Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The McFuck Approach

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Yes you need to move out and grow up but you also don’t have to sacrifice yourself in that process. It’s clear you care about this girl and don’t want to lose her. It’s okay if you have to sacrifice same things but don’t sell out your whole enjoyment just to make things work. Regardless of what happens with her I feel like moving out is a good move. Yes I know things are expensive but I’d much rather be reliant on myself than others 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Its just hard. I already cant afford to do most things. I cant afford vacations. I cant afford music festivals. I've done the math, and based on my current earnings and spending, I need to make another $500 a month to make it work. So I need to cut $500 of my spending down. 

So no concerts, cons, games, books, going out to eat/drink, etc. Its the only way I can make this work. 
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    Can I ask where your money is going currently? I’m not being rude just trying to understand what your current living expenses are 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    He lives in Chicago. That’s where his money is going. 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    FLAT said:
    He lives at home bruh 
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    MC I think this is so tough for you because it's combining two separate issues: moving out for the first time, and moving in with your girlfriend. I know Chicago is probably expensive af to live in

Does your girlfriend have her own place? Does she have roommates? 
    edited March 2023
    mrAPE said:
    Can I ask where your money is going currently? I’m not being rude just trying to understand what your current living expenses are 
    I currently spend about $400 alone on gas, tolls, and car insurance. Another $60 for my phone. $36 on my gym. I do pay my parents $210 a month in rent, which I know isnt a lot, but I currently do pay that. I put $460 in savings a month. And the rest on food, my band, concerts, cons, gaming, books and comics, etc.

Even pulling that $210 a month out from my parents, I still need to make an additional $500 a month to pay rent at my girlfriend's apartment. That means stopping my savings, which Im not going to do, or cutting my entertainment/hobbies. Which is why I need a second job so I can afford those things. 

MC I think this is so tough for you because it's combining two separate issues: moving out for the first time, and moving in with your girlfriend. I know Chicago is probably expensive af to live in

Does your girlfriend have her own place? Does she have roommates? 
    Its just her at her appartment. We'd both be working two jobs to make it work. 
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    FLAT said:
    He lives at home bruh 
    You gotta pay to drive on the highways everywhere there. He may live at home but doesn’t mean all his cash gets saved. 
    edited March 2023
    So I may be mathing wrong but $1166 in expenses, how much do you make a month? 
    Post edited by mrAPE on
    Plus the $1000 it will be for rent + renters insurance. 

I make about $2300 a month. As is now, I'll have ~$300 to spend on hobbies, and other things like doctor visits or car maintainence or whatever. Which is "doable" but not ideal or comfortable 
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    1)It’s a bad idea with the budget that tight. The financial crunch we are isn’t going away any time soon.  Living with somebody with no extra room for simple pleasures isn’t gonna make your relationship better. Being broke is stressful af.  It’s a punchline, but "What, in this economy?" should be a personal motto for a lot of people right now. 

2) Moving into her place is also a bad idea. The space is already hers. It will always be hers. Your shit is just gonna infringe on the space where her shit goes. It also causes extra tension and stress. Have a fight and your out. Break up and your homeless. Unless she’s getting the deal of a lifetime on the place push for a new place for both of you. Then it’s yours and hers together, not just you in her place. Should a breakup happen, you guys can get out of it together or find other arrangements on better terms. 

3) Isn’t there also an issue with the cats and allergies?

4) it’s good to grow up and do big boi shit but it’s really important that she is happy with you for who you are, not who you will be if you sell all of your toys and quit all of your hobbies to conform to what she wants. You’ll just end up personally miserable. You can get another job, but then it’s too much time apart. You make more money and lifestyle creep kicks in and your right back in a marginally better boat with slightly better food. 
    Pass the god damn butter.
    At $2300 a month I would would be considering a new job not a second job 
    edited March 2023
    Im assuming that’s $2300 a month plus the benefit of studio time and experience. The real question is picking what lane he wants to be in. 

MC pick one:

1) Being a musician
    2) Making money

They may not be mutually exclusive but one has to take priority. We can go from there. 
    It got real quiet in here 😂
    My music stuff is definitely my personal priority. 

I applied for a bunch of jobs yesterday. Going to have to work a lot, but I'll figure it out. 
  • ThatGuyArloThatGuyArlo Posts: 1,430 jayfacer
    So what exactly are you ultimately wanting out of your band though?
    As far as it will go. I also hope to someday have a job recording bands. 
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    Wait you save 500 a month and bitch about not having money to do stuff? 

Bruh, that's awesome you are saving. But wtf are you doing with that money. 

If you were putting that 500 into an actual savings, like a s&p 500 index and let the compound interest do its work, you could retire with over a million dollars in 30 years. 

Wtf are you doing with that 500? Putting it in the bank? Putting it in a box? Start making real investments with it. It sitting in a regular saving account, you might as well stick it in a safe lol. 

Second, why are you saving that much and complaining  about not having money to do stuff? Most people are living paycheck to paycheck in 2023. You should be happier with where you are at. 
    Wait you save 500 a month and bitch about not having money to do stuff? 

Bruh, that's awesome you are saving. But wtf are you doing with that money. 

If you were putting that 500 into an actual savings, like a s&p 500 index and let the compound interest do its work, you could retire with over a million dollars in 30 years. 

Wtf are you doing with that 500? Putting it in the bank? Putting it in a box? Start making real investments with it. It sitting in a regular saving account, you might as well stick it in a safe lol. 

Second, why are you saving that much and complaining  about not having money to do stuff? Most people are living paycheck to paycheck in 2023. You should be happier with where you are at. 
    I put it in my bank account. Ive been able to so since Ive been living at home. I will not be able to do so once I move out. Thus the need for a second job. 

I understand it could always be worse, I never said it couldnt. But I also dont want to go down to no savings either. Emergencies happen. And I dont wanna get fucked if I suddenly have a medical emergency, or car break down, or suddenly lose my job. 
    Might have just scored an ideal side gig running backline with a production company a couple times a month. They rent from my primary job, and its all event based so I can work as much or as little as I want/can, and they often use the gear from my primary job so I already know how to use all of it. Litty