Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Way to bury my Giant Squid review Britt...
    Lol, same thing happened to my summer slaughter review, oh well.
    I loved Slayer's stage, mostly because of the fire. I thought Manson's was generic compared to every other headliner's stage.
    Not a huge Slayer fan here though so I'm sure I'd appreciate it a lot more if I was into their stuff.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Way to bury my Giant Squid review Britt...
    Sorry Wine...but then again, this is a "Mayhem site". :) Don't blame me. ;)
    You'll live...

this time...

this time...
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Just think of my sunburn as being payment....
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    *taps foot, waiting for another review...*
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    I'll have another one to do next week for Carnival of Madness. I can't wait. Free tickets, bitches.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    My favorite song by Korn live is Another Brick In the Wall... <_>
    imageimage
    From Me?

I'm on it.
    edited July 2010
    I'll have another one to do next week for Carnival of Madness. I can't wait. Free tickets, bitches.
    Tickets for that show were cheap anyway, so jealous I am not. :P

Mayhem August 6, then Carnival the day after for me...it will be fun.
    All we had to do to get free tickets were hang up some posters at local malls...and we all know Jersey has a lot of malls.
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    edited July 2010
    *taps foot, waiting for another review...*
    Went to see Jaycup & The Sunflower Band. Once again the lead singer(Jaycup) was being a bitch. He demanded water and said some weird shit. Then he ranted on about how he is a god and some shit. Show was awful and I left early.

I wrote this on his official band page..."Jaycup...you're a bitch <_>"
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    I'm waiting till mayhem to see the stage setup. I've seen some of it but do t want to see the whole thing
    I'm waiting till mayhem to see the stage setup. I've seen some of it but do t want to see the whole thing
    Then skip over my pictures....
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited July 2010
    i took this light rail thing for the first time that dropped me off inside the venue which was awesome. i wanted to see winds of plague and as soon as we got off the train they hit the stage. it was my brothers first concert, so i was excited for him. IT WAS HOTT AS FUCK! i'm such a dumbass for not wearing sunscreen, but anyway, here's my review.

norma jean?
    beyond the scar? - seen them last year, they suck

winds of plague- 8/10/ i only started listening to them a few months ago because they were on the tour, the cd is decent, but i thought they put on a great show, good live band, great sound. they fired up the crowd like britt said and it was the 1st band playing when i got there so i was excited to be there.

shadows fall- 7/10 good as usual, not great, but good, always a decent show. the guitar player was killing it. the singer gets the crowd going.

3 inches of blood- 6/10 i was getting dehydrated and my bro had to piss so i missed most of their set, but they sounded great from across the parkinglot, i wished i would have seen them.

chimiara- 8/10 awesome! it sounded like i was listening to the cd! the past few weeks, i busted out my old chimiara cd's have have been jammin them hard, so they were one of the bands i was more excited to see, and they didnt dissapoint.

atreyu? didnt watch, i rehydrated and waited for hatebreed

hatebreed- 10/10 this band never gets old, they always have the craziest pits and theyre always the loudest band of the day. its like they make music for moshing. i took my bro right up front and they opened up with the national anthem then right into everyone fucking bleeds now. soon as they hit the stage the whole crowd was a pit, biggest pit of the day, circle pit around the sound booth, my lil bro held his own too, i seen his skinny ass pushing some big dudes! and they played alot of old shit which was cool! hatebreed was exciting, dont miss them and stand right in the front! half way through the set, i was so tired from the heat, i thought i was gonna pass out, so i was woozy the last few songs, but me and my bro had a great time! afterward i drank 3 bottles of water in a row.

in this moment- 2/10 they suck, i left, shes not hot, the keyboardist from winds of plague is hotter. why do people think shes so hott? they sounded annoying, i left after 2 songs.

metal mulisha? once again, it was too windy. i really wanna see that shit.

i met hatebreed, and bought a hatebreed hat and winds of plague shirt, they were $20, i wanted a lamb of god shirt, but i thought $35 was a rip off.

i was on the lawn for the main stage and the sound wasnt that good, and during 5fdp and log it was still sunny, so i couldnt see shit and they didnt activate the big screens till dark. everyone gets 6/10 except zombie because i think if i was closer and not on the lawn it they woulda been better.

5fdp- 6/10 i never liked this band, but they sounded ok. i missed half the set buying shit and meeting hatebreed. i wouldnt go out and buy the album or anything, but the singer has a nice voice and the band sounded good. not really my type of music, but i can see why people like them.

lamb of god- 6/10 i'm fucking dissapointed man, they sounded like shit, maybe it was just the sound system at the place on the lawn. the only thing that was fun was watching the drunks in the pit. i've seen log prolly 50 times, and they always deliver, maybe if i was closer?

zombie- 10/10 what can i say, i bitched about how much i didnt want him on the tour and his show was incredible, thats all i'm gonna say, i want people to see for themselves.

korn- 6/10 sounded like shit on the lawn, it was like it wasnt loud enough, i could talk to the people next to me and not have to yell. it was my 1st time seeing korn, i wish they played more old shit, but it was ok, just wish it was louded and clearer. i wish i had pit tickets, but couldnt afford them. owell.

great day, sunburned as fuck, my bro was smiling from ear to ear so i'm glad he had a killer time his 1st show. i didnt see anyone puke which is awesome :)! i also didnt see any tdont miss hatebreed and zombie! cant wait till next year!
    From Me?

I'm on it.
    Yayz.
  • rammstein516rammstein516 Posts: 3,720 juggalo
    Haha, Jaycup & The Sunflower Band.

great day, sunburned as fuck, my bro was smiling from ear to ear so i'm glad he had a killer time his 1st show. i didnt see anyone puke which is awesome :)! i also didnt see any tdont miss hatebreed and zombie! cant wait till next year!
    *high five* my sunburned fellow! I'm charred as well!
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Then skip over my pictures....
    I did lol
    edited July 2010
    For the 0 people that care, this actually was the first show that I've driven to in San Francisco all by my lonesome. I've had friends with me before, but since I'm actually a good hour away from downtown including traffic, the trip gets boring and the driving is hard as hell. After about three wrong turns, and an encounter with a homeless man who I'm pretty sure was my 3rd grade teacher, I got to Slim's just before Dysrhythmia, who will henceforth be known as Band A so I don't have to write their name again, hit the stage.

Band A were okay, they had the tunes to get me somewhat interested, but the execution just wasn't there. I was intrigued briefly for about 10 seconds each song, then was bored and wanted some pizza. I made a merch call during them, and picked up a tour shirt which is surprisingly boss. I really liked the designs they had. Band A's set creeped along slowly, and I was pretty happy when it was over.

Intronaut are a band that a guy over at metalsetlists just adores, but I can't get into the same way. They have some riffs that crush, but other times can't keep me entertained. They did a pretty good job of the latter live though, I will admit. They played Australopithecus which is my favorite hominid as well as my favorite song of theirs, so I was quite ecstatic. They closed with a song called Any Port, which I wasn't too familiar with. It absolutely floored me. The had the second guitarist do some drums during the song, and it was incredible. I recommend people check out some live footage of the song, especially the drum solo/duet at the end. It's really quite something. In fact, I'll do it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItNkeTuZF1k

Yeah, it was amazing.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS it take forever for Cynic to hit the stage. There was this brief 10 minutes where these guys would ironically scream metal bands, followed by a hilarious moment where this one guy in a dull monotone yells "Creed!" Sorta a you had to be there moment, but it was funny at the time. After some more waiting, I waited a little bit more. Then, Cynic came on. Veil of Maya was extremely tight at the beginning, but Paul stopped it half way through, saying his amp kept cutting out, and how we had to start this right. They then started all over again, but Paul was still fiddling with his vocoder, mic, amps and everything until Focus was done. Uroboric Forms is an absolute monster live, and a true representation of heavy Cynic at its best. After How Could I, Paul put down his guitar.

"This tour, is really the show we've been wanting to do for a long time and explore what this band is truly about. Which is some really heavy shit, and some really mellow shit. You just heard the heavy shit, so we're going to tone it down now. Here's the palette cleanser."

Guy from Audience: "FLATTENING OF EMOTIONS!!!!"

"No. That is not a palette cleanser. Thats...a whole nother monster in itself. Death metal...punk...some thrash...no. We just released an EP with a reimagining of a lot of Traced in Air. This is a reimagining of one of the heavier tracks, and it's called Integral."

He then brought out another guitar, and performed it with the rest of the band being fairly silent. It was serene, and totally beautiful. They then cruised straight through Nunc Fluens and Space for This, with Paul chiming in every now and then.

"We need to let go completely. Get rid of this body. It's so limiting."

I was sort of concerned about the way the Traced in Air material would be live, because it's not as heavy, it's much more ethereal and less straight up than Focus. I thought they performed the two as equals, and they were both excellently done. After Wheels Within Wheels, Paul and the crowd agreed there won't be an encore, since we started late, and they'll just play through the break. I'm in favor of this. Cynic live is an experience, not a collection of songs, there should be no two or three minutes to recollect yourself. Adam's Murmur wasn't the kind of set closer I was hoping for anyway. They then performed Nunc Stans, which has some really cool moments, and is really cool to see live. Afterwards, Paul got to his mic and said,

"Right after we broke up, we did this demo, called Portal. We never really planned on it being released, and one of our objectives in this tour was to do a song from that EP. So we're going to do Cosmos for you right now."

I was really happy, because I thought that the short time of their discography would allow for a few surprises like this, and it really was pleasing in the set. One of the better songs of the night. No one really knew what to do though, because not many had heard the song before. They closed up with the Traced in Air version of Integral Birth to put the seal on an amazing night, and one of the more fulfilling live experiences of my life. I reached Paul right as they were ending the set, and said "Thank You" and he gave me his pick from the performance.

Traced in Air as an album had a few moments that were considered boring and dragging, which is not a good sign for a thirty-five minute album. Cynic, in a live setting, manage to take those moments that might be considered boring from a studio recording, and turn them into an experience. The slow interludes in Veil of Maya, the angelic cries in the beginning of Space for This, and the robotic monologue of Cosmos weaves into an experience that you don't get at very many live shows.

If you are at all considering going to this one, I'd make it.

Band A: 6/10
    Intronaut: 7/10
    Cynic: 9/10

Merch photos coming.
    After about three wrong turns, and an encounter with a homeless man who I'm pretty sure was my 3rd grade teacher,
    HAH! Priceless.