Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What do you guys think is the Definitive metal classic?

Comments

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod

Bludgeoned To Death

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy

the lizard kills me everytime =))
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy

Y'all are welcome for that one.

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy

rex's new avi =))

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy

I remember when Alex pointed it out and I hadn't seen it I, i went back stoned af to look at it and rolled irl

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    edited May 2014
    HOODS said:
    sludge and doom and groove and stoner all may have came out in the 90's but now it seems there are so many bands following those genre's, so many good bands, it's bigger then it ever was back then. i mean besides the old school new orleans bands i cant think of many sludge bands back then, now its everywhere.

I think what was being created and diversified in the 90's is being consolidated now. A lot of the shit now is like Blackened Death where bands are just rubbing genres together to see what juice is left. Plus, bands in the 90's didn't really have much incentive in terms of fanfare because the hesher crowd was mostly preoccupied with grunge or gangsta rap. The Rap-Rock bands didn't really take off until 2000. If you were playing metal in the 90's, it was for love. Most of the bands mentioned in this thread from the era are much more popular and respected now than in their day.

also: Godflesh, Meshuggah, EyeHateGod, Napalm Death, Brutal Truth

Are the Melvins metal enough? Cuz 'Houdini', 'Stoner Witch' and 'Stag' all get the big POWOW

If 'Jane Doe' and Tool get recognition, you gotta include 'Aenima' and 'Calculating Infinity'

• DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Just from the general vibe, I've gathered that alot of people on this forum dislike Megadeth. Is that because of like Cryptic and Up or do you guys like the 80's and early 90's Megadeth? Peace Sells, and Rust in Peace were amazing, and So Far, So Good, So What is one of personal favorite albums ever tbh

Megadeth's first four are good. Peace Sells is a classic, Rust in Peace too. But everything after that is whatever, and Dave Mustaine has become a sad, deranged old man who should stop. So fuck him 

I was gigantic fan of everything up to 'Rust' when I was a kid, but for one thing they've been terrible for much, much longer now than they were servicable and for another I ended up meeting Dave Mustaine and he was a total cockmunch. Lost interest after a while and now I have a harder ear on their old shit because of how far they've fallen now. I can't even listen to almost any of 'So Far, So Good' now cuz it's so retarded. I still hold 'Rust' in pretty high regard. To be fair, it's one of the best written metal albums ever. 'Peace Sells' and 'Killing is My Business' get by, but they aren't in much rotation for me anymore. Their late 90's shit was just plain embarrassing

My problem with Dave is he's trying to be all Ted Nugent about shit now a days. Trying to bring politics into everything but not through music like they used to, now it seems like a "Hey, someone pay attention to me" way. He also really needs to let the fucking Metallica nonsense go. I read an interview last year before Gigantour and he was still going on about it. Like dude you're in a fucking multi-platinum selling metal band that has sold like 50,000,000 records worldwide. What the hell are you complaining about it? Plus Super Collider was pretty goddamn terrible. 

I honestly think Peace Sells is their best by leaps and bounds. It's fucking nuts how hard they shredded at that time and it just seems more raw than Rust.

I liked Youthanasia I really did. Victory is still one of my favorite songs by them. It just sucks that Youthanasia was the starting point to a shit slide. Countdown was pretty good but it took me a while to get past the "Let's copy Metallica and go for a winner" vibe I got from that CD. 

"Then I started seeing 'Bad Omens' in my head, 'Good Mourning/Black Friday' will I 'Wake up Dead?' If 'I Ain't Superstitious' then this won't mean a thing, some crazy shit has happened since 'The Conjuring.' " That part just is so awesome sounding everytime I hear it. 

I think 'Peace Sells' is more peaks and valleys, with a couple of higher peaks than 'Rust'. 'Rust', to me, is a very catchy record for one with such musicianship. It didn't let the solos and shit get in the way of the song and vice versa. I think a lot of artists can't regulate those, and that's why a lot of similar bands fail. (That, or they just don't *have* songs, but I digress) I think 'Good Mourning/Black Friday', 'Peace Sells' and 'Wake Up Dead' are all classics, but the rest of it is meh to me. 'Rust' is consistently good front to back.

I stopped listening, for the most part, when 'Countdown' came out. Shit was limp and cheesy, just like everything I've heard from them since. 

It didn't help that Mustaine was such a hater about Dimebag while Pantera was out there slaying

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    edited May 2014

If they do a Youthanasia tour, I'll be all over it. I'm a fan of most of their stuff but they've run out of steam both live and on album.

And I'm in the Peace Sells > Rust in Peace camp, but they're both excellent.

JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage

Its only because Pantera blew them off the fucking stage \m/ 

Only issue I have with seeing them live is they copy and paste the same fucking setlist every show with a new song or two off the new album. Like, come on guys a little originality. You have 15 albums to choose from. I would absolutely love it if I got to see Victory, Back in the Day, The Scorpion, or Train of Consequences live in 2014.