Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The MCU/DC Discussion and Spoiler Thread

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    edited October 2019
    I just want comic accurate movies. It's that simple. We haven't even gotten good comic accurate depictions of these characters yet, and we're already obsessing over Elseworlds. Please. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    Comics and movies are different things. It's like being mad at tits for not being vag. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    They're movie adaptations of comic books. They should be like comic books. 
    edited October 2019
    If they were adaptations you would be happy. They are movies inspired by comics, not adaptations.
    Brightburn is a movie inspired by comics. These are adaptations.
    So this was a Joker movie then?
    In name only. Thats my point. This is now the definitive Joker movie we get. And instead of a comic accurate adaptation depicting the character, we got an elseworlds art film with some character who acts completely different, with completely different motivations, with his name. 

I get Im in the minority here, but Id like to see a comic accurate Joker in the DCU. Imo DC's best movies have been the ones where the characters were portrayed similar to the source material (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazan). Suicide Squad's Joker was awful. And now THE Joker is him in name only. We havent had an accurate Joker in live action since Nicholson. 

Again, it would be one thing if DC had been releasing movies for a while, had an established univerise with "real" characters fleshed out. But they dont. And now they're just jumping to elseworlds, and now this is THE Joker movie we're left with. 
    But whatever... I'll never get the Batman/Joker movies I wanna see, or the Spider-Man movies I wanna see. So I'll just try and move on and keep my complaints to a minimum going forward I guess. 
    You'll still be bitching 50 pages down the line.
    Nah
    You've been at it for 79 pages straight but now youre done?

OK son, I believe you.

But actually, we will see you back here for New Mutants (now 20% scarier!)  Black Widow etc etc.
    I havent been bitching for 79 pages though. Most of my discussion was positive aside from Joker and Spider-Man. 
    Also  New Mutants aint happening anymore
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited October 2019

We havent had an accurate Joker in live action since Nicholson. 
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Stopped reading here when my Down’s syndrome detector went off.
    Trying to find the source for this poster. I wants one.

Episode said:

We havent had an accurate Joker in live action since Nicholson. 
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Stopped reading here when my Down’s syndrome detector went off.
    I mean... we havent though 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Yeah, i stopped taking MCs opinion seriously when he said started touting the merits of Tim Burton Batman. Wanting comic book accuracy instead of a good film adaption is just silly.

Any good writer understands that between mediums such as book, film, or cartoon that some things do not translate well. But as long as you keep the core values, motivations, and characteristics of a character between adaptions that is all that matters.

Heath Ledger as Joker was a straight up 100 times better performance than Nicholson as far as acting goes. So its a little less comic accurate, who cares? Good acting and good movies > comic accuracy
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Whats funny is Tim Burton and his writers did not give a fuck about Batman as a character and viewed the movie as a kids movie used to sell toys. 
    Yeah, i stopped taking MCs opinion seriously when he said started touting the merits of Tim Burton Batman. Wanting comic book accuracy instead of a good film adaption is just silly.

Any good writer understands that between mediums such as book, film, or cartoon that some things do not translate well. But as long as you keep the core values, motivations, and characteristics of a character between adaptions that is all that matters.

Heath Ledger as Joker was a straight up 100 times better performance than Nicholson as far as acting goes. So its a little less comic accurate, who cares? Good acting and good movies > comic accuracy
    Disagree. When you change the character for a film, it no longer is that character. If you cant adapt it accurately, maybe you shouldnt adapt it. Or just accept "this is a comic book, its ok to be a little silly"

Fan productions understand this. Bat In The Sun portrays their characters perfectly. Id love to see them take the reigns of an official full length movie. Their Joker is perfect. 
    Also

But as long as you keep the core values, motivations, and characteristics of a character between adaptions that is all that matters.

Exactly my point when it comes to these arguments. Those characteristics and motivations arent present. They're new soley for the movie.