Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    This thread just got bumped :-??
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Despite being sick as hell and having a shitty day at work, I hauled ass to the venue to try and make it in time for the show. I got to Lupo's towards the end of the first band, which was a two-piece named "68" that apparently is the new band from the vocalist of The Chariot. Their music is pretty outside of my taste zone, but they were entertaining and had good energy. 

Next up was Act of Defiance, the new project from ex-Megadeth members Shawn Drover and Chris Broderick. Despite having respect for both of their musical chops, their show absolutely sucked. A combination of a really bad soundboard mix and drunk assholes hardcore dancing to thrash pretty much killed the mood. Not a single song stood out as sounding good. After they were done a drunk dude on the rail tried to fight me and got kicked out after I told him to stop pushing me back when there wasn't a band playing. He snuck back in, tried to get his spot back from me, and got kicked out again. It was pretty hilarious.

Then up was one of my favorite bands, Unearth. I saw them headline Lupo's back in 2012 to a practically empty venue, and the show was far more enjoyable this time around as it was almost sold out. The crowd got nice and rowdy, and Unearth put on one hell of an energetic show with a sick setlist. Unfortunately the mixing still sorta sucked, as I couldn't hear Buz's mic or guitar very well despite being right in front of him. After the show the girl next to me got their setlist, which was written in sharpie on a piece of cardboard from a 30 rack of beer.

Finally up was Killswitch. The christmas theme of the show became evident when they blew up giant inflatable holiday versions of Darth Vader and Yoda on either side of the drum kit, and revealed the "Merry Christmas" candy cane archway over the kit. The road crew were all dressed as elves, and the band came out in Santa shirts and hats. Justin played the whole show in a full Santa outfit. Opening with My Curse was interesting choice to get their biggest hit out of the way, but it worked surprisingly well. Their set was amazing, mixing was on point, with a nearly perfect setlist. Jesse gave his all for the homecoming show, jumping into the crowd throughout and screaming with all of us. Several times he came up to me on the rail and we shared the microphone, accidentally getting mouthfuls of Jesse spit but worth it. Also got punched in the chest by Adam D. Seeing The Arms of Sorrow and Just Barely Breathing live was practically a religious experience for me, the former taking me back to when I was 14 and first getting into metal, and the latter being my favorite song by the band. Wound up getting a bass pick from Mike and a setlist from the show.

68: 6/10
    Act of Defiance: 4/10
    Unearth: 8/10
    KSE: Goddamn 10/10
    Unearth:
    The Great Dividers
    The Swarm
    Watch it Burn
    This Lying World
    Never Cease
    Endless
    Burial Lines
    Last Wish
    Giles
    Zombie Autopilot
    My Will Be Done

KSE:
    My Curse
    Beyond the Flames
    Life to Lifeless
    Strength of the Mind
    Rose of Sharyn
    Numbered Days
    The Arms of Sorrow
    This Fire Burns
    Take This Oath
    Loyalty
    Just Barely Breathing
    This is Absolution
    Fixation on the Darkness
    You Don't Bleed For Me
    Vide Infra
    Always
    My Last Serenade
    A Bid Farewell
    In Due Time
    The End of Heartache
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    68' are awesome dudes, and hilarious to talk too. Josh Scogin loves to play tricks and fuck arpynd for photographers. 
    inb4lists
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Around
    inb4lists
    Shows already over. 
    Review tonight. Ozzy was solid besides a few hiccups on hand of doom. 
    No sweetleaf or electric funeral kinda sucked though. 

imageimage
    $45 a shirt? Jesus fuck
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    yeah, no offense but I'm kinda hoping you guys just got shafted or something because the set I saw isn't bad but it's shorter than I was expecting 
    That was pretty much the set from the rehearsal clip
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Fuck I'd wanna buy a few of those shirts 
    I got the paranoid shirt 
    I got the paranoid one. 
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    dat addy
    I love winning with women
    I got the paranoid one. 
    Band was tight and their video board was so dope. Riffs so heavy. Ozzy didn't really talk much they just played which is why I think they didn't play as long. Crowd was kinda lame but I don't go there to look at the crowd. 

9/10

still should have left earlier. 
    People complaining they aren't playing like hole in the sky, sabbath bloody sabbath, sabra cadbra, etc are dumb. Ozzy could hardly do hand of doom.