Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The MCU/DC Discussion and Spoiler Thread

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    When The Hobbit came out, and they made all those changes to story and characters people were like "wtf is this? This isnt the Hobbit!"

But change a comic character in a similarly drastic way, and all of a sudden its "just a different take that works better for cinema". Why have different standards? 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Also

But as long as you keep the core values, motivations, and characteristics of a character between adaptions that is all that matters.

Exactly my point when it comes to these arguments. Those characteristics and motivations arent present. They're new soley for the movie. 
    Except they're not. Hard for you to say because you haven't seen the movie, but what characteristics is Pheonix Joker missing that comic joker has? 
    Yeah, i stopped taking MCs opinion seriously when he said started touting the merits of Tim Burton Batman. Wanting comic book accuracy instead of a good film adaption is just silly.

Any good writer understands that between mediums such as book, film, or cartoon that some things do not translate well. But as long as you keep the core values, motivations, and characteristics of a character between adaptions that is all that matters.

Heath Ledger as Joker was a straight up 100 times better performance than Nicholson as far as acting goes. So its a little less comic accurate, who cares? Good acting and good movies > comic accuracy
    Bat In The Sun portrays their characters perfectly. Id love to see them take the reigns of an official full length movie. Their Joker is perfect. 
    Aaaand thank you for proving my point. That is the cringiest shit I've ever watched. If that Joker was a full length movie it would bomb at Fantastic 4 levels. That was terrible. 
    edited October 2019
    Also

But as long as you keep the core values, motivations, and characteristics of a character between adaptions that is all that matters.

Exactly my point when it comes to these arguments. Those characteristics and motivations arent present. They're new soley for the movie. 
    Except they're not. Hard for you to say because you haven't seen the movie, but what characteristics is Pheonix Joker missing that comic joker has? 
    Comic Joker isnt some depressed, society influenced radical intent on overthrowing the rich and starting a revolution in Gotham for the broken man. He's just a crazy clown. He kills because he likes it. He just wants to mess with Batman. There's nothing more to him than that. He's just a violent psychopath who likes messing with a guy in a bat costume and killing people. And he's goofy about killing too. He's not some anarchistic messiah with a troubled past. 
    When The Hobbit came out, and they made all those changes to story and characters people were like "wtf is this? This isnt the Hobbit!"

But change a comic character in a similarly drastic way, and all of a sudden its "just a different take that works better for cinema". Why have different standards? 
    Because there is only one Hobbit story. There are hundreds of Joker stories written by different writers and directors that all have different characterizations. 
    Yeah, i stopped taking MCs opinion seriously when he said started touting the merits of Tim Burton Batman. Wanting comic book accuracy instead of a good film adaption is just silly.

Any good writer understands that between mediums such as book, film, or cartoon that some things do not translate well. But as long as you keep the core values, motivations, and characteristics of a character between adaptions that is all that matters.

Heath Ledger as Joker was a straight up 100 times better performance than Nicholson as far as acting goes. So its a little less comic accurate, who cares? Good acting and good movies > comic accuracy
    Bat In The Sun portrays their characters perfectly. Id love to see them take the reigns of an official full length movie. Their Joker is perfect. 
    Aaaand thank you for proving my point. That is the cringiest shit I've ever watched. If that Joker was a full length movie it would bomb at Fantastic 4 levels. That was terrible. 
    They're comic book stories. They're supposed to be fun and comic booky. They're portrayals are comic books come to life. Not pretentious reinterpretations that disrespect their source material. 
    Bat In The Sun's Joker is live action TAS Joker. And its perfect. 
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    You should just stop watching comic book movies. It's clear none of them within your lifetime are going to meet your ridiculous standards 😂
    imageimage
    edited October 2019
    You should just stop watching comic book movies. It's clear none of them within your lifetime are going to meet your ridiculous standards 😂
    Marvel has done really well aside from MCU Spider-Man and the second Guardians. DC did well with Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Shazam. I even liked Justic League. Dredd was incredible. Logan was FANTASTIC. Dead Pool was really good. The old Spider-Man movies are great. Burton's Batman's were good. I liked Venom. The original TMNT is a masterpiece of cinema. Spider-Verse could very well be the best comic book movie of all time. 

So yea, Id say my standards have been met pretty well for the most part. 
    Post edited by MetalCoresades on

They're comic book stories. They're supposed to be fun and comic booky. They're portrayals are comic books come to life. Not pretentious reinterpretations that disrespect their source material. 
    Why are you acting like all comic amount to is brainless beat em ups? You want that shit go watch the cartoons or go watch Power Rangers. The best stories from characters like Batman, Xmen, Spider-Man, etc all focus on great dialogue and character building. 
    You're a hypocrite anyway, Infinity War and Endgame were two of the least comic accurate movies marvel has ever done. Why not shit on those?

Why are you acting like all comic amount to is brainless beat em ups? You want that shit go watch the cartoons or go watch Power Rangers. The best stories from characters like Batman, Xmen, Spider-Man, etc all focus on great dialogue and character building. 
    Sure but why do movie makers feel the need to fundamentally change the characters or their worlds to achieve that? 
    Logan is a perfect example of a movie that did some thing different with the story, gave us a deep and adult movie, and still maintained his characterization and lore from the comics. 

Why is so wrong to have wanted that from Joker too?
    Lore is fake and gay
    Oh
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    Has MC even watched Joker yet or is he still leaking?

NOCAP said:
    Has MC even watched Joker yet or is he still leaking?
    We've moved passed it
    Sounds like Carpenter gets it.