Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    :(

So not fair. Next year hopefully....
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    on my way back from the Tool show at the Toyota Center. Same show as last night. Crowd was fucking weak tonight compared to last night though. Still an awesome show. That is all.

Maynard quote of the night: "public service announcement. I'm engaged. So you chicks in the front row put your shirts back on. It's not gonna happen"
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited June 2010
    "I don't give a fuck how old he is. He sounds like a prepubescent MJ, oh wait...."

Hey Erik, Adam Carroll from your precious WARMOTHERFUCKINGBRINGER has a voice as high as mine.

Just thought I'd put that out there, "bitch boy"
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Boy, this show was great. I heard about this show a few days ago, and was really excited when I heard that High on Fire as well as thrash supergroup Dublin Death Patrol, who feature Zetro, Demmel, Billy, and a whole group of thrash veterans. To be perfectly honest, it wasn't the music that made this show amazing, it was the experience itself. During my drive through East Oakland, where I'm 90% sure I saw about 10 crack deals going down, I noticed that a big van was right behind me. I also noticed the person driving as the guitar tech who was talking to Matt right before their performance in April. I tried blaring Snakes for the Divine to get their attention, but I failed. Blasting metal in the ghetto doesn't really earn you points here.

I got there about half an hour before Dublin Death Patrol's set, but I found out there had been music all day (that van arrived just after me <_>). I recognized the person who I asked where to park as Zetro, but I didn't say anything. I then went inside the venue, which was a small ass studio, which seems to have been going through some tough times economically. I went inside and walked around, slowly realizing that this place has a whole bunch of history. Testament recorded and practiced there back when they were called Legacy, there was a Metallica poster signed by all four members (including Cliff) which were written out to the studio, and a whole slew of memorabilia from The Bay Area's thrash history. It's really quite sad that this place is in economic troubles.

I caught the end of Stone Vengeance's set, and I was fine without hearing more, twas meh at best. After a long break with serious sound check issues, all nine members of Dublin Death Patrol took the stage. They all seemed a bit cramped up there, but they all looked like they were having a great deal of fun. This marks the second time I've seen Zetro perform live and the guy still has it. He was really entertaining, even though he was trading lead vocals with Chuck Billy. They performed a lot of songs they wrote back in the 80's, and released them not too long ago in one album. I'd be lying if I said they were all just as good as their main projects, but they were some great B-Side sounding tracks. The part I enjoyed most about their set though, was the little stories they told between songs, such as "Yeah, we've known each other since we were little kids. Chuck's dad was our baseball coach, Phil's dad was our basketball coach, and we all raised hell with each other." All these guys grew up relatively close to me, and it was really heartwarming to see them all performing and having fun. Plus, how often do you see two of thrash's best vocalists perform with each other. They mentioned that all of the proceeds were going to help saving the studio. Apparently I had been suckered into going to see a benefit concert...but this really is a great cause, and I hope this history of the place can stay alive.

Well, fourth time seeing High on Fire, third this year, and they brought it like always. Okay, that sentence was really cliché, but I don't know how else to say it. It was the usual suspects in the set today, all of them performed with excellent precision. I think Matt was a little bothered by the lack of massive crowd reaction, but he said they were really happy to be playing for their home town again. Songs like Fury Whip and Rumors of War are must sees for any fan of sludge and stoner metal. I also would like to give the Riff of the Year...so far... award to Snakes for the Divine, jeez that's a fun riff. This little review seems short, but they were really fun.

The reality of the matter is, if I hadn't seen Iron Maiden a week ago, this would be the most fun experiences I've ever had with metal. I got to talk to briefly talk to Chuck Billy and Zetro, two idols of mine, and I got to see a whole bunch of musicians I love in a social situation. I saw Phil and Chuck laughing with a lot of audience members, and Zetro talking to all of his fans also. Matt Pike was a little reclusive, but earlier on I managed to let him know how big of a fan I am. It's shows like this that make me love metal. Underground, a whole shitload of people having fun, and some solid tunes to go along with it.

Dublin Death Patrol: 7/10
    High on Fire: 8/10

Best Moment: Snakes for the Divine
    Worst Moment: Beer spilled on me during High on Fire
    Awkwardest Moment: While taking a piss a guy knocked on the door and asked if anyone was in there, I said "yeah" then after I walked out I realize it was Chuck.
    Biggest regret: Not hunting down Phil Demmel and yelling at him until he reunites Vio-Lence
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    ^that never happened.
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Psh, beer gets spilled on everyone. <_>
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    true
    I remember when i went to go see kreator,
    some kid got beer spilled on him by a drunkard n his mom hella bitched at him.
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    edited June 2010
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "Awkwardest Moment: While taking a piss a guy knocked on the door and asked if anyone was in there, I said "yeah" then after I walked out I realize it was Chuck."

LAWL
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    "^that never happened."

Yeah...keep it on the dl.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    "Psh, beer gets spilled on everyone. <_>"

Yet you're the one who got uber pissed off when some guy kept pushing you when you were on the rail at a show.

Not true, and even if it was, that has nothing to do with beer....
    It is true stop your lying you told me that "I got real pissed at a show and had to step away from the rail". I asked you why and you said that you kept getting pushed while on the rail. So you saying that beer gets spilled on everyone it's not a big deal, well getting pushed while on the rail happens to everyone who is on the rail. *facepalm*

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    rail pussy <_>
    "Awkwardest Moment: While taking a piss a guy knocked on the door and asked if anyone was in there, I said "yeah" then after I walked out I realize it was Chuck."

LAWL"

Yeah, it was sorta weird...
    edited June 2010
    You weren't even there Ed, so hush. <_>
  • cannibiscorpsecannibiscorpse Posts: 5,577 salt miner
    edited June 2010
    @wine i couldn't tell when you used the word awkward
    Wow you suck at lying the next time you say some bullshit I'm going to take a screenshot of it. You know damn well what you said I didn't need to be at the concert for you to tell me that you got pissed at someguy cause he kept pushing you on the rail. *double facepalm*