Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comic books

Comments

• MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,695 spicy boy

i got Guardians of the Galaxy, Rocket Racoon, Megaman X, Power Rangers, a TMNT Halloween special, Guard Mouse, Rust, and a couple indie things for free. 

Also picked up the Army of Darkness annual and Infinity #5 that I was missing. 

Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy

How is Army Of Darkness btw? Who makes it? I see it at the shop all the time but i've just never checked it out or anything.

im reading "Ash and the Army of Darkness". Its by Dynamite. Written by Steve Niles. Its a reboot of their old "Army of Darkness" title. Its a sequel to the movies. Pretty cool. 

Also i just read through the TMNT arc "City Fall". Freakin' awesome! 

So Sue and Johnny's dad for the upcoming Fantastic Four movie got announced, and he's being portrayed as black. Of course this is stirring an internet comment frenzy, where people are saying they don't like the change, and people are now throwing out "racist" to anyone who doesn't like. 

So my thoughts: I hate how because people don't like that they are changing the characters, they are being referred to as racist. Yes, these are fictional characters, but these are characters with over 50 years of history, and fanbase. And fans want to see these characters portrayed as they are in the comics. Comic characters have become something like King Arthur. Has King Arthur ever not been displayed as English?

That being said, why can't people just make new characters that are diverse? Miles Morales was a great idea to have a black/hispanic Spiderman. I don't see many people who had a problem with that. A different race for the hero doesn't seem to be the major problem, but a different race for the character. IE: A different race for Spiderman or the Human Torch is generally accepted, but not an un-white Peter Parker or Johnny Storm.  Hell even the gay Green Lantern controversy blew over rather quickly because people don't really care if Green Lantern is gay, they just don't want to see Hal Jordan or John Stewart gay for the sake of making them gay. 

It goes from spreading diversity, to forcing it. It doesn't work as well. Diversity is good, but change for the sake of change is what irritates people. I honestly think comic and movie writers should focus on making new characters (and even better new superheroes) that are of different races, genders, and sexuality, than changing existing characters. It would be met with a lot less backlash. 

Your thoughts? 

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,822 spicy boy

I like what happened to Nick Fury. I admit I haven't really paid much attn to the Spiderman or Green Lantern stuff. I think it works better if they're organic and not contrived. Being more diverse is going to sell more books and tickets though because people are becoming more diverse here in the states and there's more money to be made from foreign markets as well

Well, first of all your King Arthur comment was a bad comparison. He's the king of England, thats the whole point. Changing him black or hispanic straight up wouldn't make sense and would dirctly conflict with plot and backstory. Changing a kid from New York who gets bit by a spider to a black or hispanic kid doesnt change the story. Like at all. And not just in print form either. Its not like they're gonna have a black Johhny Storm talking jive in the new FF movie. It changes one thing: the color of their skin. I dont see how it is such a big deal. Turning a character gay is a little more complicated, as it would eliminate characters such as Mary Jane and alter relationships with characters such as Felicia Hardy.

As far as them making new characters, specifically heroes, its not that simple man. Look at Marvel's current book list. None of those characters were created after like 1985 lol. The big 2 dont make new heroes period, let alone a minority hero. I think the people the constantly bitch about the changes are just entitled brats tbh. 

I get what you're saying. It really doesnt change the story that much. My point was its an established character with many years of lore. I just wanted to shoot some thoughts around. Mainly what would avoid backlash in the future.

There have been steps done in a good way recently I think. like I mentioned, Miles as Spiderman. They had a Ghost Rider be a female, and now a Ghost Rider as a hispanic. Batwing is a new black character DC has introduced recently. And those havent gotten major backlash. Because they were all new characters. 

Going both ways, you bet your ass people would be pissed about an un-black Blade (doesnt have to be white) or something. Hell Im mad Shredder isnt asian for the new TMNT movie. And would be pissed about an un-black Black Panther or Cyborg or Storm. 

Even black Nick Fury is a new character. Its the original Nick Fury's son or some shit. 

I dont really count characters like Batwing or Miles Morales or Simon Baz or the chick Ghostrider because they're directly aping off of known characters. They are either the same alter ego or slight variations of it. 

Good point on the Shredder/Black Panther/etc thing doe. Although my problems with Shredder go beyond just not being Asian. Being a ceo, suit type is a big part of it as well. That translats over to the Foot Clan too (if you can even call them that ugh) 

Even Nick Fury isnt REALLY a new character. Lets be real. Its just a loophole so it'll fit into the cannon. Its not like he acts different or anything from the original.

Even Nick Fury isnt REALLY a new character. Lets be real. Its just a loophole so it'll fit into the cannon. Its not like he acts different or anything from the original.

Is the new shredder a mecha?

that would be icing

I've never read the Ninja Turtles comics. What was the original comic version of his origin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csn1j65e7oQ

This movie had mech-shredder. The overall movie is pretty badass though. Features the 2003 cartoon TMNT, 1980s cartoon TMNT, and the Eastman/Laird comic TMNT in a crossover movie.

Poverty mobile won't allow me to watch

So...there's 3 different versions of the turtles co-mingling?

edited May 2014
    SATAN said:

I've never read the Ninja Turtles comics. What was the original comic version of his origin?

Basically Shredder (Oroku Saki) and Hamato Yoshi (sort of Splinter... depending on which timeline you look at) got in a feud over a girl (Tang Shen). Yoshi got the girl, and Shredder was mad and killed them both. Then Yoshi's bet rat, Splinter, got mutated along with the turtles, and trained them in ninjitsu with the sole purpose of killing Shredder in revenge.  

edited May 2014

I really like the current TMNT (comic) origins for the characters.

Yoshi and Saki were both clan (Foot Clan) brothers in Japan. Saki became the clan leader, and Yoshi didn't like the new violent way that Saki was leading the clan, so he left. Saki was mad and killed Tang Chen (who was married to Yoshi). Yoshi fled with his four sons. Saki found them, and executed all five of them. Years later, Yoshi was reincarnated into Splinter, and the sons into the four turtles. Shredder was reborn through cooperation with a Japanese goddess. 

that's a great origin

no wonder they changed it