Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

New Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,528 moneytalker
    That’s just his pimp lean and the Colt 45. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,790 jayfacer
    Dime2 said:
    Worst video yet. You got so much shit wrong lol. 
     The thing is, I know you're playing me...but Ima bite lmao 

I think we need to make at least 3 concessions to old or pre-existing issues before we start. We can discuss any of them if needed, otherwise we can agree and move past them, but they do play a huge role in this discussion. 

1) This trilogy suffered from lack of overall direction for various reasons. 

2) The Last Jedi was a terrible sequel. 

3) Carrie dying when she did impacted the final project in ways they couldn’t control. 

1:08 - “insert shameless plug here”
              shameless plug not inserted this was his actual job

Palpy is back. “The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural”
    Yeah we fucking know it. It’s a world of clones and force ghosts. What else do you need? Do you even Plageus? Star Wars is the story of Sheev. Those corpse fingers were so creepy. I can see having an issue with where the new secret fleet and the crews needed to staff them came from though, but logistics like that have always been an issue. It’s a big ass galaxy though. That’s the kind of stuff they usually exposing in books and comics and stuff. 

Your patch job counter didn’t have the stuff that should be in there, and had stuff that IMO didn’t belong. Patching Kylo’s helmet back up, the Holdo maneuver being one in a million, Force Ghost Luke catching the lightsaber saying that’s no way to treat them should have been on there, not the Knights of Ren or a Jar or Snokes. 

Calling Rey using her force healing powers later in the movie after using it earlier,  well yeah that’s how movies and stories work.

Leia wasn’t watching the fight on a monitor, she was using the force. They originally planned for her to be the focus of this movie and did the best the could with what they had. 

7:26 “group finds a dagger”
    7:26 “group finds a dagger” jump cut happy editor repeated the same clip (didn’t seem like it was done for comedic effect)

3PO being forbidden to translate Sith by the Galatic Senate. Remind me, who was the senate again? (Those red eyes looked cool af for the trailer)

16:48 “excluding Ahsoka” explain yo self 

Ben Solo’s death - characters randomly drop dead all the time. Padme, Luke, Leah, Yoda, even old man Ben faded before being struck down, but this is the one that boggled your mind? 

While it seemed excessive this movie, Star Wars has always been a big mcgoober chase. Find some plans. Find a droid. Find old man Ben. Find a ship. Find the Princess. Find Yoda. Go find your friends. Find a boy, find an Army, Protect the Princess. It’s the shit space adventures are made of. 

Billy D looked great and I’m glad they brought back as many people as they did to wrap up the story. 

-I'm already lost. The insert shameless plug was talking about the video I did for a top 5 Star Wars Prequels moments. It was my shameless plug. 

-Palpatine being back still wasn't explained worth dick. I know there's alot of shit that happens thats super natural but we have reasoning for a lot of it. I'm not satisfied with "Well, yeah he's back." 

-Don't know what you're going for here. None of what you mentioned is a patch job. Those are that movies flaws. I specifically stated that this was stuff this movie was patching over or retconning from Last Jedi. 

-So I can't ding the force heal thing for being completely in your face predictable? Okay. 

- I acknowledged that I'm sure they did the best the could with what they had as far as Leia. Still sucked. 

-You win that one. Looped line. Didn't catch it. Video was already up. Said fuck it. 

-I know why 3PO was forbidden to translate. Still was just shitty trailer fodder. 

-Ashoka sucks. 

-Yeah. Ren's death was random as shit. Ben chose to drop his weapon. Yoda had a speech on his death bed. Kylo has an awkward kiss, smiles like a dork and dies. 

-Didn't really mind Lando being back. But you're not gonna tell me he looked completely aware of his surroundings the entire movie. 
    Also, thanks for watching. I post for this kind of constructive criticism and discussion. This is like the 2nd movie I've ever reviewed (Toy Story 4 being the first). Can definitely use some of your feedback to refine my style. 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Fuck you Dime Ahsoka is awesome 
    I never liked her lol
    Idk but to me the shot of the shameless plug should have showed a thumbnail or screenshot of the video you were plugging. You even pointed down like the editor was going to add something in. After all the other effects added in, that part seemed incomplete to me. 

We will have to disagree on Palpatine’s return. We’ve had Jedi ghosts since the 70’s. Now there is a Sith ghost. Not a huge leap for me. I’ve also read the Darth Plageus book though. Excellent read btw. 

I don’t really count plot points as patches/retcon because it’s an active part of the story.  The disagreement here probably comes down to how you define a patch. To me, patches are just inconsequential shit like dialogue lines and thing that other wise have little impact. RJ didn’t make use the Knights of Ren (concession 1 and 2) and JJ Abrams picking it up was just finishing a story line. It impacts the story.  Kylo’s helmet was a patch job. JJ wanted it and RJ broke it. (See concession 2) JJ put a literal patch on it and brought it back. It didn’t impact the story at all. Mentioning “the Holdo maneuver” as one in a million was them patching it as an offensive tactic basically admitting it was dumb. No real impact other than they aren’t gonna do it again. That’s a patch. Luke saying that’s now way to treat a lightsaber is a patch.

Leia stuff wasn’t the best but what do you want them to do (for this movie)? She dead. Either they do their best to honor her or they completely cut her out. (Concession 3) They did what they could. I’m just glad my last memory of her character isn’t that stupid fucking space walk. 

And Ashoka is indeed the shit. She’s the best female character in Star Wars and there is no competition even close. She’s in the lead by at least 4 death watch heads. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    The more you think about ROS the more it sucks. The pacing is so fast it doesnt give you a chance to really think about and digest what was going on. But when you think about it for 5 seconds, its a total mess. 

It may even be worse than TLJ in that sense. Its less offensive to legacy characters, and its more fun to watch. But fuck does it completely disregard any sense of lore and cohesive story telling. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Dime2 said:
    I never liked her lol
    Idk man she's a big reason i love clone wars. She was annoying at first but she might have some of the best character development of any character in a tv show ever. She turns into a complete badass  
    I'll give you that later on she wasn't too bad, now that I think about it. Initially, she annoyed the shit out of me 
    Idk but to me the shot of the shameless plug should have showed a thumbnail or screenshot of the video you were plugging. You even pointed down like the editor was going to add something in. After all the other effects added in, that part seemed incomplete to me. 

We will have to disagree on Palpatine’s return. We’ve had Jedi ghosts since the 70’s. Now there is a Sith ghost. Not a huge leap for me. I’ve also read the Darth Plageus book though. Excellent read btw. 

I don’t really count plot points as patches/retcon because it’s an active part of the story.  The disagreement here probably comes down to how you define a patch. To me, patches are just inconsequential shit like dialogue lines and thing that other wise have little impact. RJ didn’t make use the Knights of Ren (concession 1 and 2) and JJ Abrams picking it up was just finishing a story line. It impacts the story.  Kylo’s helmet was a patch job. JJ wanted it and RJ broke it. (See concession 2) JJ put a literal patch on it and brought it back. It didn’t impact the story at all. Mentioning “the Holdo maneuver” as one in a million was them patching it as an offensive tactic basically admitting it was dumb. No real impact other than they aren’t gonna do it again. That’s a patch. Luke saying that’s now way to treat a lightsaber is a patch.

Leia stuff wasn’t the best but what do you want them to do (for this movie)? She dead. Either they do their best to honor her or they completely cut her out. (Concession 3) They did what they could. I’m just glad my last memory of her character isn’t that stupid fucking space walk. 

And Ashoka is indeed the shit. She’s the best female character in Star Wars and there is no competition even close. She’s in the lead by at least 4 death watch heads. 

-Understandable. In my defense, I thought he was gonna put it there too but it pops up under that little ? Thing with a link. 

-We will have to. 

-No, I don't see those as patch jobs, I think our criteria/definitions are off. My idea of a patch job is something set up in the previous film that they're undoing. I guess the stuff they retconned from last Jedi. You seem to be talking more about flaws. 

-As you saw, I feel like they just spat on her character. It was the only thing that made me legit angry. Can't help it. Although we're in agreement that I'll take this over space coma. 

-eh. I'll have to rewatch but yeah admittedly she does get loads better later. 
    The more you think about ROS the more it sucks. The pacing is so fast it doesnt give you a chance to really think about and digest what was going on. But when you think about it for 5 seconds, its a total mess. 

It may even be worse than TLJ in that sense. Its less offensive to legacy characters, and its more fun to watch. But fuck does it completely disregard any sense of lore and cohesive story telling. 

This holds true for any SW movie. Pick any one. Even your favorite. They fall apart as soon as you put any thought into them. Pick one and we can roast it. Tearing apart all the dumb shit over the years is part of the charm. People just love some dumb shit with great passion and a blind eye while they hate other dumb shit with equal passion and a microscope. 

So they just dump space garbage everywhere before going to light speed? Pretty fucking dumb in a galaxy with hyperspace travel. How the fuck is some dumb ass space snake big enough to swallow the Falcon gonna stay alive in a big ass space rock? It just sits there waiting for shit to fly by? It got that big just waiting for food to stroll on by? GTFO with that nonsense. 

This holds true for any SW movie. Pick any one. Even your favorite. They fall apart as soon as you put any thought into them. Pick one and we can roast it. Tearing apart all the dumb shit over the years is part of the charm. People just love some dumb shit with great passion and a blind eye while they hate other dumb shit with equal passion and a microscope. 

So they just dump space garbage everywhere before going to light speed? Pretty fucking dumb in a galaxy with hyperspace travel. How the fuck is some dumb ass space snake big enough to swallow the Falcon gonna stay alive in a big ass space rock? It just sits there waiting for shit to fly by? It got that big just waiting for food to stroll on by? GTFO with that nonsense. 
    Dude not at all. You're delusional if you think the Disney trilogy put as much thought and care into their writing as the originals did. Even if you think minor specifics are dumb or dont make sense, they fit the universe and all the lore matched up. 

Disney cant even keep their own cannon straight, and constantly break established lore with batshit writing. I cant say the same for the original 6. Lucas at least cared. 
    That said Mandolorian is awesome. Very happy with it. Just finished ep 5 
    Your blind eye is showing. 

Lucas made most of it up as he went along and his wife saved the movie with her edits. Both of these facts are well documented. 

Glad you are enjoying it. Filoni is the future of SW. He’s a guy that cares. 
    edited January 2020
    Your blind eye is showing. 

Lucas made most of it up as he went along and his wife saved the movie with her edits. Both of these facts are well documented. 
    Ok, and? The lore and story are still cohesive and make sense. The Disney trilogy is all over the place and has more plot holes than swiss cheese, and even more dumb shit throughout it. The first 6 movies could not have even happened it wouldnt have made a difference, Disney trilogy made them all null and void 

Glad you are enjoying it. Filoni is the future of SW. He’s a guy that cares. 
    Eh we'll see. But at least this mini series was good. 
    Watched through the orig trig theatrical versions today. Masterpieces. 
    >Obi Wan
    > “Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.”
    >Also Obi wan