Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

New Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS*

Comments

• EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,720 jayfacer
    edited August 2021
    Rewatching all the movies cause I actually never saw Episode 9 yet. Had meant to re-watch the previous 8 before doing so and jus never got around to it, but Mandalorian got me on a Star Wars kick so it’s the perfect time.

Finished Episode 3 last night. Prolly the first time I seen it since around the time it came out. Watching it all these years later, anybody feel like the Anakin/Vader heel turn was extremely rushed? I feel like they were kinda skating by on the fact that everybody knew Anakin becomes Vader anyways, so they didn’t need to explain too much. I know they put the catalyst in motion wit his Mom dying in Episode 2, but in 3 it’s jus kinda like, Palpatine tells him he can teach him the powers to save Padmé (Without any proof other than merely saying it.) and then a mere 30 minutes later, Anakin is full blown heel and mercilessly slaughtering children. There was literally no real kind of build up towards it. It was pretty disappointing on a rewatch.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Yeah I definitely appreciate Anakin's turn a lot more after going through Clone Wars. That series helped his character as much as anybody's.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,709 spicy boy
    Dime2 said:
    Oh yeah. Not to mention how much money they're raking in on grogu merch alone lol my dad hates anything and everything Star Wars except for Mando lmao and when I asked him why this of all things he said three reasons: 

1.) "It reminds me of the spaghetti westerns I watched growing up with my Dad."

2.) "No retarded fish guy." (I can only assume he's talking about Jar Jar because me and my brothers watched Phantom Menace a fuck ton as kids and hes seen it by proxy at least 3 times).

3.) "Baby Yoda is pretty cute." 
    Speaking of retarded fish guy

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1276776
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,528 moneytalker
    I would assume Ackbar to be “fish guy” more than JarJar. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    These remasters on the original trilogy are extremely appreciated. Some of the added CGI definitely feels a lil out of place but it doesn’t look all that bad and these don’t look nearly as old as they are. I was expecting this to be a hard watch lol.
    Also, the fact that some of the lines where Luke hits on Leia were cut out is weak as fuck. I can understand why to an extent, but at the time it was completely unknown to the audience that they were siblings, jus like the characters themselves didn’t know they were siblings til later on, hence why Luke was hitting on her. That’s literally the whole joke/point lmao.
    Also, the fact that some of the lines where Luke hits on Leia were cut out is weak as fuck. I can understand why to an extent, but at the time it was completely unknown to the audience that they were siblings, jus like the characters themselves didn’t know they were siblings til later on, hence why Luke was hitting on her. That’s literally the whole joke/point lmao.
    What was cut, and from which version? 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Yeah I definitely appreciate Anakin's turn a lot more after going through Clone Wars. That series helped his character as much as anybody's.
    Yup. When I think about Anakin Skywalker, my brain doesnt go to Hayden Christiansen. It goes to the Clone Wars cartoon version. It turned Anakin into one of my favorite star wars characters 
    I watched the Disney+ 4K version. Which to my understanding is the 2011 remaster? Idk. But I watched a video on YouTube and it showed all the differences between the original and remasters visually, and it was mentioned in the comments that some lines of dialogue regarding Luke’s attraction to Leia were cut out. And in the Disney+ version, Luke made his initial “She’s beautiful.” comment when he first saw Leia, and then throughout the movie, Luke and Han were still lowkey competitive over Leia, but then that was it, there were no other lines referring to it. And I definitely do remember it being more overt.
    I watched the Disney+ 4K version. Which to my understanding is the 2011 remaster? Idk. But I watched a video on YouTube and it showed all the differences between the original and remasters visually, and it was mentioned in the comments that some lines of dialogue regarding Luke’s attraction to Leia were cut out. And in the Disney+ version, Luke made his initial “She’s beautiful.” comment when he first saw Leia, and then throughout the movie, Luke and Han were still lowkey competitive over Leia, but then that was it, there were no other lines referring to it. And I definitely do remember it being more overt.
    Hmm... I dont quite remember any other lines. I'll have to investigate. I havent seen the remasters though since the like 04? special editions. 

Im on that Harmy's Despecialized Edition life now lol
    Anyone read The Star Wars? Its a comic adaptation of the original rough draft script. With Anikkin Starkiller, and where Han Solo is a green alien and stuff.

Just finished it. Pretty interesting, very different.
    edited August 2021
    On Episode 5 and it’s interesting to see how they basically retconned Yoda. In the prequel trilogy, he’s a stern, serious, wise old man, even tho he’s younger in those movies, yet in the original trilogy, he’s more animal like. Down to the fact that he’s crazy for food. More hyper, more childish, more of a comic relief type character. It’s wild because it’s been so long since I seen these that I forgot there’s even a difference but it’s literally night and day between the 2 trilogies, to the point that it’s damn near like a whole different character entirely.
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,528 moneytalker
    He was playing a bit of a role messing with Luke’s expectations at that point. He wasn’t really like that lol. 

But yeah, still goofy af. But they didn’t really have much of a roadmap in place at the time. It was always more of a long ass list of ideals than an actual plan with George. Hence all the revisions over the years. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    I also chalked it up to being in isolation on Dagobah for so long made him become more feral, but idk if that was intentional and if shit was that far mapped out lol.
    edited August 2021
    He was teaching Luke about patience, by being annoying as fuck lmao 

But I also love crazy Ms. Piggy Yoda
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Yeah it 100% was a front to test Luke's patience.

This scene still gives me goosebumps when I watch it. Peak star wars

https://youtu.be/fxCR2bFWHxM
    Yeah it 100% was a front to test Luke's patience.

This scene still gives me goosebumps when I watch it. Peak star wars

https://youtu.be/fxCR2bFWHxM
    beautiful
    I commented in the books thread that I learned how to make my own ebooks from PDFs. I found a site with basically every Star Wars book as a PDF, so I downloaded some that aren't available on the Kindle store. Got the whole Jedi Apprentice, Young Jedi Knights, and Junior Jedi Knights series of kid novels, and some other random Star Wars young novels. 
  • Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,794 jayfacer
    Can you get me Harry Potter and The Fucking Wizard it was British exclusive 
    Jus finished all 9 movies. Goddamn.

So upon rewatching, I actually like the sequel trilogy way more than I did before. As I said, I never saw 9 til tonight, but 7 and 8 were rewatches. I remember when I initially watched 7 and 8, I didn’t do any kind of rewatch of the old movies and hadn’t seen them in prolly 10 years, so due to that, there was a lot of shit that I had forgotten, on top of the fact that there was an emotional disconnect even towards the original characters, let alone the new ones. The new ones I originally didn’t give a single fuck about. To the point that even tho I saw 8, I couldn’t really tell you what happened afterwards lol.

So watching all 9 in a row and having everything refreshed definitely made it all hit different and gave me a newfound appreciation. To the point that Han’s death hit me harder the second time even tho I knew it was coming and the surprise was gone. I legitimately didn’t give a shit the first time around.

Time for the hot take part and the part where MC prolly goes into cardiac arrest.

Not only did I like the sequel trilogy a lot more this time, but it is prolly my favorite trilogy of the 3, and 9 is prolly my #1 individual favorite out of all of them. Nostalgia does not sway my opinion whatsoever so I watched everything as it is right now in the moment in 2021. 

First and foremost, the SFX and graphics. Yea they’re not everything, but in action and sci-fi movies, they’re pretty fucking important. It’s why all these remakes keep happening, cause we’re finally technologically at a point where these classic worlds and their characters and battles within them can be done their true justice and look as epic and believable as they’re supposed to. So every single battle in the sequel trilogy from lightsaber duels to firefights to ship battles finally looked how everybody has wanted it to look since the 70s. Watching all the action scenes in the first 6 was rough, especially the original trilogy. It started looking better by Episode III, but still, everything looked so blatantly fake that it was disjointing and kinda took you out of the scale of everything. Like on the original trilogy, Vader never once actually looks as powerful as he’s sposed to be, because they literally couldn’t pull it off on screen. His appearance in the Jedi Fallen Order game and his Rogue One scene finally saw him painted in God mode.

So the sequel trilogy is finally what people always pictured in their head, visually. Kylo Ren, Palpatine, and Rey are the most powerful Jedi and Siths that we’ve ever seen depicted on screen and that level of power didn’t have to be imagined like it did wit Vader. They were finally able to flex and pull it off on screen in it’s full epic scale and all of it looked stupid fucking cold. The last 45 minutes of 9 is the most epic that Star Wars has ever been and it had that full scale Endgame type feel. It finally looked like full scale, apocalyptic, galactic fucking WAR. And then this mf Palpatine literally goes straight Thor God Of Thunder and starts taking out an entire fleet wit one hand. That moment is singlehandedly the most powerful that anyone has ever been depicted in Star Wars. That shit was like when Goku went Ultra Instinct in Dragon Ball Super.

That last hour had me so fucking hype and amazed in a way that Star Wars hasn’t made me feel since I originally watched the movies as a lil kid.

And speaking of Palpatine, he was also finally pulled off the best he’s ever been. In the other movies, he’s an annoying old fuck that’s irritating to look at wit a retarded ass voice. In 9, he’s actually a dark, menacing, threatening presence like he was always sposed to be. That is the most stone cold full blown evil that a Star Wars villain has ever felt. And he’s literally undead. That was the darkest Star Wars has ever felt.

I think the original 6 all definitely have more iconic moments, but I feel like nostalgia clouds judgment when it comes to certain things. Like for instance, I already stated how I felt that the Anakin heel turn felt really rushed, when that whole situation was the entire driving force behind the original trilogy. That especially should have been handled and presented a lot better. So the original 6 definitely fumbled certain shit.

Of course the sequel trilogy has a LOT of fan service and callbacks to the old movies, especially the original 3, even down to the parallel of Ren having a change of heart and doing good at the last minute like his grandfather, but the sequel trilogy did a good job of building the new characters, who I ended up liking a lot, while also keeping some of the originals around in a genuine way that didn’t feel cheesy. And the humor, emotion, and heartfelt feel good moments were all still there and pulled off very well, wit the added bonus of being able to be presented in a LOT shinier bow this time and feeling bigger and more believable as a result. This undeniably felt like Star Wars always has tho.

Safe to say, between The Mandalorian and this, I 110% prefer new Star Wars, and I’m hype for all the upcoming movies and shows. They’re definitely doing a great job of restoring the feeling as far as I’m concerned. 

I’m glad I did a rewatch and finally saw 9, that was great. I gotta finally get around to watching Clone Wars and the other animated shows. Only Star Wars shit I haven’t seen yet at this point.