Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

2013 Albums of The Year Thread

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    SATAN said:

If you get into any art for money, you're doing it wrong

And it usually shows

There is a difference in the argument here. Yes, you should go into art to express yourself, and to put out the very best you can. Money should be an afterthought.

However, a hobby in an art cannot become a career without money, without protection, etc.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?

Dont start. Stealing intellectual property is still stealing.

Listening to the album on youtube is no better.......
    Streaming isn't illegal though.
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Nah not even major labels as a matter of fact. If you are on a label PERIOD, you are a branch of a business, minor or major. Unless you're completely independent and doing shit for absolutely free, me for example, you are part of a business.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    buncha :ar! s
    I love winning with women
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Honestly for why would I waste my time writing a bunch of paragraphs explaining the intrinsic value of music when y'all just won't understand anyways..
    View it as you like but I see music completely differently
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy

Dont start. Stealing intellectual property is still stealing.

Listening to the album on youtube is no better.......
    Streaming isn't illegal though.
    But the album 99 percent of the time is put onto youtube by a third party who does not own the rights or have the permission to do so. Which is infringing on intellectual property. And the "well I'm not responsible, youtube is" is an extremely hypocritical attitude to have.
    Why the fuck do you think so many artists say "Fuck the music business."?

It's a BUSINESS.

That doesn't mean I ain't doing it for the love of music, that simply means I acknowledge it for what it is.

If I was passionate about football or basketball and wanted to make it to the league, does that mean I'm only doing it for the money/fame due to the fact that I acknowledge that both leagues are MAJOR fucking businesses?

All art and media is a business and there's absolutely no denying that.

Movies are a business.
    Video games are a business.
    Music is a business.
    Major league sports are a business.
    Even BOOKS are a business.

Kill yourself.
    edited December 2013
    NolaMetal said:

Honestly for why would I waste my time writing a bunch of paragraphs explaining the intrinsic value of music when y'all just won't understand anyways..
    View it as you like but I see music completely differently

Aka pretentious ass hipster faggot. Goddamn you're disgusting.

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy

SATAN said:

And it usually shows

There is a difference in the argument here. Yes, you should go into art to express yourself, and to put out the very best you can. Money should be an afterthought.

However, a hobby in an art cannot become a career without money, without protection, etc.
    I'll put it to you this way: I have experience in both the film and music worlds and you are going to find out pretty quickly that if you really want to get somewhere that you are going to have to brush up on your people skills. With the attitude you have and the naïveté of your expectations, things are going to be very rough. I'm not trying to be a douche, just be straight with you. Art is a cut-throat world because of commerce. It will never be what you do but who you are that matters. Social butterflys can get their foot in the door in any situation. For introverts like us (you and Erik included), you could have the best material in the world but it's not going to matter because you can't talk it up properly. That's why we're bombarded with shitty music and movies all the time. There's a man with money bags at the top and he doesn't give a fuck about what you're trying to accomplish, he cares about his funds. Until artists get out from under the "business" and do things a new way on their own terms, you're going to continue to see a lot of great art ignored or just plain not released because it doesn't benefit some jackass that only cares about his bottom line
    Music at it's core ain't a business.

The minute it's sold, it is.

The minute I start charging for my mixtapes or albums, that's the same time my music becomes (an attempt at) an entrepreneurial business.
    Do either of you even know what "points" are?
    I'll wait while you google
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy

But laws protect people, and without that protection we'd have a lot less push for productivity.

I hope you die first when it happens
    SATAN said:

SATAN said:

And it usually shows

I'll put it to you this way: I have experience in both the film and music worlds and you are going to find out pretty quickly that if you really want to get somewhere that you are going to have to brush up on your people skills. With the attitude you have and the naïveté of your expectations, things are going to be very rough. I'm not trying to be a douche, just be straight with you. Art is a cut-throat world because of commerce. It will never be what you do but who you are that matters. Social butterflys can get their foot in the door in any situation. For introverts like us (you and Erik included), you could have the best material in the world but it's not going to matter because you can't talk it up properly. That's why we're bombarded with shitty music and movies all the time. There's a man with money bags at the top and he doesn't give a fuck about what you're trying to accomplish, he cares about his funds. Until artists get out from under the "business" and do things a new way on their own terms, you're going to continue to see a lot of great art ignored or just plain not released because it doesn't benefit some jackass that only cares about his bottom line
    I know. Its "who you know, not what you know" in the entertainment industry. I understand that there are a lot of things wrong with the business. I'm hoping not to become too involved in that side of things. In all actuality, I'm hoping to start my own independent studio. I'm still going to have to make money doing that though if I want to make a career out of it.

And I still think upholding somebody's rights to intellectual is important, not only to the business, but to encouraging creativity as a whole as well. There will be less people willing to create if it becomes increasingly easier to steal their creativity. That's what I was trying to get at by this whole thing.

I'm with you guys on a lot of this. I stand more with art, and the artist than I do with the Big Men at the top. But that still doesn't mean I think straight up piracy is right. I believe the business needs to adapt to different models than it follows right now. I think Bandcamp and "Pay-What-You-Want" services is the best thing to happen to the entertainment industry as of late. Usually those services make more money than individual sales anyways, and people can get things for free - legally. I also think subscription based programs, like spotify and Netflix, are genius too.

I have to think business-like though, because if I can't make a living with music in the future, then my time and money is being wasted right now.
    SATAN said:

Do either of you even know what "points" are?

I may know? Explain a little?
    In all actuality, a lot more is at stake than just the artists's paycheck too.

You have to worry about the people who make the physical CDs, and CD cases, and booklets. The audio engineers, the producer, the mixer, the master. The distributor. The marketing team.

All those people are affected.
    Steve Albini explains this much better than I can

http://www.negativland.com/news/?page_id=17
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Sounds like a nightmare
    >start MU record label
    >profit
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod