Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The MCU/DC Discussion and Spoiler Thread

Comments

• EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Need to see it still. Will prolly go on Wednesday night when I’m off. Luckily have avoided spoilers but have heard nothing but good things.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    My bandmates all really want me to see it. I know Im going to fucking despise it, but I agreed if we can make the time for it. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I probably won’t end up seeing it until it hits dvd. I’m really looking forward to it though. I see MC said it had bad reviews in a somewhat recent post I just want to know where you’re seeing such things because I haven’t seen a bad review. 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    edited October 2019
    mrAPE said:
    I probably won’t end up seeing it until it hits dvd. I’m really looking forward to it though. I see MC said it had bad reviews in a somewhat recent post I just want to know where you’re seeing such things because I haven’t seen a bad review. 
    Comic book sites mainly. Newsarama in particular said it was really bad, with a 5/10. Comic Book Resources, Forbes, and Cnet all gave it mixed reviews saying the acting was good, and the tone is unique for tbe genre, but that its pretentious, doesnt do a good job making the commentary it set out to make, and the story was dumb. It also has a 58/100 on Metacritic and a 70% on Rotten Tomatos. 

https://www.newsarama.com/47198-advance-review-joker.html

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/joker

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Now MC wants to quote rotten tomatoes but when talking about Spidey its irrelevant =)
    You can quote RT all you want with Spider-Man too. Sure, that has better reviews. Doesn't change my opinion on it. 

Both are soulless, non-comic accurate cash grab movies that fail to understand their respective characters. I simply stated that Joker isn't getting raving reviews across the board, Ape asked where, and I shared it. The opinions of most critics, and the aggregate of RT doesn't mean anything to me. 

However the opinions of comic sites saying that Joker is a pretentious, non-comic book mess, I do care about. 
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    All those bad reviews are from pussys that think this movie is glorifying violence and all other stupid shit. If you look at RT and Metacritic the reviews are low but the audience reviews are in the 90+%. There has been a smear campaign against this movie from sjws and all other reviewers and it's just dumb. 
    K. Doesnt change any of my crique of it thus far, nor Newsarama's review. 

Cool that y'all like it. Its not gonna be my type of movie. 
    So what exactly is your problem with it without having seen it yet :-?
    edited October 2019
    So what exactly is your problem with it without having seen it yet :-?
    The director and members of the cast before releasing the movie basically said they dont like comic books, comic book movies, or comic book fans, and that this movie wasnt for comic book fans. They purposely went out of their way to disregard source material, and not even try to make the character accurate, and disrespected the fans of the comics in the process. 

I like comic movies that treat their source material and the comic medium with respect. Which the creative team behind Joker have done the opposite. As I continually say, these characters don't exist in a vacuum. And simply treating all fictional characters as blank-slate archetypes devalues fictional characterization and makes it pointless to create an actual character. What's the point if anyone could depict a character in anyway? 

Additionally, I dont enjoy most pretentious art films. Its my biggest issue with horror movies like The Witch. And I dont particularly like when movies force "dark, gritty, and realistic" tones on material that isnt, just for the sake of it being "dark". I dont think it works. And contrary to what the general populous thinks about Batman, the comics really arent all that gritty. Grim at times, sure. But there's a lot of levity and comic bookiness in there too that film makers seem to ignore. And as a result it shifts how the general populous thinks about these characters, where they're influenced by the Nolanverse and then we get sad and bleak Superman following suit. 
    Post edited by MetalCoresades on
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    You can quote RT all you want with Spider-Man too. Sure, that has better reviews. Doesn't change my opinion on it. 

Both are soulless, non-comic accurate cash grab movies that fail to understand their respective characters. I simply stated that Joker isn't getting raving reviews across the board, Ape asked where, and I shared it. The opinions of most critics, and the aggregate of RT doesn't mean anything to me. 

However the opinions of comic sites saying that Joker is a pretentious, non-comic book mess, I do care about. 
     Rotten Tomatoes Is Rotten motherfucker 
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    i know MC won’t like Joker. He’s gonna complain cause it isn’t like his other comic book films. It’s more of a slow burn drama that focuses on mental health and violence. Even without the Joker characters and setting it would have been great. 

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    MC you're dead wrong about Batman not being dark and gritty. Sure, not all of his stories are but all of his best stories are. The Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Hush, Death In The Family even the newer stuff like Death Of The Family and the Batman Who Laughs is pretty dark. 
    edited October 2019
    NOCAP said:
    i know MC won’t like Joker. He’s gonna complain cause it isn’t like his other comic book films. It’s more of a slow burn drama that focuses on mental health and violence. Even without the Joker characters and setting it would have been great. 
    I would be much more interested if it WASNT Joker tbh. Because this isnt a Joker movie. They just slapped the name on it to sell tickets. I love Falling Down. But that was its own thing, not an adaptation of pre established lore. 
    NOCAP said:
    Because this isnt a Joker movie. 
    how do you know :-?
    MC you're dead wrong about Batman not being dark and gritty. Sure, not all of his stories are but all of his best stories are. The Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Hush, Death In The Family even the newer stuff like Death Of The Family and the Batman Who Laughs is pretty dark. 
    Sure, but they still have moments of levity. You can have grit, and still be comic booky. Batman is a kid at heart. He has a fuckin pet cow. His son was raised by ninjas. He's a dude who dresses as a goddamn bat. I said Batman can get grim. But its not ALL dark ALL the time. I think Burton's movies and the animated series, or even the Justice League cartoon and Arkham games are still definitive when it comes to stuff like that. All people seem to focus on is the dark with Batman, but not the other side of the coin. 

Actually the Arkham series is the perfect example. It was dark and gritty, but still felt like you were playing a comic book. It wasnt weighed down in realism, and maintained the personalities of every individual character. 
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Jesus fucking Christ characters get remolded all the time. The Christian Bale Batman is nothing like the Adam West Batman from the original series but is one of the 2 NOT Batman? Naw they’re both fucking Batman. Same shit applies here. Shit don’t have to stay stagnant.
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    MC just wants a same shit sandwich and he's gonna bitch the whole time anyone does anything different.
    Pass the god damn butter.