Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Link to the article
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    I was just discussing this with the Mrs yesterday. I can't believe Kevin came out and said the things he did with the tour just now happening. He's such a fucking idiot. Metal bands don't owe him shit. A lot of people disregard Kerry King, but he's spot on about what's happening. This is the most prosperous time for metal in prolly 30 years, especially more extreme metal. But Kevin is shitting the bed by concentrating on his Warped model. If he wants headliners to take less money, he should let them play 45 minute sets at 5pm like they do at Warped. Slayer has to anchor the show with a closing set every night. And they don't need the tour. Their Unholy Alliance tour with Lamb of God and Mastodon a few years ago was better.
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    A slayer/King diamond stand alone tour would probably profit more. 
    inb4lists
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Metalsucks is reporting that Mayhem offered both Guns N Roses and Pantera to headline :-?
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    deceased. now ive heard it all =)) =)) =))
    I love winning with women
    HURRRRR PANTERA WITH ZAKK WYLDE YEAH BROTHER THE SOUF RISES AGAIN
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    Metalsucks is reporting that Mayhem offered both Guns N Roses and Pantera to headline :-?
    Old
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Old
    Want2flag
    TRUMP said:
    deceased. now ive heard it all =)) =)) =))
    You know it'd sell out like mad doe
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Xenocide said:
    Dime said:
    Seeing how bad the turnout was pretty much convinced me that Mayhem is on its last legs.
    Not necessarily. Get something like Disturbed/Volbeat/Lamb of God on main stage next year and they'll sell just fine. All the regular suspects just had something else going on this year so they were stuck. That being said it's probably not lasting much longer than another year or two barring a miracle headliner (System, Rammstein, Maiden, etc.).
    But a year like this can still financially kill it, turn off potential sponsors/investors etc.

I read some article last week that was basically all of Slayer shit-talking the festival and saying they think this is probably the last year
    Yeah. King pretty much called Mayhem a glorified Slayer show. Best party was when he said "From a fan perspective I understand it. I wouldn't pay money to come to this show either." =))
    itd sell like a tool show, yeah. hell id go and get hammered during guns n roses because they blow rectum and then get stereotypically rowdy during pantera. would have to take my shirt off and chug bud lites too.
    I think the implication was they offered Guns N Roses and Pantera after the other declined. Not as coheadliners.
    And Pantera reunion >>> Tool show attendance wise. Get the fuck outta here.
    edited July 2015
    Guns would be a waste. Axl would show late for like 3 of the first 5 dates, then throw a hissy fit and bail. Then they'd get stuck tossing stupid money at someone else to float the tour. Time for Mayhem to call it a day and someone that understands the genre better to step up

Which reminds me: I said something about Philfest on Blabbermouth in the comments about Kevin's "fat, bald" story and the Neanderthals over there shit all over it because in their professional opinions it wouldn't be profitable enough because of headliners. This attitude is why the summer metal tour climate sucks. This antiquated belief in the old way is what's "holding metal back"; The idea that you have to have some gigantic headliner to prevail. It's kinda ironic in a way that Kevin is the one failing at this when he succeeds so well at it with Warped. He knows that he can toss 40 nobody bands out there and every  one of the 5000 teenagers there will go home having "discovered" a couple of them and make them their new fave band. It happens to Facefuck every other concert he attends. Bands know this and will play for chips and beer to get on the bill.  Slayer don't need that. Shitknot don't either. Nor Disturbed, Metallica, Rammstein, Maiden, Manson, Tool or the remnants of Pantera and GNR. Those bands can headline on their own at $70 and sell out arenas. Bad Religion can't. Neither can NOFX. Neither could Green Day or Weezer or Good Charlotte or Eminem or Sublime or Billy Idol when they played. People going to Warped care about 30% about bands and about 70% cuz it's just Warped and they wanna get outta the house.  

Aside from Ozzy getting too old to tour regularly, Ozzfest got sunk when they started trying to throw bigger co-headliners out every year. Instead of seeing the error in that, he just got more corporate sponsorship and continued with that plan. To me, it's a little surprising it's lasted this long
    Post edited by SATAN on
    Yeah i saw a comment saying that if Warped Tour was run like Mayhem that Sublime, Blink 182, and Offspring would have headlined every year since the early 2000s.
    It seems to me that if you don't want "fat, old, grey" people at your shows, you shouldn't cater to them as an audience
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    TRUMP said:
    itd sell like a tool show, yeah. hell id go and get hammered during guns n roses because they blow rectum and then get stereotypically rowdy during pantera. would have to take my shirt off and chug bud lites too.
    Lol/agree
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Kyfs satan
    inb4lists
    ... said:
    Kyfs satan
    ... said:
    Landbridge were so fucking good, holy shit