Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

New Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS*

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Never seen Clone Wars. Guess I always wrote it off as non-essential and non-canon since it’s animated (Although I love animation.)

Should I start it? 🤔
    Plus there are several storylines that HEAVILY tie into The Mandalorian as well as provide some background on the planet of Mandalore. 
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,793 jayfacer
    edited February 2020
    Im hesitant to start it too. Heard some reallllly dumb shit it did to the canon, and theres some major stuff I disagree with from the getgo. But Ive heard its also decent. 
     Curious. What dumb shit have you heard it adds to the Canon? A handful of us have actually seen the show, we can clear this up and possibly kick start you to watch an amazing piece of Star Wars media.
    Never seen Clone Wars. Guess I always wrote it off as non-essential and non-canon since it’s animated (Although I love animation.)

Should I start it? 🤔
     Is anything really essential per say? Lol seriously though it's a treat. Anything focusing on The Clones, Cad Bane's story, Darth Maul's story, Ventress' Story, there are so many good arcs. You won't regret it and if you so I'll let you kick me in the nuts and we'll upload it to YouTube as "Underground Rapper puts rabid fan in his place." 
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,528 moneytalker
    It also make the prequels better. It fills in a lot of gaps, gives big pieces of lore, and fleshes out a lot of the stories that were hinted at or alluded to in the movies. Some of it is corny, but it’s SW, what are ya gonna do? It is the way. The high notes make the few stinkers episode well worth it. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    Jobe is right yeah there is filler for sure but if I'm putting together a list of my favorite 15 star wars moments, Clone Wars has at least 5 of them
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,707 spicy boy
    edited February 2020
    Dime2 said:
    Im hesitant to start it too. Heard some reallllly dumb shit it did to the canon, and theres some major stuff I disagree with from the getgo. But Ive heard its also decent. 
     Curious. What dumb shit have you heard it adds to the Canon? A handful of us have actually seen the show, we can clear this up and possibly kick start you to watch an amazing piece of Star Wars media.
    1. I dont like they brought Maul back. Cheapens episode 1. Ruins the whole "rule of 2" thing. Also creates holes with why he's never in 2 and 3, and gave Disney wayyyy too much freedom to start shilling him in every other StarWars thing. He was almost in RoS :| He should not have been in Solo :| He should have died in 1.

2. I dont like that Grevious is literally just a saturday morning cartoon villian. Such a wasted opportunity to make him badass like in the 2003 version. 

3. Retconning the Fetts to not be Mandalorians - fucking dumb 

And most aggregiously 4. The whole biochip implanted in the Clones to initiate Order 66. Just cheapens that whole thing, and is such a shitty cop out for what should have been one of the biggest betrayals in fiction. Plus I really like the narration in like the original Battlefront 2, where the Clones grew to respect the Jedi, but ultimately knew what they had to do. Again, it just cheapens an emotional plot point. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?

Should I start it? 🤔
    Plus there are several storylines that HEAVILY tie into The Mandalorian as well as provide some background on the planet of Mandalore. 
    Also has seeming lore contradictions with Mandalorian too though. 
    Episode 1 cheapened itself lol. The prequels suffered from each movie having its own villain instead of one coherent threat threat through all 3 movies. TCW fixes this issue rather than making Maul, Grievious, and Dooku such pointless disposable bad guys with such limited screen time. They become less of a Saturday morning cartoon villain that way imo. They become a much deeper character than “that’s Maul, he looks cool and he’s evil” Turns out Maul is much more than a one note character. 
    Episode 1 cheapened itself lol. The prequels suffered from each movie having its own villain instead of one coherent threat threat through all 3 movies. TCW fixes this issue rather than making Maul, Grievious, and Dooku such pointless disposable bad guys with such limited screen time. They become less of a Saturday morning cartoon villain that way imo. They become a much deeper character than “that’s Maul, he looks cool and he’s evil” Turns out Maul is much more than a one note character. 
    I mean they all had EU backstories before TCW too. I have a pretty cool Maul comic that takes place before Episode 1. I just don't think they pulled off the expansion of some specific characters very well from what I've seen. Maul and Grevious in point. 

Should I start it? 🤔
    How so? 

Should I start it? 🤔
    How so? 
    Mainly the whole "can't take the helmets off" thing in Mandalorian - in TCW Mandos took their helmets off all the time with no issues. 

And the weird blurred lines with what is or isn't Mandalorian. The Mandalorian heavily implies it's culture over race/birthplace. Yet TCW denies the Fetts being Mandalorian despite them adhering to their culture, armor, and bounty hunting profession. 
    Boba’s armor wasn’t made of Baskar. Cad Bane dented his fucking head. 
    The helmet thing isn't necessarily a contradiction. Mando takes place 30 years or whatever after TCW. There are various offshoots of Mandolarian culture, its not a stretch to say that the remaining Mandos developed a rule like that. 
    edited February 2020
    Boba’s armor wasn’t made of Baskar. Cad Bane dented his fucking head. 
    They were still Mandalorians in Legends lore though, and descendents of Cassus Fett. In Legends lore they had custom armor because beskar was rare and expensive. But that didnt detract from them being Mando back then. That's a dumb Disney Canon retcon. 

They dressed like Mandalorians, were descendents of a famous Mandalorian, wore the symbol of the Mandalorian, were bounty hunters like Mandalorians, and Jango was born on Concord Dawn - a Mandalorian controlled system. But nah, he's not Mandalorian. :| 
    Most of the Mando stuff has yet to finish playing out. Helmet shit we just don’t know about. Come on season 2!

We do know we have New Mandalorians, old Mandalorians, and several different clans at odds with each other. But Jango didn’t have the same sense of clan or honor that the rest of the Mandalorians have. He wasn’t worried about clean kills or sharing credit. He didn’t give back to his people. Boba was a clone and was never raised with the clans. In Legends he didn’t even speak their language. 

Straight from George. 

Also not all Mandolarians are bounty hunters. 
    Dime2 said:
    1. I dont like they brought Maul back. Cheapens episode 1. Ruins the whole "rule of 2" thing. Also creates holes with why he's never in 2 and 3, and gave Disney wayyyy too much freedom to start shilling him in every other StarWars thing. He was almost in RoS :| He should not have been in Solo :| He should have died in 1.

2. I dont like that Grevious is literally just a saturday morning cartoon villian. Such a wasted opportunity to make him badass like in the 2003 version. 

3. Retconning the Fetts to not be Mandalorians - fucking dumb 

And most aggregiously 4. The whole biochip implanted in the Clones to initiate Order 66. Just cheapens that whole thing, and is such a shitty cop out for what should have been one of the biggest betrayals in fiction. Plus I really like the narration in like the original Battlefront 2, where the Clones grew to respect the Jedi, but ultimately knew what they had to do. Again, it just cheapens an emotional plot point. 

1.) Maul's arc is literally like the best one in the series though. Don't get me wrong, I love Episode I Maul but he has no character. Not only do they flesh him out here, but they expand upon it in great ways and don't ruin it. Trust me I was skeptical at first but it definitely wasn't cheap. Also, he's no longer a Sith apprentice. He goes nomad and renounces that so the 2 rule still stands. 

2.) He's really not though. The episode where Kit Fisto and his apprentice raid his lair. He's a certified bad ass and also murks The apprentice. He's still threatening and remains so later on. Plus more Grevious is always a plus for me, he rules. 

3.) I don't remember them being retconned but I gotta say I just don't care about that point tbh. The Fett's had a good role in the show and we learned more about them. 

You are very much entitled to your opinion my friend, but these sound like gripes that I feel aren't that big a deal if you stack them against the entirety of the series. Still am willing to bet you'd enjoy alot of it. Maybe not all of it but alot of it. Check out the episode Rookies if you haven't. S1 E5. It's fucking golden and what made me want to watch. 
    Yeah, even if you count those as negatives it still doesnt outweigh the awesomeness the show brings

1. Turning Anakin into a likeable character 
    2. More prequel Obi Wan who has an INCREDIBLE voice actor
    3. More prequel Yoda
    4. Plo Koon being a badass
    5. Kitt Fisto being a badass
    6. Ahsoka going from an annoying shit to an awesome character 
    7. Rex, Cody, Fives, 99, and the other clones given amazing arcs and actually giving shit about individual clones and their story
    8. Death Watch, Mandalore, and the Darksaber
    9. Cad Bane as one of the best villains ever
    10. Seeing more from the Emporer and Count Dooku
    11. Darth Maul, Dathomir and the Night Sisters