Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Tresspass was their first tour back [-X
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    I wrote the review on FB, just copy/pasted it here lol
    inb4lists

Tresspass was their first tour back [-X

First non shitty tour back"
    inb4lists
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Alex said:

What's with Savior being their biggest/one of their biggest songs now? It's not that good at all. It's just a generic Rise song.

Before it blew up as a single it was my favorite track on Appeal.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Purgatory Dance Party 5th Anniversary
    Polkadot Cadaver/Downtown Brown/Creature Feature/Garble Junk?/Something Involving a Monkey

First time hitting up Peabody's, not a bad place. Not a drive I'm as easily willing to make as I am for Detroit shows though. Aside from the pat where it's like an hour longer, it took $10 in tolls.

Something Involving a Monkey - Some interesting guys, bass player had a kazoo on his mic...and it wasn't a little thing that was used a couple times, it was a main feature in every song. Hard to explain, especially of this lack of sleep so yeah. 6/10 would see again

Garble Junk - These guys weren't listed anywhere so I didn't expect them. They had three acoustic guitars and an acoustic bass...Wouldn't have been a bad thing if all the songs were terribly boring. The most entertaining parts were the vocalist talking. 3/10 meh

Creature Feature - So I'd noticed a few people where some homosex steampunk goggles and shit.. I came to the conclusion that Creature Feature probably their main attraction. Band consisted of a guitar player, a drum machine and a dude on a keyboard. The music was almost catchy but really just sounded the same after awhile. The drum machine kind of made it boring too. They tried to make jokes about it but it just wasn't working. Like "And give a hand to our drummer...oh wait" 4.5/10 eh

Downtown Brown - Saw these guys open for Pyscostick earlier, and I enjoyed them then..but goddamn I would just love to see them headline. Definitely one of the most entertaining bands I've seen in awhile. I could be a thorough review and explain why their awesome and how good their music is....but I'll just say I thought they were great and give them a 9/10

Polkadot Cadaver - The moment I've been waiting a long ass time for. I've meant to see them two or three times in the past but haven't been able to make it. I knew coming into the show that they were celebrating Purgatory Dance Party, so I wasn't surprised to find out that they were playing all of the album. They bring out the setlist and I can see that it has two columns so right away I'm pumped. Pdot jump right out and blow everybody away, one of the most intense crowds I've been in this year, go figure. I'm sure it wasn't like LoG or something, but unless I was in seats I haven't been to anything but small club/bar shows. So basically this and Gojira are top roughest crowds. They played all of Purgatory Dance Party, three songs off Sex Offender, two El Creepo songs....and then one of the best surprises of the night two Dog Fashion Disco songs. They went on to say that the new album would be out in April, and that there's also another DFD reunion coming next year...of course in Maryland. Said it'll one El Creepo night and two DFD nights with 25 songs apiece, so it'd be cool to go. Finally seeing them at a show like this leads me to a 10/10 fucking awesome
    image Photobucket
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Alive or just breathing tour. Alrosa villa

This venue in Columbus is the one dimebag got killed at. I will admit it felt a little weird being there. This venue was awesome though. The owner was out getting people pumped and bringing black tooths to the bands mid set. The security even called the crowd out for not moshing enough during the first band.

Who the fuck is this? - they had a lot of energy I actually enjoyed them one of the better opening bands. Acaro said it was their first US tour. They are nothing real special but I bet ill see them opening bigger shows in the future.

That one band that has that one dude with dreads - I still hold to what I said about them other times vocals are not strong enough to match their sound. I thought they were alright. His hair got stuck in the ceiling and he flipped onto my head. What a dick. People seemed to enjoy them a lot. They just never sunk in with me.

Kse - what the fuck is this shit where is howard and why did they only play one good song in my curse. Fucking waste of my time..... holy shit jesse is so much better than howard live. The band has so much more energy now its amazing. Set was amazing. I can now mark somwthing off my off my bucket list.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    mrAPE said:

Kse - what the fuck is this shit where is howard and why did they only play one good song in my curse. Fucking waste of my time.....

Hahahaha.

Sounds like a great time, very cool that you got to be at the Villa.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker

imageimage
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    The KsE setlist was directly in front of me, but due to the large ammount of beer being thrown, it was drenched and ripped into several pieces.
    inb4lists
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,594 spicy boy
    how do you guys usually go about getting setlists?
    We interviewed Shadows Fall and Unearth so i asked Trvor/Brian to hand me one after the show lol :D

As for the others, if it's at a festival, usually the crew smash them into a bash and toss them, you just have to get a bouncer to grab it for you, or if it's in a club/venue, sometimes they'll throw them and you just try to catch it, but usually you need to be on the rail to get them, once the band is finished, ask someone from the crew/band who walks by to hand it to you, just don't sound demanding and they're usually happy to grab it for you.
    inb4lists
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    rexum420 said:

how do you guys usually go about getting setlists?

Ask
    I've grabbed a couple right off the stage as soon as the band is done. I had a crew member get me one, and I damn near got in a fight over a FFDP one that was thrown in the crowd. Fuckin' kid pissed me off, tried to take it from me after I had it lol
    edited December 2012

I've grabbed a couple right off the stage as soon as the band is done. I had a crew member get me one, and I damn near got in a fight over a FFDP one that was thrown in the crowd. Fuckin' kid pissed me off, tried to take it from me after I had it lol

I hate that, I'm still FUCKING PISSED at this big dude who basically ripped the Sleep setlist out of my hand at Scion :((
    inb4lists
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,594 spicy boy
    yeah thats what i figured....thats how i got my hatebreed one was by asking
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    I've tried that before with security. Some of them take their jobs way too seriously and won't even grab a pick for you off the floor that you can't reach thru the rail. Come on dude the band has left, the show is over, the audience has left....what's the big deal!?
    edited December 2012
    At Warped Tour after Rise To Remain finished, i asked the security guy to hand me the setlist, he said *it costs $5*, i just looked at him like "lol fuck that"

Also during Flogging Molly a week ago, the guy next to me got a drum stick, he was bumped into and accidentally dropped it over the rail, he asked the security guy to hand it to him, the security guy picks it up and throws it into the crowd and gave the guy next to me a "to fucking bad" look.
    inb4lists
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Fucking assholes - not many are like that. Most are great but he sounded like a complete twat
    wwoooooooooowwww

I mean I appreciate what the security guards do, but jesus christ it seems like some of them think they all of a sudden become hot shit with that uniform (and by uniform I mean a collard shirt with the word "staff" on the back).