Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Wrestling thread WWE & AEW

Comments

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod

NBA Twitter when AEW came on after the game lol

• LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Anyone watching the Royal Rumble?
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
  • ThatGuyArloThatGuyArlo Posts: 1,430 jayfacer
    I am. Haven't really kept up with WWE but this is my favorite event of the year so I always make sure to watch it. 
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Yeah I don’t watching wrestling nearly as much as I used to when I was younger but I usually catch most of the wwe ppvs. But I’m with ya I’ll always watch the rumble and mania
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,715 jayfacer
    edited May 2021
    So I fell all the way behind on wrestling and jus recently started speed watching everything since it was all still on the DVR. I was far enough behind that I jus now saw the Royal Rumble in April lol.

So I jus finished watching WrestleMania today and holy fuck literally nothing has changed. Edge wins the Royal Rumble and you build him up for 3 months only for Roman to still fucking keep the belt? And I said it before the match too that if they wouldn’t let Edge beat him then there’s literally nobody in that locker room they will allow to beat him and he’s bout to hold the belt hostage literally forever. Fucking trash. 5+ years of the fans making it very well known that nobody wants this lame ass mf force fed and they still continue to do it. 

And that’s not to mention how bad they fumbled the Fiend. Holy fuck what in the fuck was that? WrestleMania was a hot steaming pile of dogshit all the way around.
    Oh and AEW has officially lost all steam. They wanted so bad to be the alternative option to WWE yet all they keep signing is WWE leftovers and has beens way past their prime. I don’t give a fuck about an old ass Big Show or an old ass Matt Hardy or an old ass Christian or an old ass Sting. And that’s not to mention all the younger WWE mfs they signed that were all lower card for a reason, like Zack Ryder and Rusev.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    an old ass Christian 
    Suck my dick all the way from the back 
    He used to be the man and was one of my favorites back then but there’s a reason WWE barely used him these days. Then AEW gets him and advertises it as a “major signing” before the reveal. An old Christian in 2021 is not major. Nobody cares anymore.
    I love Christian, one of my all time favs. But yeah that dude old as shit, move over.

I really like heel Reigns though
    It only made sense for Roman to win at Mania. Sure Edge could have gotten the win by pinning Daniel Bryan but that was predictable. Roman is booked real strong. I say a babyface Brock Lesnar should be due to return. 

NOCAP said:
    I say a babyface Brock Lesnar should be due to return. 
    Please God no. Stay gone.
    WWE doesn’t have any stars besides Reigns and Brock. Who would beat Reigns? Daniel Bryan about to retire again and Edge is too old for it to be believable. Lmao

Sadly true. Brock is even worse too cause he literally holds the title hostage and can’t even be counted on to at least have one match per PPV, let alone even showing up on the weekly shows.

Both options are garbage.

And it’s funny because meanwhile they’re going the opposite direction on Raw. Bobby has absolutely no kind of swagger or charisma, and he’s absolute dogshit on the mic. He literally NEEDS MVP as a mouthpiece. Meanwhile Drew was an actual star as champion and had natural swagger, charisma, and size/athleticism, and could cut great promos all on his own. I don’t like any one wrestler holding the title hostage for too long, so he didn’t need to keep it, but why downgrading to Bobby was the next logical step is completely beyond me smh.
    Bobby is actually the best he’s been rn. He had a group called The Hurt Business which was very popular but Vince decided to break them up which was a bad choice. WWE just doesn’t have any stars rn. It might be the worse it’s been in a very long time. 

AEW is terrible too but for some reason it’s more entertaining than WWE so I watch every Wednesday because it’s so bad it’s funny. Nothing ever makes sense and Omega and the Bucks are terrible champs. 

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    How the fuck do they not have any stars? What have they been doing for the past 10-15 years? 
    NOCAP said:
    Bobby is actually the best he’s been rn. He had a group called The Hurt Business which was very popular but Vince decided to break them up which was a bad choice. WWE just doesn’t have any stars rn. It might be the worse it’s been in a very long time. 

AEW is terrible too but for some reason it’s more entertaining than WWE so I watch every Wednesday because it’s so bad it’s funny. Nothing ever makes sense and Omega and the Bucks are terrible champs. 
    No I know lol I had all the weekly shows on DVR so I speed watched everything not jus the PPVs. Broke up The Hurt Business as soon as Bobby got the belt lmao did em super dirty and Cedric and Shelton bout to fade back into irrelevancy. But Bobby as a solo wrestler still has zero presence or mic skills. He constantly speaks so stiff and monotone as if he is literally reading off a sheet of paper and he STILL stutters and trips over his words every other sentence. Dude has negative charisma and star power lmao. Having him as a minor champ like US or Incontinental like before worked decent enough, but he jus ain’t the move as one of the main champs.
    How the fuck do they not have any stars? What have they been doing for the past 10-15 years? 
    The thing is when it comes to actual in-ring talent, it’s the highest it’s ever been. And that has a lot to do wit wrestlers having to go thru NXT first, which focuses more on straight up technical wrestling over the storylines and theatrics. But they haven’t focused much on building stars outside of the actual wrestling. 

And when they do have a natural organic star, they always find a way to bury it. Bray Wyatt’s newest gimmick “The Fiend” is a perfect example. He was naturally extremely over wit the fans, #1 merch seller, all that, and they have actively fucked and ruined him at every turn. He’s billed as an unbeatable supernatural character, like a new Undertaker, yet when he was Universal Champion, they brought Goldberg out of the old folks home for his one match of the year, to beat the Fiend after a couple spears and a botched Jackhammer in under 3 minutes to take the belt. That was the start of it (And also displays how WWE and wrestling in general can’t let go of the past, which is a separate discussion.) and it’s all went downhill since, to the point that the character is essentially a dead joke at this point, especially after what they jus did at WrestleMania this month. The Fiend had a long running beef wit Randy Orton, which dates back 5+ years ago, but they brought it back up. It culminated in December wit Randy Orton literally “killing” the Fiend by burning him alive at TLC. They took advantage of not having a crowd, so they placed a decoy of the Fiend in the ring while the camera turned away, then Randy doused it in gasoline and lit the whole body on fire and watched it burn as the PPV faded to black.

Fast forward, he was gone for 3 months leading up to WrestleMania, but the storyline was kept in motion via his sidekick, Alexa Bliss, who was essentially possessed by him and had his same powers. She does some rituals to bring him back, and at Fastlane, the PPV before WrestleMania, he comes back from the dead by popping thru the bottom of the ring and attacking Randy, burnt mask and clothes and all. Afterwards, the revenge match between Fiend and Randy at WrestleMania is made official.

So Randy literally killed him according to storyline, so this is now where you bring him back to get his revenge and absolutely dominate Randy in brutal fashion at WrestleMania, right?

No. He gets a maybe 5 minute long match at most and LOSES to a single RKO, because Alexa turns on him during the match and distracts him. (Which is later explained that she has all his powers by herself and no longer needs him.)

And then that was that. All that buildup and all that effort for literally nothing. Not even a dub at WrestleMania. Effectively turning the most interesting and unique character that they had going into a complete fucking joke that is no longer believable as any kind of threat. And they still coulda had Alexa turn on him, but let him dominate Randy first, then she turns on him after the match, opening the door for a new storyline. Anyone wit half a brain would book it like that, but no, they completely fucked it up, fumbled the bag, and absolutely buried their best character in the process.

Long story short, this is precisely why they don’t have any stars anymore.
    Yeah as a casual watcher it's tough to figure out who's on top right now. Wrestlemania was fun but some of the storylines were hard to follow. 

That being said, I'm so happy to see Bobby Lashley in such a major spot right now. The first wrestling show I went to was in 2007 and he was the #1 contender for Cena's belt so I always have a soft spot for him.
    They have very talented workers just very bad booking. The product is very bland and comes off as phony. Anytime an organic star starts to rise, Vince kills their push because it’s not who he wants to be on top. The only person that can draw money right now is Roman Reigns. Brock if he comes back and maybe Becky Lynch because she was extremely popular in 2019. The pandemic exposed WWE’s flaws without fans and it’s going to be very hard to repair that.

• MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    NOCAP said:

Nothing ever makes sense and Omega and the Bucks are terrible champs. 
    I don’t think they are terrible champs it’s just they don’t have the talent like they faced in New Japan. Okada, Naito, Tanahashi, and so on are leagues better than what they have on AEW and that’s why Kenny was so fucking good. They just need to build up their new talent and sign some bangers. Omega vs Joe would be great.