Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The MCU/DC Discussion and Spoiler Thread

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    edited January 2020
    If I watched the movie, you'd still say my opinions are dumb and wouldnt read the explaination. Been through it for StarWars. Why would I waste my time watching something I know Im not going to like, when you wont accept my opinion anyways? 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    See the cool thing about stories is that they are made up from your imagination. You can tell a story one way, and then reimagine all the characters any way you want, and it can be great. Who gives a fuck if it was told the way the comic books were. It was no doubt inspired by them. So it IS a joker movie. 
    See the cool thing about stories is that they are made up from your imagination. You can tell a story one way, and then reimagine all the characters any way you want, and it can be great. Who gives a fuck if it was told the way the comic books were. It was no doubt inspired by them. So it IS a joker movie. 
    So why even have characters at all then? 
    If all you care about is the archetype, then all fiction is reduced down to that. 
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    Why have movies and tv shows at all if we cant please MC with them? Lmao..how are you happy with anything?
    imageimage
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    If all you care about is the archetype, then all fiction is reduced down to that. 
    Because its still inspired by the source material and is still telling a similar story through the character's journey? 
    Because its still inspired by the source material and is still telling a similar story through the character's journey? 
    Its not though =)) =)) =)
    edited January 2020
    Why have movies and tv shows at all if we cant please MC with them? Lmao..how are you happy with anything?
    I am happy with a lot, actually. Thanks. 
    It literally is
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,790 jayfacer
    Thanks man. I'm sitting here trying to take a shit but was super constipated and all I had to do was read MC's posts and shit came traipsing out of my asshole at 20mph
    It literally is
    Its literally not, but ok 
    It literally is
    Its literally not, but ok 
    It literally is but k
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    I've seen and read enough fan comments, reviews, and plot summaries to know. Its amazing what supplementary material can offer you these days. 

The Joker is NOT: mentally ill, socially retarded, un-charismatic, dumb, feeble, misunderstood, unsure, insecure, nor a product of some uncaring corrupt society, as portrayed in the movie. I mean this Joker isn't really even bad or evil. 

His existence is to provide antithesis to Batman, he's Batman's #1 arch villain. He's not insane, he's super-sane. He's fully aware of the fucked up things he does, he enjoys doing them. He's evil, not misunderstood. He's charismatic enough to convert other professional criminals and super villains to his cause, to convert Harley, a doctor who specialized in dealing with asylum patients, into falling in love with him. He's smart and unpredictable enough to outsmart Batman, the greatest detective who ever lived. He isn't a product of an uncaring society, he's the kind of character that doesn't give a single fuck about society. 

"But what about the origin for Killing Joke", you're taking ONE small part of ONE short story out of an 80 year history of the character, that was SUPPOSED to be a false origin for the character, because he made all that shit up. A story he fucking shot and crippled Batwoman, stripped her naked, kid napped her dad, and forced him to see the pictures as a form of mental torture. 

Do you really think the Joker in the movie has any chance against Batman? Do you really think he's calm and intelligent enough to run massive criminal organizations? Do you really think he's charismatic enough to convert Harley into falling in love with him? Because judging from the end of the movie, he doesn't miraculously become some suave, intelligent, cunning, conniving villain. If this is "the origin story" it fails to produce The Joker he becomes. 

I could understand if he showcased evil and sadistic tendencies from the get go. Only amplified by rejection from those around him, and a society that doesn't care. Where he is a failed comedian because his jokes are offensive, hurtful, and crude. Where his advances towards his love interest are creepy and selfish and insincere. Where people around him think he's weird not because he zones out and laughs when he's uncomfortable, but because he's sadistic, and creepy. All culminating to the point where Batman's emergence as a hero just sets him off as becoming the absolute antitheis of that hero. - Something like Brightburn in terms of that kids gradual growth into a villain. He was always creepy, prone to violence, and and sadistic. The rejection of those around him only pushed what was already there further, until he was pushed to full villain. Like a Cletus Kasady before Carnage. Kasady was still evil, Carnage just pushed him over that edge. 

But we don't get that. We get a sad, laughing man, who makes unfunny jokes, and is unable to find his place in the world, that ultimately has no climax worthy of him becoming one of the greatest and most violent villains of all time. 

And I agree, this conversation isn't going to go anywhere, so this is the last time I'm going to explain this all. You like the movie, great. Enjoy it. 

I read your wall of doom post, and it’s amazing how wrong you still are. Most of your assumptions about who we get as Joker are from him before he finds himself and his own truth. It’s not something he just became just because things bad things happen to him. It’s something he always was. He grows into most of the things you want him to be.  Watching the transition happen was amazing. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    If you say so. 🙄🙄
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    edited January 2020
    I like it when he flags MC. Good work. 
    What do I know, I‘ve only watched the movie twice and watched the special features where they break it all down. He definitely grows that swagger though. 
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,715 jayfacer
    Raimi rumored to direct Doctor Strange 2 now lmfao.
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,790 jayfacer
    The news. 
  • EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,715 jayfacer
    I’m part of a Marvel shitposting group on FB (I know that’s already the worst way to start naming my source lmao.) but when they talk serious they legitimately always seem to get Marvel leaks first and a lot of it turns out being true. So idk their source but it’s been heavily discussed all day. I’ll try and look deeper where the news came from.