Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    A traveling philfest is something we would all like to see but face it .. It would never draw the people equivalent to a mayhem or ozzfest.. At least mayhem tried to bring a mix of trv and false metal fans to make more money.. White trash Girls and and affliction bros who want the hot topic sluts that go to mayhem aren't gonna go to a philfest.. Ever. 
    The way a traveling philfest would work is they would have to charge more to make up for the volumes of people.. Would the trv metallers pony up and pay more for a better show or would they stay home? Idk
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    So you're telling me that despite the fact that Warped does fine with a shitload of nobodies every year with a couple of mid-level headliners sprinkled in, a metal tour with the same discipline couldn't do the same? Say Phil tours with one of his projects and then gets a Testament or Motörhead or Misfits in there for name recognition. Why couldn't that work? Hell, if you attached Housecore to this Slayer/King Diamond bill, people would jizz and it would prolly cost less to put on. Mayhem is doing it wrong. People travel from all over to see the boutique metal fests like MDF. I think it's a defeatist attitude to think we just have to settle for washed up headliners and some garbage corporate core shit with a couple of decent bands sprinkled in. If anything, Mayhem had been an affront to the core base of metal it's entire run. We have people that don't like or understand our culture dictating what they think we should watch and they're complaining because it doesn't work. I don't understand why more people aren't irritated by that
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Warped is nothing but washed up headliners and shitty corporate core bands though
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    @SATAN part of the problem is that Lyman has said in the past that corporate sponsorships pay for like 90% of band guarantees on Warped Tour. Its safe to say the same is true for Mayhem. 

There's no way in hell those corporations are gonna front the money for a 14 band death and doom metal tour to try and fill up ampitheaters.

And MDF is a bad comparison. Its one weekend a year and it still only pulls in a few thousand. If MDF became a tour and traveled the US it would pull a couple hundred, MAYBE a thousand at every stop.
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    How much money do corporates like Vans throw at something like Warped and what do they get out of it in return? I guess it improves their branding but do they also get returns from gate and/or product/merch sales as well at the shows?
    @SATAN part of the problem is that Lyman has said in the past that corporate sponsorships pay for like 90% of band guarantees on Warped Tour. Its safe to say the same is true for Mayhem. 

There's no way in hell those corporations are gonna front the money for a 14 band death and doom metal tour to try and fill up ampitheaters.

And MDF is a bad comparison. Its one weekend a year and it still only pulls in a few thousand. If MDF became a tour and traveled the US it would pull a couple hundred, MAYBE a thousand at every stop.

Warped is nothing but washed up headliners and shitty corporate core bands though
    First: ky @Tim for poverty quotes #worstforumever

@metalcrusadesBecause that's all their audience requires

@fuck_lil_b Scion puts together a festival every year of bands that have 0 corporate appeal. Faggy Scion. Vans did Warped because it used to be an integrated music/skate/bmx thing. Why not get one of the video game companies that makes horror games to go in? Lollapalooza had tents one year where they previewed the XBOX. They had little tents set up all over the place with stations inside. By going with Rockstar, they're effectively surrendering to trailer trash and bros. Leave that shit to Uproar. Let Devil Wears Prada open for Creed. There's money to be made in metal. There's just a lack of respect for the form from people that don't understand the culture. It's the same as the 90s and early 2000s when they disrespected comic book potential in film. It took Chris Nolan taking Batman seriously before other movies followed suit. Now a new comic based blockbuster comes out 4 times a summer and makes tons of money. 

This is is why America sucks now. We don't dictate the market enough, we allow it to get dictated to us
    <------------idealist 
    I still think youre comparing apples to oranges. Scion tickets were free right? And they still only held it in large clubs. 

Personally, i dont think its the headliners that is the problem. Its the 12 other bands on the lineup. Hellyeah on their own tour draw like 600 people a night. Why not Testament or Carcass or Deafheaven or even Ghost?

I've never met anyone who gives a fuck of even knows about Kissing Candy or whatever the fuck. Why not Pallbearer or Kvelertak or Gojira instead? 

Let the buttrock kiddies have the headliners to show up and fill the seats and give the side stages to the metal fans who dont mind leaving early.
    Dont they have Uproar too? 
    Its cancelled this year
    I still think youre comparing apples to oranges. Scion tickets were free right? And they still only held it in large clubs. 

Personally, i dont think its the headliners that is the problem. Its the 12 other bands on the lineup. Hellyeah on their own tour draw like 600 people a night. Why not Testament or Carcass or Deafheaven or even Ghost?

I've never met anyone who gives a fuck of even knows about Kissing Candy or whatever the fuck. Why not Pallbearer or Kvelertak or Gojira instead? 

Let the buttrock kiddies have the headliners to show up and fill the seats and give the side stages to the metal fans who dont mind leaving early.
    That's my point though.  

Slayer
    King Diamond
    Testament
    Carcass
    Gojira
    Ghost
    Deafheaven
    Kvelertak
    Pallbearer

Seems too easy
    But what if it was something like

Disturbed
    Volbeat
    Killswitch Engage
    Testament
    Carcass
    Gojira
    Ghost
    Deafheaven
    Kvelertak
    Pallbearer

would you still feel the same way?
    I think with that you would have 2 different crowds: one that shows early and leaves before the dreck and one that shows late for the hits
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    SATAN said:
    ... said:
    Kyfs satan
    ... said:
    Landbridge were so fucking good, holy shit

So, because i enjoyed a band that I was previously unfamiliar with at a show, that warrants being the subject of an elitist joke of yours? 

lol ok.

Regardless. Landbridge were awesome, if you're into Ringworm, Yautja and Cult Leader you'll dig them. 
    inb4lists
    SATAN said:
    I think with that you would have 2 different crowds: one that shows early and leaves before the dreck and one that shows late for the hits
    Better than the tour selling 20% capacity though dont ya think?
    It seems like a decent compromise. People like Dime and MC and FF should love it. My personal interest would be based on price. If it's $20 then hell yeah. $45, prolly not
    SATAN said:
    It seems like a decent compromise. People like Dime and MC and FF should love it. My personal interest would be based on price. If it's $20 then hell yeah. $45, prolly not
    I'd go, but not for the headliners. Testament, Carcass, Kvelertak, KSE, and Pallbearer are who'd interest me from that hypothetical. 

I concede that your generation has a different idea about bands like Disturbed and Shitknot. I know even some of the current kvlt kids would stay through that stuff. I guess I kinda understand. I'd be all in if they had Sepultura or Biohazard original lineups. I'd even be down for Danzig and Megadeth if it was just for nostalgia. Ministry, Helmet, even Soundgarden. I'd rather see any of that over Maiden & Priest or Trivium & Killswitch
    Maiden and Priest >

I don't care, I still like classic bands. 
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    SATAN said:
    Actually, and I'm not just saying this, I'd see Carcass, Gojira and/or Deafheaven over Disturbed/Volbeat any day. I like DH and Gojira and I love Carcass. I saw Carcass last year. Just because I listen to some nu-metal doesn't mean thats what I want dominating Mayhem all the fucking time. I've been saying for years they need something new. I'm a total Korn fanboy and even I don't need to see them on Mayhem 3 times. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I see those bands alot on their solo tours. I want something special for Mayhem since its only a once a year occasion. I've been saying since the Mayhem forum days that I would absolutely love to see a Mercenary/Carcass/Kreator Mayhem line up.