Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

New Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS*

Comments

• ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    What you were hoping for =/= expectations 

I fully expected a nostalgia fuller film. I think it had to be in a way, and that 8/9 will be darker and more original. 
    inb4lists
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,528 moneytalker
    The Star Wars fandom is alive and fun again. It's not just talking about Empire for the 3,000th time. Right now is an exclusive window of time in the fandom that will only exist until the movie comes out and answers some of the new topics of discussion. You could still haven fun with it.

Inb4 Snoke was cloned from Luke's hand by Empy Palp.

I'm gonna go home, show the trailer to the kids, have a few lightsaber duels, and get hype as fuck for this next chapter of the story.
    Pass the god damn butter.
    I was hoping for an original story with cool new characters and good return of old characters. We got none of that. 

That's actually exactly what it was.

Original story - First storm trooper we have ever seen defect, or even seen things from their perspective. Galaxy still in trouble.

New Characters - Poe, Finn, Kylo, Rey, Snoke, Phasma, 

Old - Han, Chewie, Leia, 3P0, R2, Akbar, Luke 

Plus the MF and a nod to Vader. What else did you expect?
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Alot of interesting things going for it. I think Luke will refuse to train her, Rey will stick around and try to prove she's worthy and he will still refuse. O think that's where her convo with Kylo comes in and she legit tried to join with him but Snoke tasks her with killing Luke and that's where she falters. I'm hype af and I didn't care for Rogue One and thought TFA was good, but not great. Even with all that, my hype is still through the roof. This isn't just any old movie franchise MC, this is fucking Star Wars. Can not wait to see how this all plays out in a couple months. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    Jobe said:
    I was hoping for an original story with cool new characters and good return of old characters. We got none of that. 

That's actually exactly what it was.

Original story - First storm trooper we have ever seen defect, or even seen things from their perspective. Galaxy still in trouble.

New Characters - Poe, Finn, Kylo, Rey, Snoke, Phasma, 

Old - Han, Chewie, Leia, 3P0, R2, Akbar, Luke 

Plus the MF and a nod to Vader. What else did you expect?
    Story - building another death star because we're out of ideas. Also no new technology or weapons because fuck it lets just ride off the original trilogy until the end

New characters - Kylo Ren was a fucking joke, and Rey is op out the gate, no training or development.

Old characters - no reunion, only cameo for Luke

It was stupid reused bullshit just riding off the original trilogy. 

Say what you want about the prequels, but at least they brought something new and exciting to the table.

Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    >probably the most discussed franchise in all of history 
    >100's of books, comics, and stories already developed 
    >every word has been scrutinized
    >nobody knows how it plays out or ends 

I love this fact so much.
    edited October 2017
    Dime said:
    This isn't just any old movie franchise MC, this is fucking Star Wars.  
    Thats EXACTLY my problem. 
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    No, your problem is you say the new movies aren't as good as the old ones and they should do something new but when you bitch about it you're points point to you just wanting them to remake the old ones. Look, I agree we didn't NEED new Star Wars movies, but this has reignited discussion for this franchise and my nerd boner couldn't be stronger. 
    How do my points point to them remaking the old ones when my #1 point about how shitty they are is that Force Awakens is basically a remake of A New Hope and that they just ride off the nostalgia dick of the original trilogy?

I DONT want them to be the same as the originals. Thats my problem. That and the lazy writing.
    Even the SW games are ass without Lucas Arts. Fuck Disney for ruining a great franchise. 
    Dark Forces told the same story Rogue One did in the first level and did so in a way that didnt shit on the continuity of the original movies. 
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    Name a movie MC didn't hate that wasn't some shitty B movie.

edited October 2017
    Pennywise said:
    Name a movie MC didn't hate that wasn't some shitty B movie.
    I have a lot. The first 6 StarWars, Wonder Woman, pretty much every Marvel movie so far, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Blade Runner, Alien and Aliens, every Tarantino movie Ive seen, new It, etc etc. 
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    Baffels me that mc likes the middle 3 star wars but hates these ones. 

doesnt make sense. Star wars never had innovative story telling. It was never meant to have this deep intellectual story. They have all been made to look cool and feel bad ass. Thats about as far as i take my judgement as far as watching a star wars movie. 
    Im not saying it needs to be deep or intellectual. But the new ones are not good. Your nostalgia goggles are blinding all of you. Look at them as they fit in with the Saga. They are not good. And I dont understand why everyone thinks theyre so good. Theyre awful. 
    Disney SW > I,II,III

Hell no. 

I get it. The prequels werent perfect. They had shitty CGI, Jar Jar, and some shitty actors. But at their core they were original, and new. They didnt fall back on the success of the original trilogy to propel them forward. They had new villains, new technology, and stories which separated them from 4, 5, and 6. The new characters were all memorable - Darth Maul, Grevious, Padme, Windu, Count Dooku, the various battle droids, Jango Fett, motherfucking Qui-Gon, etc. And had moments that people still talk about like the podracing scene, the battle between Obi, Qui-Gon, and Maul, the battle on Geonosys, the fight between Obi and Jango on Kamino, the order 66 scene, the end fight in Episode 3, etc. And it ended in a way which wrapped up the prequels as their own entity and set the stage for the originals to occur. 

The new ones are not creative or inventive. They're lazy. Oh the Empire is the villain again? I guess episode 6 didnt fucking matter. Oh another Deathstar? Guess we're out of ideas. We're still in X-Wings and TIE Fighters? Fuck originality and technological advancement. And the characters are fucking awful. Kylo Ren is a punk bitch. And Rey is overpowered out of the gate. Have we forgotten these characters used to struggle in the first 6?

Luke had to train with Obi-Wan before using a lightsaber or the force - and for the most of A New Hope he doesnt even use the saber. In episode 5 he cuts his training early to leave and save his friends in Bespin, and he ends up losing to Vader. He doesnt confront him again until 6 after training with Yoda AGAIN, and HE STILL CANT BEAT PALPATINE WITHOUT THE HELP OF VADER. 

ohhh but Rey learns shes force sensitive and in a matter of days she can overpower the force strength of Kylo Ren - someone related to the Skywalkers and who TRAINED UNDER FUCKING LUKE. AND is shown to be immensely powerful with the force when he HELD A FUCKING BLASTER BOLT IN MID AIR FOR A WHOLE CONVERSATION. But naaah fuck that, girl power, right? And then she goes toe-to-toe with him in a saber battle, which ends with Finn - a non-force user, and who has never used a saber, also going toe-to-toe with a student of fucking Luke Skywalker. But nahh fuck that, it looks cool. 

Not to mention Rogue One was a fucking embarrassment. Literally the only cool scene was the Vader scene. The rest was fucking lame. And outside of that one Vader scene none of the scenes in Rogue One or Force Awakens were as memorable as ANYTHING in the prequels or original trilogy. I didnt care about a single other character, and honestly cant even remember a single name from that movie. And, once again, it was riding off the success of A New Hope with another Deathstar story. Yaaayyy. More lack of originality, how fun! Not to mention the fucking inconsistencies with the original trilogy. If they're fighting AT-ATs in Rogue One, why are they so surprised and unprepared when they show up on Hoth in Empire Strikes Back? If they're destroying planets via Deathstar in Rogue One, why are they so surprised the Empire has that tech when they destroy Aldeeran? Then they decided not to use the music which was dumb too. 

But please ignore this and keep telling me how great they are and how Disney cant fuck anything up. 
    TLDR people love the Disney ones better than the prequels. Get over it

Cuz you all have nostalgia goggle on and enjoy being spoonfed shit
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    I dont have nostalgia goggles lol. I dont think it was some all time great movie. I still enjoyed it a lot. 

And its much better than the middle 3.