilmore led years - AMLOR and The Division Bell. I don't have much to say about this rubbish. It is pretty bad. Learning to Fly is the only redeeming song on AMLOR. I like the division bell but not nearly as much as the earlier work. I'd best describe this phase as failing to make an album like Roger... Just not having the genius to create an intricate album and failing soundly.
    Post edited by WakeOfAshes on