Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official NHL thread**

Comments

• myplagueRobmyplagueRob Posts: 1,375
    i think it does help having home ice advantage... if the flyers had home ice, it might be a different story...

but you still can't explain your GM's dumbass moves???
    That is why he was fired. He is now in Florida and still making dumbass moves. However, his team did go and win a cup and that's really all that matters. For all those people in Chicago who had been wanting a Stanley Cup win for the last 47 years I think? Well they got it, and that can never be taken away from them.

But he does have a point, as long as you get to the playoffs, it doesn't matter what you did in the regular season. Look at your team. They get in at 7 from winning a shootout in the last game of the season and go on to go to the Finals.

By the way, thank you for winning that shootout. I can't stand the Rangers fans bragging about losing in the 1st round of the playoffs.
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    nah, i know anything can happen... stats just show teams with home ice have a slight advantage. The Flyers were better then their record showed last year and I think they showed everyone that in the playoffs. they changed coaches last season and it took them a while to adjust to the new system. i think 20 games into last season the flyers were in 2nd to last place when they changed coaches, then they come one game from winning it all... theyre lucky they got in... that's why, even though i was crushed they didn't win the cup, i can accept it cause they came from nothing and persevered and almost won the whole damn thing...
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Aren't the number one seeds almost never actually in the finals though? I can't even remember the last one that was. I'm sure it was somewhat recently, but it seems to matter less in Hockey than in any other sport .
    Carolina, Anaheim, Detroit
    Carolina, Anaheim, Detroit
    nvm, i just looked it up actually mostly all of them were 2nd seeds with the exception of detroit, and including chicago... time for the Flyers to change that shit this year...
    still the top seeds have a better chance then the lower seed just for the fact that they have the better teams... there was only one 8 seed , in the last 6 years, it was the oilers...
    Believe me I'm sure every team would prefer to have it, but it's obviously not even close to being the be all end all. In fact, it might even put more pressure on those top seeds. The Hawks wanted it last year, but if you just sweep the team (San Jose), that had it, it takes any "advantage" away.
    it's definately not the be all end all... home ice, like i said, is just a slight advantage...

look at what the Flyers did to Boston last year. they were down 3-0 and came back and won 4 in a row. 2 of them in Boston, then in game 7 the Flyers were down in the 1st period 3-0 in goals and came back to win the game 4-3, so you're right, anything can happen...

it's just rare a 7th or 8th seed makes it to the finals, and it's really rare a team makes it back down 3 games to 0. 3 times in NHL history to be exact.

imo, i want the FLyers to be the 1 seed, make a statement. they have the unfinished business attitude and i personally like. they play every team hard no matter how bad their record is. i want them to be the best team and go in the playoffs confident and ready to do some damage. i don't want them to fall to a lower seed jsut cause some people would think it's more pressure. no pressure on the Flyers, whoever's playing them, the pressure's on them. Flyers have 3 scoring lines and their 4th line is filled with great defensive forwards. they have 3 number 1 defensive pairings. this team is built to take anybody and i'm fucking fired up!!!!

GO FLYERS!!!!!

Oddly enough the Hawks had far more trouble with Nashville (7 seed) in the first round then they did with Vancouver, San Jose, or Philly. It could be that Hawks hadn't found their "game" quite yet, but there isn't much difference between 1's and 2's and 7's and 8's.
    edited February 2011
    since 1994 when they started the 2 conference system 1 eighth seed made it to the stanley cup finals. 0 eight seed won it. 8 number 1 seeds won the stanley cup since then... there's a huge difference...
    Post edited by HOODS on
    Pens/Caps before the superbowl (:| :-q
    Forsberg signed with Avs for remander of the year...
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the 2001-2002 Red Wings team, aka one of the best teams ever assembled, was a #1 seed and won it all.
    Oddly enough the Hawks had far more trouble with Nashville (7 seed) in the first round then they did with Vancouver, San Jose, or Philly. It could be that Hawks hadn't found their "game" quite yet, but there isn't much difference between 1's and 2's and 7's and 8's.
    The Hawks should have lost to Nashville last year. If Nashville takes care of the puck in the last minute of the third period of Game 5, the Hawks are looking at having to win Game 6 in Nashville to stay alive. Shows you how quickly things change....
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    since 1994 when they started the 2 conference system 1 eighth seed made it to the stanley cup finals. 0 eight seed won it. 8 number 1 seeds won the stanley cup since then... there's a huge difference...
    what you are forgetting, though is the lockout evened everything out. How many since 2005?
    what you are forgetting, though is the lockout evened everything out. How many since 2005?
    I donno I'm not home to look. You're right, anything can happen and the Flyers and Canadiens proved that last year. But its a fact higher seeds have a better chance to make the finals even since the lockout. And all the teams who won the cup were high seeds.
    Nashville gave the Hawks massive trouble everytime they played each other in the regular season as well. For some reason the Blackhawks did not play Nashville well. Something about the Preds system gave them fits, although they overcame their problems to obviously beat them.

That Oilers run to the Finals was awesome.
    Ducks sign goalie Ray Emery, plan to send him to minors

The Ducks, in need of a veteran goaltender for their organization, have signed Ray Emery to a two-way contract with the intention of assigning him to Syracuse of the American Hockey League.

Because he's not going directly to the NHL team, he would have to be placed on NHL waivers. The Ducks planned to begin that process at 9 a.m. He would clear at 9 a.m. Tuesday. His contract will pay him $500,000 in the NHL or $105,000 in the AHL.

• fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    tomorrows new, islanders claim emery off waivers, emery says he will not report
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    He's going to get claimed.....

Datsyuk is coming back tonight, and not a game too soon.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Reported from an NHL source to Newsday (major Long Island newspaper) that the Islanders will NOT put in a claim for Emery.

The plan in claiming Nabokov was to have him and DiPietro alternate, and send Kevin Poulin back to the AHL. Rick is now hurt for 4-6 weeks, so even if Nabby or Emery did report, Poulin would still be up here. So rather than have him be the backup, they just want him to get the majority starts.

Also, nobody will most likely claim Emery because he is nowhere near NHL ready. He will need a long time to shake the rust off in the minors. This deal was probably meant to set the Ducks up goaliewise for next season. Hiller starting and Emery backup.