Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

the draft is coming back?

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    alec i think your reasoning is a little off man. i dont feel 'entitled' because im lucky enough to go threw life without experiencing the horrors of war. If they did that evryone would be shipped out to afghanistan or iraq eventually and they we would have a nation of fucked up ptsd mental cases instead of the sad few we have today, still to many if you ask me. it would also promote more military engagements because we have the resources, obviously something we dont need as a country. forced military service should only be used in dire circumstances like world war 2.
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    world war 3 in november
    imageimage
  • Alec29Alec29 Posts: 3,864 juggalo
    Nola, this country is full of people who NEVER have to pull their own weight. I was reacting to the idiotic comments about "going to Canada" or "refusing" to do the right thing. What I said was that every able-bodied adult should give two years of service to a country that has given them everything. Didn't necessarily mean go off to a war in some foreign land. The military and civil service is so much more than that. I think you are taking a narrow view of what constitutes serving your country.
    The view that having a military encourages wars is like saying i have a car therefore I must race it rather than drive it. Having a well-trained, well-equipped military actually discourages others from attacking us.
    going to canada
    imageimage
  • cannibiscorpsecannibiscorpse Posts: 5,577 salt miner
    Why? Females aren't required to register with selective service at this time.
    I think you are taking a narrow view of what constitutes serving your country.

So you think that if everyone has two years of forced military service that at least all the boys wouldnt see afghan. or iraq? cmon now....

The view that having a military encourages wars is like saying i have a car therefore I must race it rather than drive it. Having a well-trained, well-equipped military actually discourages others from attacking us.

i very much disagree. with our country the way it is I see it being a big mistake. we had no right to go to iraq, vietnam, korea and now we want to go into iran and kill 10000's more of our countries children? tell me what all of our engagements have accomplished since world war 2 excpet massive deaths and war atrocities. if every abled body was forced into military service that would be sooo many people. im sure our wonderful govt would just train them for good and not use them for there dirty work : /

I WANNA BE ON DEGRASSI DAMNIT!
    imageimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    Alot of you guys seem to be having difiiculty grasping that there is no draft. You still have to register with the selective service. If you don't you can lose your right to vote, your driving privileges, you won't be eligible for any student loans or grants, and it makes you a complete douche.

i got an id and what not....but i forgot to sign up for the draft when i turned 18 :/
  • rammstein516rammstein516 Posts: 3,720 juggalo
    I think of all the wars the USA has been in since World War II, Desert Storm was the only one that made a good bit on sense. Operation Deep Freeze made some sense but that doesn't really count as a war.
    Nola, the mail carrier is a civil servant. The National Guard troops do more than "go to afghan. or iraq". They guard the homeland and such. Nobody said "two years of forced military service". I said two years of service. Volunteer at the Red Cross or homeless shelter, etc.

Who said we are going into Iran? I watch the news every day and must have missed that one. Korean conflict accomplished giving freedom and democracy to hundreds of thousands of people who were about to be forced into Communism. Viet Nam was a fiasco due to the fact our own government bailed on the troops they sent to fight an unwinnable war. The Iraqi conflict removed a genocidal dictator and gave the Iraqi citizens a chance to create their own government.

i got an id and what not....but i forgot to sign up for the draft when i turned 18 :/

there is no draft. you get a selective service card and thats it.
    Nola, the mail carrier is a civil servant. The National Guard troops do more than "go to afghan. or iraq". They guard the homeland and such. Nobody said "two years of forced military service". I said two years of service. Volunteer at the Red Cross or homeless shelter, etc.

well ur very confusing, people werent saying they were going to canada on here because of forced homeless shelter work. if you want every american to do some sort of civil charity work or what not then i could support that more but i strongly disagree with forcing people into military action unless it is absolutley neccessary.

Who said we are going into Iran? I watch the news every day and must have missed that one. Korean conflict accomplished giving freedom and democracy to hundreds of thousands of people who were about to be forced into Communism. Viet Nam was a fiasco due to the fact our own government bailed on the troops they sent to fight an unwinnable war. The Iraqi conflict removed a genocidal dictator and gave the Iraqi citizens a chance to create their own government.

Iran and north korea are the united staes biggest targets in these days. no one thought we were going into iraq for the second time but look how that turned out. our govt is not to be trusted and will use bullshit excuses to get use into wars. im pretty sure i dont need idiots like george bush who keep everything hidden from the american people telling me which engagements are worthy of my life, i can make that decision on my own. now you just said above that we fought in iraq to remove a genocidal dictator and that justified us going into there. well then what about iran? seems pretty similar to me...
  • 1DisturbedMthrFckr1DisturbedMthrFckr Posts: 1,027 juggalo
    edited July 2010

there is no draft. you get a selective service card and thats it.
    If/when there ever is another draft, all of those who are registered for selective service, are in the drawing. The Universal National Service Act would extend that to all able-bodied persons ages 18-42, women included. But I highly doubt this bill would ever see the light of day.

If/when there ever is another draft, all of those who are registered for selective service, are in the drawing. The Universal National Service Act would extend that to all able-bodied persons ages 18-42, women included.

true. getting your selective service card doesnt mean your entered into a draft, it means if a draft is instated you could be called upon if you meet the requirements
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    We are not invading Iran. It's not happening.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    We are not invading Iran. It's not happening.

says soem 18 yr old kid in cali..... u could of said the exact same thing about iraq in 2001....
    im not implying we are invading anyone but the iranian and north korea threat is real whether u chose to believe it or not
    Nola, while I agree with some of what you've stated I can't see how Iran and North Korea are targets. They are being watched by every nation in the world but I wouldn't call them targets. Both Kim jong-Il and Achmedinejad have stated they had nukes and wanted an excuse to use them. The US has only imposed economic sanctions against both and never even hinted at war.

Two years of military service is perfectly acceptable. Our miltary has spent more time at peace than at war. Fear of war or going to war is a weak excuse. I have neices and a nephew that are in the military and none of them are going overseas.

If the government is expected to hand out grants and other funds for college then they should expect a return on their investment. It's no different than a hospital paying for a nursing student's education and then having them work for them for a contracted amount of time afterwards.

Again, I'm not saying "forced military service". Please don't get confused.