Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

the discussion on what's in the tours thread thread

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies

pop punk

Do you just label any punk band you don't like as pop punk?

inb4lists
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy

there's no such thing as punk anymore

the only thing left is these shitty pop punk bands

Name 10 non-hardcore punk bands

Punk died with gg and Joey ramone

Rip 

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,707 spicy boy

they are pop punk though FF. :|

And it doesnt mean I dont like them. I can get into some Offspring or Sum 41 when im in the right mood. I just dont listen on the reg. 

Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,707 spicy boy

only actual punk bands I know are either hardcore, crust, or underground to the point of nonexistence.

Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    SATAN said:

Name 10 non-hardcore punk bands

Yellow Stitches

Pleasant Living

The Casualties

OS101 

Cock Sparrer

The Business

Sham 69

Misfits

Combat Crisis

Leftover Crack

Cockney Rejects

The Explosion

Street Dogs

Common Enemy

Tribe Thirteen

Forced Reality

Murphy's Law

Reagan Youth

Slapshot

Fucked Up

The Unseen

TSOL

Urban Waste

Anti- Nowhere League

The Menzingers

Kill Your Idols

Snapcase

Cop Problem

Kraut

Subhumans

... just off the top of my head.

The misfits haven't been relevant in iver 20 years..

The Misfits tour nonstop and have put out 5 albums in the last 20 years, but ok.

active doesn't equal relevant

Theyre pretty relevant around here. They play a halloween show every year to a sold out crowd in NJ, also I dont think I know anyone without some misfits merch or a tattoo. Right now theyre touring south america and then headling to europe over the summer. everytime i see them its jam packed.

• ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies

Such Gold

inb4lists

I said non-hardcore and relevance would be nice as well. Most of those bands are just legacy touring now. If I really wanted to be cool, I'd write an even cooler list of old bands than yours but that would be missing the point 

Anyone you know of sound anything like Richard Hell or Suicide? Iggy? Anything weird at all or it just brochants? IMO 98% of everything that people have called punk since the mid 80s has been some sort of derivative of hardcore. When people think of punk, CBGB is a useful ground zero, but those bands all sounded different. Blondie and Talking Heads both have as much claim to the punk handle as the Ramones do, but if and when you hear bands that are more descendant of that sound, they're more likely to be called something else like indie or art rock. Even the Misfits were keyboard oriented when they first started. Now if you're some sort of mush that's mostly just aping the Descendants (usually without even realizing that's what you're doing), people will let you get away with calling yourself punk.  I think that's a joke

there from jersey tho and it's Halloween night

No one gives a fuck about the misfits anymore 

Punk is dead

I'm pretty sure in my entire life I've never heard anyone I know even mention those bands ever except maybe the casualties..

the arthouse-meets-lowbrow crowd are more into hip hop now. Some of these rappers are way more punk than the dipshit suburban dweebs that learned their punk from Tony Hawk games 

satan hit the nail on the head

I made it a point to include active bands that still tour and write music. 

Yellow Stitches, Forced Reality, PLeasant Living, Combat Crisis, Cop Problem, TSOL are even newer bands... I just listed bands off the top of my head.... when you list people like Iggy, Richard Hell, Suicide, Ramones to me that's more Punk Rock where as the bands I listed are straight punk. None of the bands I listed are hardcore bands. THey may play with hardcore bands or are on hardcore labels, but they are not hardcore bands. I just dont understand what the big deal is, you look up punk you'll find the ramones, the sex pistols, to the misfits and murphys law, to the casualties and slapshot. dont see the point of being a genre nazi. to me it's old punk and new punk. you guys said theres been no punk bands since the 80's/90's without a hardcore or pop influence, i named 20 off the top of my head. instead of trying to tell me thats not punk... why dont you listen to some of those bands, you'll prolly like them if youre into the old school punk. punk and hardcore are my fav genres of music. i go to these shows all the time and live in the scene. punk is not dead, it's just out of the mainstream where it should be.