Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Castle fucking rules \m/
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Wouldn't mind seeing Castle, but yeah definitely would prefer MOTA.

How many times have you seen Intronaut?
    inb4lists
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Only once, when I saw them open for Mastodon in 2009. So I would really like to see 'em again, but if they ignore Prehistoricisms my butt will be hurt.
    They've been slowly extending their set the whole tour, the setlist In got was perfect imo, although I wouldn't have minded Elegy or Valley Of Smoke, but I'm not complaining.
    inb4lists
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    Fuck why did I read the last page and a 1/2

They've been slowly extending their set the whole tour, the setlist In got was perfect imo, although I wouldn't have minded Elegy or Valley Of Smoke, but I'm not complaining.

Almost perfect. You didn't get Nostalgic Echo
    True, but I'll take Prehistoricisms over it, both are are amazing songs.
    inb4lists
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Never seen Mastodon, so I'm not gonna complain about the setlist, but I hear you slap. That sucks.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    Rather they cancel like Behemoth did

• BlindGuardian93BlindGuardian93 Posts: 4,988 jayfacer
    edited June 2013
    I dont hate Mastodon but i dont get all the hype. I like a few songs mostly off Leviathan and Crack the Sky. Ive had a really hard time getting into them.
    I've been lost in endless seas My heart died long ago I curse my failures as I fall from you
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Random Valient Thorr tidbits from last week.

They couldn't sell tickets for shit. The passed out free 21+ tickets weeks before the show. We got there an hour after doors and the place was empty. There was a Zeppelin tribute band playing upstairs and they sounded pretty cool. Our show didn't start till right after the Zeppelin show ended. They let anybody from the show upstairs in free downstairs in a desperate attempt to sell drinks. It was really entertaining seeing people come in who had clearly never been to a club show before - Upstairs is significantly larger with a barrier where downstairs the stage is about mid shin. These guys were just rocking out so hard and taking pictures and posing with the band in the background. Then random older people wearing Zeppelin shirts like "What is this." It was fun though.

Ramming Speed - Vocalist is a tiny fucker, they kicked ass.

Other band - Played a Peace of Mind cover, kind of interesting.

Valient Thorr - Killed it although maybe not quite as cool as the first time I saw them and they didn't player Sleeper Awakes or Man Behind the Curtain aka the two big songs that I know. Still though you could not know a single song by this band and enjoy yourself. Guy whipped a pick at the end and I picked it up off the floor. Oh yeah and we took a group picture on the stage. No idea where it is or how to find it though.
    image Photobucket
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited June 2013
    Damn that sucks about the attendance. Though Saint Andrews hall did a pretty shitty job promoting it in the first place.
    Post edited by TiradesOfTruth on
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    I would have gone if I didn't have to work at 6 in the morning the following day lol.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Just recieved word from A friend at the High On Fire show tonight that he talked to Brann and they're changing up the set for Mayhem. Good news!
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    damn yea
    I love winning with women
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy

I mean I can jam to Spectelight and Black Tongue, but do they really need to play thickening? Hopefully they switch out that and the Sparrow for other tunes. Those two aren't really Mayem Fest friendly

'Thickening' is one of my favorites on 'The Hunter' :-S
    I like the song too but I don't feel it's a must play. Either way, I like all Mastodon, but over time my favorite Mastodon has become the fast, heavy and spastic that we see on the first three albums. The spacier stuff is cool too, but I prefer being beaten by unrelenting riff after unrelenting riff. Hopefully they pull more of that out for Mayhem Fest. I mean at least let nigga get some Blood & Thunder.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy

I mean at least let nigga get some Blood & Thunder.

\m/
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    I love The Hunter. I really don't care what they play. That setlist in 2011 was pretty close to perfect though.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    warped tour 2013
    6/27/13

went to the bank beforehand and took out $80 for a BDM shirt and gas/food for the flagstaff drive. traffic was the worst Ive ever seen it for any festival Ive been to. bumper to bumper started FOUR EXITS BEFORE THE ACTUAL EXIT. Id never seen it that bad here. that took an hour and some change. we parked finally but about a half mile from the venue. checked the temperature... 113. got there with my friend and we werent on the guestlist. there went 40 of that 80. all the while STYG is performing.

got in and found out we had missed the chariot and BDM went on late so we couldnt see them because we had to get my friends brother in flagstaff and were going to a show up there. so far that was three of the bands we were interested in watching being no gos. we progressively found out we wouldnt be able to see most of the bands of our interest. but as for the ones we did and other excursions,

letlive. - best band of the day. almost made up for missing the chariot. really wild set and Id heard good things about them live as well. caught a drumstick too. 8.5/10

aquabats - Im not familiar with their songs, but I wanted to watch because theyre a fun band. 8/10

??? - No idea who the fuck this was but I lol'd heartily(pictured)

Silverstein - sound was good, but I havent listened to them since high school. 6/10

Like Moths To Flames - one of the bands I most wanted to see, and they were pretty good as well. I think their last performance I saw was better. crowd got pretty rowdier than that one, though, which made it more fun. 8/10

August Burns Red - Only caught the last three songs of their set, but they sounded sorta cool in a live setting. I havent listened to a lot of their stuff but only because I havent been able to get into them that much. it always seemed to me that people who like AILD love ABR and vice versa, but I guess Im not one of those people. Ill still give their tunes a shot over the years. crowd was pretty wild for them as well. 8/10

The Ataris - we only stayed for a song before we had to hit the road, but I would have stayed to watch their whole set given the chance. theyve played some small venue shows around here before and after having to leave a song in, Id be interested in seeing them do a full set. first impression was that it sounded like a more pop punk LTJ. 7/10

bdm merch

the mystery band

I love winning with women