Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

official mayhem fest 2015 thread.

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Oh yeah mc, ive seen dtp and it was gay.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I went to two ozzfests the were great but mayhem in 09 was better for me than either of those
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    pitORdie said:

Oh yeah mc, ive seen dtp and it was gay.

Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies

I've never been to Ozzfest, but everyone always says that they were better.

Looking at the lineups, Mayhem is basically the same thing. I don't get it.

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy

I think ozzfests had a few more bands than the mayhem standard. ozzfest also has the upper hand imo because they landed some bands who were really in their prime. seeing MM in 97, pre-mccombs drowning pool, SOAD doing sidestage, would have all been fucking awesome.

as much as I dont care for most nu metal now, they really drew huge crowds because they caught the whole nu metal craze completely. people were going fucking nuts for bands like otep, mudvayne, slipknot, etc during those late 90s/early 00s shows. that would have been a blast.
    I love winning with women
    not to mention ozzfest caught the majority of the first metalcore wave.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Ok, but with our tastes as they are now, they are the same fest. I get in the 90s/early 2000s seeing these nu and up-and-coming bands would have been cool. But if we were to go to an Ozzfest now and see Shadows Fall, Rob Zombie, Slipknot, and Coal Chamber on a lineup the majority of people here would give it the same reaction as Mayhem.

When it comes down to it, they're the same fest. Ozzfest just timed it better with the nu metal/ early core trends. But Mayhem is starting to capitalize on the "djent"/progcore trend now too, sooo.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    well yeah and I think thats because those band are running low on good material. lets face it... all of those bands (ok maybe minus coal chamber unless you count loco or something) had some fucking sweet jams up their sleeves that crowds just ate up. the crowds made a lot of it what it was. I think it would be a blast to seethe nu metal acts all in one setting, even now.

and yeah, ozzfest got lucky, but they were damn good at doing what they did for a good 10+ years.
    progcore stuff is only so big to a crowd that mayhem draws, though. periphery isnt about to even headline a sidestage (not counting the stupid sumerian tent thing) as long as bands like machine head, hatebreed, anthrax, etc are all still alive. mayhem is always going to draw the meathead torn up pantera shirt-wearing motherfuckers because of how big it is just like ozzfest did. and with no ozzfest, the usual ozzfesters are just going to not pay attention to the progcore acts while the kids will. I feel like mayhem has a lot more of a solid line in the sand, but maybe the old school fans were the same to nu metal.

@SATAN / others going to shows back then, thoughts on the early 00s? was nu more accepted by old school fans than this prog stuff is? I didnt go to a show till 05
    and I ask this as general interest as well since I very often hear people who are in their late 30s/40s at shows talking about how much fun theyve had seeing bands like mudvayne and shit back in the early days
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy

Dude, Mayhem has never had as good of a mainstage as Sabbath, Priest, and Slayer. Or Sabbath and Iron Maiden for that matter. They also pulled SOAD which Mayhem has failed every year to do.

Ozzfest has also had Mastodon (supporting Leviathan no less), Nile, Strapping Young Lad, BTBAM, Voivod, Meshuggah, and dozens of others that Mayhem would never be on board with.

And your point about Ozzfest catching bands at the right time is kind of underselling it. For example, booking All That Remains now would be a joke. But in 2004 like Ozzfest did? Completely different story. The same could be said about a lot of bands Ozzfest had back in the day. They caught a lot of bands in their prime or even helped launch their band into the spotlight. The only bands Mayhem have kickstarted are 5FDP and Suicide Silence. Gay.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 10,361 balls deep
    Ozzfest 04 for the win
    Mayhem Denver '08, Albuquereque '09/'10/'11 2012 ????????? peyton manning broncos Pictures, Images and Photos
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Ozzfest '96 & '97 had Neurosis. That's right when Through Silver In Blood came out. That's pretty remarkable if you ask me.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    cup said:

@SATAN / others going to shows back then, thoughts on the early 00s? was nu more accepted by old school fans than this prog stuff is? I didnt go to a show till 05

Uh...not really. I went to '97-'00, '02 and '04. The '96 was mostly a test trial that only had like 10 dates. People were not into metal at all back then. That actually necessitated them creating a package tour because a lot of those bands couldn't get much traction alone. They specifically needed bands like Pantera, Marilyn Manson and Tool to draw. I actually never saw Manson on Ozzfest. They were only on part of the '97 trek and my show had Pantera co-headlining. The nu bands were pretty reviled at first. I remember people throwing shit at Coal Chamber in '97 and Limp Bizkit in '98. The 2000 package had a lot more of a mainstream feel and brought that type of audience. Godsmack, SOAD, QOTSA and Incubus were on the main stage. That crowd hated QOTSA, which kinda turned me off. That's why I skipped '01 (besides the terrible bill). '02 had Meshuggah, Down and Hatebreed on the side stage, but it was pretty spare crowd-wise when they played because people either showed up for lostprophets and immediately split or just showed up late. It's funny to think about how crowds responded to Pantera during their 2 stints. The '97 show was pretty much Sabbath and Pantera with openers as far as most people were concerned. But by 2000, Pantera were so out of style with the nu-metal wave happening that I remember a bunch of people skipping out to go watch whoever was on the side stage (Ozzfest staged alternated more like Warped until '02). You'd think that Pantera was more of a draw the way people are about them now
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 10,361 balls deep
    I watch videos of 2000 ozzfest with pantera
    Ive never seen people standing so still to pantera
    Mayhem Denver '08, Albuquereque '09/'10/'11 2012 ????????? peyton manning broncos Pictures, Images and Photos
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker

Ozzfest '96 & '97 had Neurosis. That's right when Through Silver In Blood came out. That's pretty remarkable if you ask me.

Shit woulda been crazy
    Tho I doubt an outdoor venue is the ideal place for that set
    Personally I prefer stoner bands inside and really dark lol
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    Yeah that shit was gay as fuck. I remember the crowd really going apeshit for Godsmack who played right before Pantera because 'Voodoo' was big on the radio at the time. I hated those damn people. Nirvana had kinda ducked buttrock's head under the water for a minute, but Godsmack and their ilk brought it back. Gross
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Ill listen to godsmack anyday over bands like asking Alexandria and tdwp or even periphery atr atreyu etc
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Fuck, even the last Ozzfest had some sick bands. Ozzy, Halford, Goatwhore, Skeletonwitch, Saviours, Kataklysm, and Kingdom Of Sorrow would've been enough for me to go.

Granted it also had garbage like Motley Crue and Nonpoint but I'd take it.