Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What are you watching right now?

Comments

• Options
    MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,552 spicy boy
    Im watching good TV like Sentai and anime
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • Options
    FLATFLAT Posts: 60,592 spicy boy
    Dime2 said:
    Didn’t you watch it years after breaking bad was done =))
    I’ve seen breaking bad like 9 times so I’m sure I was watching at the same time. 
  • Options
    SATANSATAN Posts: 25,813 spicy boy
    I finally got around to both Sandman and Peacemaker recently. Great stuff. Very different takes on DC lore, but both premium achievements. I can’t wait for new seasons of both
  • Options
    Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,466 spicy boy
    FLAT said:
    Dime2 said:
    Didn’t you watch it years after breaking bad was done =))
    I’ve seen breaking bad like 9 times so I’m sure I was watching at the same time. 
    Definitely not
  • Options
    EpisodeMnHEpisodeMnH Posts: 4,606 jayfacer
    We basically have 2 TV shows and this seems more active out of the 2 so fuck it lol.

I finished Mad Men and I feel so odd about it. I definitely liked it, a lot actually, but it’s simultaneously one of those things where it does a LOT of things I normally would hate and would make me lose interest, but there’s something about the way it was done here that was still mostly satisfying. I’m not 100% sure why I liked it lmao.

@Xeno When I asked what season shit starts popping off, you said it’s not a violent show like BB, but by popping off I didn’t specifically mean violence, but moreso, obviously nearly every kind of story has some kind of climax and ultimate moment that it’s building towards, whether that’s a violent climax, dramatic, etc. So that was what my original question was about. When that “ultimate moment” that it’s all building towards happens.

And it….kinda never does. Narratively and plot wise, everything and nothing are always simultaneously happening lmao. It doesn’t ultimately lead to anything or go anywhere, which became especially clear as I got to around the halfway point of season 6. I’m sitting there thinking “Okay we’re halfway thru the next to last season, and we’re still circling the same wagon, going thru the motions of their every day lives. There’s no way anything crazy gets jam packed in at the last second now.”

And I ended up right. The format for the show is a lot different than the usual. The overall narrative is kinda placed on the back burner in favor of character development. It’s a 100% character driven show, where the viewing is moreso meant as a vicarious experience of their normal, real life, day to day lives. And while that seems boring, the acting and cast are so phenomenal that it still somehow manages to pull you in. It definitely has a very particular and niche type of appeal to it. 

Bizarre comparison I know, but it reminded me of BioShock in the sense of how absolutely immaculately it pulled off it’s entire aesthetic, era, and setting. Obviously a fictional underwater dystopia and the real world 50s-70s are 2 completely different things, but both scenarios are pulled off wit such conviction in both their respective franchises, that it literally transports you there as you view it, as intended.

And got damn, that final 5 or so minutes during the group therapy session, dude breaking down and Don consoling him and also breaking down as a result, shit got me teary eyed as fuck. And shit involving real humans never really gets me emotional, but Goddamn that scene and the entire monologue before he broke down was jus immaculate writing and way too real.

Overall a great watch.

Next up I’m finally gonna join the party and watch thru Game Of Thrones.
  • Options
    Started Kamen Rider. Its ok so far. Not as good as Zyuranger was. Its pretty dated honestly
  • Options
    XenoXeno Posts: 21,010 master of ceremonies
    edited June 2023
    Yeah I knew what you meant, and that's what I meant by like it really never does. The closest things to a "climax" to me are the two moments Don completely loses his grasp and goes off the deep end: the weekend where they all get speed shot up their ass, and then when he has a breakdown during a pitch meeting.

I agree that the show does a crazy good job of treating the time period and dynamic of all the characters as a driving force for the show. I don't think any other show really did that before, and then Mad Men did it so well that either nobody's tried since or we just haven't heard about it.

The real question is, what did you make of the coke ad?
  • Options
    XenoXeno Posts: 21,010 master of ceremonies
    I think one thing that was completely lost on me the first time I watched the show, is that Don was genuinely raped when he lost his virginity. And it was by the only person who had ever shown him care and affection. It explains a LOT of his behavior and blind searching especially in an era where therapy was a big no-no except for housewives
  • Options
    Dime2Dime2 Posts: 2,690 jayfacer
    Starting what is my legit 12th or 13th watch through of Malcolm In The Middle. Knocked out the first two seasons (41 episodes) in three days lol GOAT sitcom 
  • Options
    Xeno said:
    Yeah I knew what you meant, and that's what I meant by like it really never does. The closest things to a "climax" to me are the two moments Don completely loses his grasp and goes off the deep end: the weekend where they all get speed shot up their ass, and then when he has a breakdown during a pitch meeting.

I agree that the show does a crazy good job of treating the time period and dynamic of all the characters as a driving force for the show. I don't think any other show really did that before, and then Mad Men did it so well that either nobody's tried since or we just haven't heard about it.

The real question is, what did you make of the coke ad?
    I was wondering what the fuck that was sposed to be that they took lmao. Like at points it jus seemed like Adderall the way everybody was hyper focused and over the top productive, but then it took the turn of Don damn near tripping out as if it was a psychedelic. Unless that was done to show that he was slowly tweaking from the sleep deprivation the longer he stayed up. It wasn’t really shown too well how much time had actually passed during that whole sequence.

Lane committing that in the office was prolly the biggest holy shit moment of the entire show lmao. Can’t say it was too unpredictable at that point considering everything that led up to it, since he did some highly illegal shit and then got fired for it, lost everything in an instant. But still the way it was pulled off was crazy cause it’s an otherwise very mildly paced show.

My initial immediate take was that even tho he was at a resort to try and recover and get his mind right, he still couldn’t get his mind off work and was instead daydreaming about landing the Coke ad when he was supposed to be meditating. Or in that same vein, that the thought of landing that (And success at his career in general.) is the only thing that truly brought him happiness and peace, which is why that came to mind during meditation.

It also could have been an actual flash forward, showing that he returned to working and ended up landing Coca Cola. Given how long it’s been since it stopped airing, did they ever reveal it? Or it was left ambiguous?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Addy > coke 

still after 7 years 
  • Options
    nothing really compares to clean cocaine but addy is pretty dank 
  • Options
    Jim’s coke > 
  • Options
    Only 9 episodes in, but Dairanger is not nearly as good as Zyuranger so far. The pacing is all over the place. Hope it picks up
  • Options
    God damn tonight’s episode went fucking apeshit. At this moment in time, with only 3 episodes left to curtain, Mayans >SOA
  • Options
    is suck really greater than suck?
  • Options
    >hasn’t seen either show 
  • Options
    I watched the first one. It's fine to enjoy. 

But calling it good?