Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official NHL thread**

Comments

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    i think there needs to be a more clearer line with what is considered a penalty shot
    The way I understand the rule is if the player is clearly on a breakaway, that is, no one is between him and the goalie, and he gets taken down, it should be a penalty shot no matter whether he gets the shot off or not. Also, the defender throwing his stick at the player breaking away is an automatic penalty shot.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    where is that at?
    It's right behind each net.
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    tell me if yooz think this is a penalty shot???? i almsot broke my TV when i was watching this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piskr4tbvbI
    tell me if yooz think this is a penalty shot???? i almsot broke my TV when i was watching this...

I couldn't really see anything from that video. However, if the defender did close his hand on the puck in the crease, it is a penalty shot.
    yeah I saw those trapezoids but then I was looking in corners and going "I DON'T SEE ANY TRAPEZOIDS" haha

wait so he can't enter the trapezoid or the boxes outside of the trapezoid?
    The rule is the goalie can't play the puck behind the red line outside of the trapezoid.
    Yes, but it's an unnecessary rule that the NHL put in after the lockout....they need to just get rid of it.

I couldn't really see anything from that video. However, if the defender did close his hand on the puck in the crease, it is a penalty shot.
    whatever, this was the only goal the blackhawks could score on us... we whooped their ass that day anyway...
    yeah that's what it seems like..
    They put it in to increase scoring, but all it does is risk more injury from players racing for a puck a goalie could have played.
    if you watched the olympics last year, which i'm sure yooz all did. there were no refs fucking up the game... i think the NHL should just mimic international hockey and get rid of all that instigating shit and just let the players play. too many times we see the refs interfere with games... they should go unnoticed
    I remember when the lockout happened and all, but what was it all about?
    money
    I remember when the lockout happened and all, but what was it all about?
    The collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and the players' association expired, and they couldn't get a new agreement in place, so they cancelled the 2004-2005 season. Kinda like what the NFL and NBA are facing right now.
    if you watched the olympics last year, which i'm sure yooz all did. there were no refs fucking up the game... i think the NHL should just mimic international hockey and get rid of all that instigating shit and just let the players play. too many times we see the refs interfere with games... they should go unnoticed
    True....I don't think there's anything terribly wrong with the NHL right now though. They've finally cracked down on hits to the head. Just fix the shootout rules and get rid of the trapezoid and I'll be pretty content.
    The main sticking point in those negotiations was the implementation of a salary cap, which is why we can't sign everyone we want to anymore.
    yeah, i like the way the game is more fast paced and they got rid of the red line... they fixed alot of shit, but some of the rules are still ridiculous. the high stick rule, trapezoid rule, shootouts, and the instigator penalty they can do without...
    I'm glad they have a committee who works on these rules now.....the less Bettman gets his hands on the NHL, the better....
    list of experimental rules after the lockout...

In case of a tie game after overtime of regular season games, there is a shootout with five shots per team in the AHL and 3 shots per team in the NHL, and if it is still tied, the shootout becomes sudden death. The shootout would be similar to what is used in most minor leagues which have adopted the rule, such as the ECHL. When the NHL resumed play, shootouts were cut to an initial three shots per team.

The "tag-up offside" rule that was eliminated in 1996 was reinstated for 2004–05. An attacking player is considered offside if he enters his offensive zone prior to the puck entering the zone.

Between 1996 and 2004, if a player was offside, the play would continue only if the attacking players cleared the zone and allowed the defending team to carry the puck all of the way out of the zone.

The tag-up offside rule allows for play to continue as long as all offside players are clear of the offensive zone simultaneously by touching the blue line (and "tag up") prior to touching the puck or becoming involved in the play.

Goaltenders' leg pads were reduced in size from 12" (30 cm) to 11" (27.5 cm). This rule was postponed for a season, but by the resumption of the NHL, the leg pad rules were in effect. However, the original proposal was to cut the pads down to 10" (25 cm).

Automatic ("no-touch") icing, as enforced in other minor leagues such as the ECHL (as well as in European ice hockey leagues such as Elitserien), was enforced. An icing infraction is called immediately when the puck crosses the goal line.[5] This rule did not continue into the next season of the AHL or NHL.

Blue and red lines were doubled in width, from 12 inches (31 cm) to 24 inches (62 cm). This added additional space to the neutral zone in between the blue lines. Passes would still be allowed from the defensive edge of the blue line to the offensive edge of the red line.

Goal lines were moved two feet closer to the end boards, from 13 feet to 11 feet. The blue lines were moved to maintain a 60-foot attack zone in a 200-foot rink.

During the first seven weeks of the 2004–05 AHL season, an experimental rule added a new trapezoid-shaped zone directly behind the net, restricting the area where a goaltender may play the puck behind the net. This rule was approved permanently after the seven-week experimental period.

These rule changes combined to make games shorter by 10 to 15 minutes per game, therefore "improving" the quality of the game by having less downtime.

Besides the shootout and trapezoid rules, those were all improvements.
    yeah, they improved alot...
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    I should have went pro with hockey.