Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Atr sounds pretty heavy live but the new songs suck
  • DreamtheaterDreamtheater Posts: 1,088 just the tip
    HOODS said:

Pointed at me at the end of their set and tossed me a pick \m/
    Didn't catch it but luckily I saw it when the lights went up and the security guy was bro about it. Also got one from atr bassist that night
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer

HOODS said:

Didn't catch it but luckily I saw it when the lights went up and the security guy was bro about it. Also got one from atr bassist that night
    One of Phil's picks went down the back of my shirt and an asshole that was behind me picked it out. I was pissed.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    well thats not creepy or anything..
    I know, right? #-o
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I would have done it :\">
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    To a strange girl then not give the pick to her because she technically caught it? Dick.
    where were you? i was on rail a bit left of center
    2nd row, left of center a bit. Right in front of a guy wearing all white.
    Why so mean britt?
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Writing a paper...so I'm a bit testy. I needed a ginger to take it out on.
    Fair enough
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Gaza -- San Jose, CA -- December 13th, 2012

Early show, started at 6:30. Got there a little after. First band had already started, to my surprise. And they were

Leer: Local San Jose/Santa Cruz band that labels themselves "skramz". Basically sounded like Piglet with some post-hardcore thrown in. Really liked it and I'm gonna keep my eye out for em. The whole band played on the floor, which was cool because you get close and there was less wait time for the next band.

Full of Hell: These guys literally sounded like hell. You can determine whether that's good or bad, but I didn't really dig it myself. The way the stage was set up, the drums were right on the edge, so the band was on there while the angry screaming man was on the floor. Hardcore dancers were in abundance during their set, which also made it less enjoyable. And when they were done the singer kept this stupid noise/drone thing going on for like 5 minutes. It was loud and obnoxious. Whatever

Gaza: Yeah, you read that right. Gaza went on first because Code Orange Kids were late. I didn't mind because I got the best set of the night sooner. Gaza really knew how to put on a show. They were full of energy, especially the singer, who was on the floor getting intimate with the crowd. Fewer hardcore dancers this time around, but every now and again one dickweed would start getting uppity and run and flail. Only happened two are three times yet I still managed to get hit straight on by one. Like full body collision, not hit in the face or nothing. Back to Gaza, super awesome, heavy riffs comin' at ya the whole set. When they took a brake between songs, the singer would spit dat knowledge. He even got an applause a couple of times. He's dat nigga. Awesome set.

Code Orange Kids: Another awesome band too. They finally had a good stage set up so the whole band was on the stage. Still couldn't get close though because the second they started, some asshole had to show off his dance moves. Either way, these guys were fun too. Really heavy through out the whole set. Tons of headbanging was done. Definitely a cool, young band that you should check out if you like the hardcore with a tint of sludge.

After the show I got the new COK on vinyl and a Gaza hoodie to mail to that nigga Alex because he asked so kindly.

Leer: 7.5/10
    Full of Hell: 4.5/10
    Gaza: 8.5/10
    Code Orange Kids: 8/10
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    edited December 2012
    I hope Gaza comes here soon
    inb4lists
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies

HOODS said:

One of Phil's picks went down the back of my shirt and an asshole that was behind me picked it out. I was pissed.
    Coulda been worse
    Coulda gone down your cleavage or down the back of your shorts?!
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Full of Hell kill. Cant wait to see them at MDF
    What kind of music would you label them as? Crust? They were definitely a step above hardcore punk.
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited December 2012
    Theyre hardcore in the vein of Nails, for a lack of better comparison.
    Post edited by jag on
    Ah. Not really into Nails either They definitely put in a lot of energy into their show, so I'm sure it'll be fun for those who appreciate that style of music.
    Has it really been this long since somebody posted in here? Sheeeiiitt

Gojira -- San Francisco, CA -- January 23rd, 2013

Got into the venue as The Atlas Moth started. I was really impressed by them. They play an interesting strain of sludge that incorporates post-rock and black metal too. Really awesome riffs and both vocalists were great. They were obviously stoked about touring with DTP and Gojira. The mix during their set was solid. I'll have to check 'em out later, because their material kicked major ass

It was obvious lots of people there were psyched to see Devin Townsend, and I was looking forward to the set. Prior to him going on they had tons of goofy pictures and videos displayed on the screen, as I would expect from Devy. But when the band finally got on, I can't really say I enjoyed the set much. The mix was terrible. The bass drum and samples were way to prevalent and I could barely hear the guitars. But at least the show was visually entertaining, because the stuff they had on the screen was cool, especially during Planet of the Apes when they had a little puppet Tommy Rogers singing his part in the song with a Great Misdirect back drop on the screen, I got a kick out of that. Devin also had some funny shit to say every now and again, but it got a little old with the whole "I know you guys all have a little nerd in you, teehee". I'm sure I could've enjoyed it more if the sound were better, but it wasn't so it was just kind of a waiting game from Gojira

Thanks to the dude I came with I got nice and close to the stage for Gojira and it got nuts. The second they started, people were pushing and shoving and the crowd was constantly moving. People were screaming along, and appreciating the band's playing in multiple ways. The sound was really good during their sets and I could hear just about everything with the plugs in. The three songs they played from From Mars To Sirius were brutal and that track they hashed out from The Link was fucking relentless. Those more my favorite moments of the set, but it was pretty solid through out. Only thing I would've changed was exchange the drum set for an actual song, maybe Ocean Planet... But after all was said and done, Gojira put on a really fun set full of great tunes.

The Atlas Moth: 7.5/10
    Devin Townsend Project: 6.5/10
    Gojira: 8.5/10