Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Melodeath Essentials

Comments

• streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip

streets said:

Holy shit, Erik made a metal related thread? :-O

you forget he used to be a somewhat respectable member of this board...or so the legend says
    Not true. He actually used to be worse.
    :-O
  • Da_MuffinzDa_Muffinz Posts: 2,972 balls deep
    edited July 2012

just because they are credited as being one of the 3 to invent the scene, doesnt make them apart of that scene. Really, you guys should stop getting your music facts from Wikipedia and start listening to the bands and form your own opinions.

Uh dude that's how I formulated my opinion on them. After listening to all of Slaughter of the Soul, I concluded that they were melodic death metal because there were MANY verses within their songs that are extremely melodic. Now are they just as melodic as dark tranquility or in flames? No, I'd say they're more hardcore than them, but still retain their melodies enough to be considered melodeath.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy

just because they are credited as being one of the 3 to invent the scene, doesnt make them apart of that scene. Really, you guys should stop getting your music facts from Wikipedia and start listening to the bands and form your own opinions.

No one went to wikipedia faggot. Slaughter Of The Soul is melodeath. If you can't hear that you must be deaf or retarded.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers

Uh dude that's how I formulated my opinion on them. After listening to all of Slaughter of the Soul, I concluded that they were melodic death metal because there were MANY verses within their songs that are extremely melodic. Now are they just as melodic as dark tranquility or in flames? No, I'd say they're more hardcore than them, but still retain their melodies enough to be considered melodeath.
    And my point was that ATG is closer to Death sounding (which even nola didnt disagree with) then In Flames Dark Tranquility sounding. Nola's point was then that he didnt consider the band Death- Death Metal but really it's on Genre. That's a fine position to have, but I disagree on the classification of Death.

I think you are being lose with your words. No one would claim that ATG is "extremely melodic". At best one can say they have some melodic elements. However I claim that these slight melodic elements are really just being mistaken for rhythmic structures. Melodeath are typically more characteristic of melodic runs, where ATG has none of that.

You're free to have your own opinion on the music, but IMHO ATG doesnt fit in the melodeath category. And I am of the opinion that people that think they do should spend a little more time understanding what the melodeath genre is.

No one went to wikipedia faggot. Slaughter Of The Soul is melodeath. If you can't hear that you must be deaf or retarded.
    No joke. Over the last month or two, I've really come to realize what a retard you are. Honestly I don't care to interact or have any real discussion with you. You're free to make comments like this if you like, but dont expect me to respond with anything meaningful. In general I try and just ignore everything you say, cause I really dont give a fuck about you or anything you have to say. Your opinion on any matter (even one we happen to agree upon) is completely worthless to me.
    Cool :)) Because I've never liked you. You have to be about the most annoying person I've ever come across on the internet ever. I find it funny that you cry so much about Erik being cancer to this forum or whatever when its actually you :)) You pick fights with people as much as Erik.

And how is my comment any worse than yours? Just because Muffinz and I have a different opinion doesn't mean we dont listen to ATG or we got our info from wikipedia. But instead of having a simple discussion you had,to throw in little off hand insults like a child.
    Honestly ATG is one of my all time favorite bands and I don't care what you label them as, because in the end they're an inspiration to the melodeath scene and veterans of Gothenburg. Which makes them fucking brutal! \m/

I mean come on. Really? You don't consider this melodic?
    http://youtu.be/98pqTq4WFEo

you're kidding me right? Your argument for them being melodeath is the one 2 minute instrumental that is literally nothing like anything else on that album? Nola did you delete "Into the Dead Sky" from your play list, or do you always just skip past it when it comes on?

I appreciate you making the effort to back up your opinion though. I'm not trying to come off as an ass to you.

Cool :)) Because I've never liked you. You have to be about the most annoying person I've ever come across on the internet ever. I find it funny that you cry so much about Erik being cancer to this forum or whatever when its actually you :)) You pick fights with people as much as Erik.

And how is my comment any worse than yours? Just because Muffinz and I have a different opinion doesn't mean we dont listen to ATG or we got our info from wikipedia. But instead of having a simple discussion you had,to throw in little off hand insults like a child.

I can't say the same about you, because for the first year and a half I didnt even realize you were a member of this site. One of the most completely unrememberable people on this site.

Why are you trying to have an argument with me over erik? Is erik your bf or something? Drop it. I dont give 2 fucks about erik either, and the collective site would rather be over that bullshit drama.

You comment was different then mine because I didnt call you a faggot or any other names. You are not like Muffinz. Muffinz is actually trying to have a discussion about music on a metal site. You're just trying to stir up some sort of dramaz and I aint taking the bait cause I dont care. go start some shit with someone that does.

There is also this one too.
    http://youtu.be/JQpmFPi-Xwk

waiting for one with lyrics that actually "extremely melodic" from Slaughter of the Soul.
    Alright then here. I'm just trying to show you they do melodic instrumentals in which they infuse melodies into their own songs. This one has many melodies throughout.
    http://youtu.be/UlZkihQk0z0
    Oh some lame old man doesn't remember me. I'm hurt :)) You are easily the most annoying member of this site, and I've been here since the beginning.

And your original statement implied that we dont know what we are talking about or aren't real fans...yeah thats pretty childish. I was actually going to try to have a legitimate discussion but I guess you are above that. I dont see how I was trying to start shit. You started with the lame off hand comments. So what, because I said something directly aimed towards you I'm an asshole now? Try not being a passive douchebag once in a while.

Can you just go back to Ozzfest or where ever you came from? I'm sure lots of us would appreciate it :)
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    To attempt to add to the discussion:

While Slaughter Of The Soul definitely set the stage for a bunch of melodeath bands to rip off their sound, I don't think they should totally be grouped in with that. It's kind of like calling Meshuggah "djent". They unfortunately influenced that bullshit but they're still their own band.

Carcass' Heartwork is another major influence on melodic death but I still wouldn't group it in with that oversaturated genre for similar reasons. I think it can go in reverse saying "oh, if you like this bullshit melodic band you should check out Carcass and At The Gates" but that's only because of their influence.

Venom isn't black metal but they pretty much started that shit
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Brian said:

While Slaughter Of The Soul definitely set the stage for a bunch of melodeath bands to rip off their sound, I don't think they should totally be grouped in with that. It's kind of like calling Meshuggah "djent". They unfortunately influenced that bullshit but they're still their own band.

Carcass' Heartwork is another major influence on melodic death but I still wouldn't group it in with that oversaturated genre for similar reasons. I think it can go in reverse saying "oh, if you like this bullshit melodic band you should check out Carcass and At The Gates" but that's only because of their influence.

Bitchmade two faced schoolgirl.
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    :(
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    Brian said:

=D> This was very well worded and basically my point for ATG. Comparing the album to Carcass Heartwork is spot on.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    Brian said:

=D>
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Why are we arguing over At The Gates worst album?

It's only essential value is using it as a coaster for my beverages when someone is using my St. Anger album.

To steal a line from Nola.. "Moving on"