Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    edited June 2010
    Because I thought Pestilence dropped off. lol
    I love winning with women
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    I was going to say "Thats great for not having a clue wtf you are talking about"

but then I forgot.
    image Photobucket
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    I have to miss the Fear Factory show tonight. *cries*
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    I'm hoping Warbringer will play just a bit longer than that next week..... <_>
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    It was more than that. I just don't remember the rest of the songs.
    Ah. I found it quite odd that Jackal and Living In A Whirlwind weren't on there....
    I think they opened with Jackal
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    They wouldn't open with Total War, I don't think...
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    The list isn't in order. I think they played it 3rd or something.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    AT THE CRACK OF DOOM

I hope they play that on the Nevermore tour this year and since they are direct support I'm hoping they get 45 min
    edited June 2010
    I'm excited to see them. Diamond Plate as well.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    yea, they REALLY need to play at the crack of doom. its their best song
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    ^It is their best.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    edited June 2010
    Well to try and get away from the sad mood in my thread, I'm gonna make this to hopefully cheer me up, because I really had a good time tonight.

She & Him - Royal Oak Theatre - 6/6/10 Sold Out

So I've made it quite obvious that I am a fan of Zooey Deschanel. I love her movies, but I also love her music. She has a great voice, and tonight seeing her live really made her sound better. Her voice just cant be captured on record.

The name of the opening band has really slipped my mind, but it was two sisters. For the most part it was just them two occasionally both playing guitars, but towards the end of their set they had the band, and Zooey come out and join them. They were also part of the band for She & Him during the tour, so they would be back up in a minute. They were both great singers, I just didn't know any of their material.

She & Him - I'm sure the music isn't for a lot of people here, because this is a metal forum for the most part...but I don't care. She & Him come onstage at 9. The band consists of M. Ward on electric guitar, Zooey singing, the two sisters that play various instruments such as the tamborine and triangle, little miraca looking egg and providing occasional backup vocals. Then these two guys would occasionally switch positions, but they mainly played bass, accoustic/another electric guitar, or keyboards or something else. There was also a drummer. Zooey was great and kept smiling and making jokes the entire time, you could tell she was having a good time. She almost knocked the mic stand into the crowd and then just started laughing. M. Ward would really sell his guitar playing by making the simplest things look hard. He is a good songwriter, singer and guitar player, and also a showman apparently. About halfway through the band left, leaving just Ward with an accoustic and Zooey. They played a few songs and the band came back. They had one of the coolest exits I have seen, as soon as she finished with the vocals, the band kept playing as they went off, and played another minute or two before finshing...and then the encore. This show was great because it took whats going on off my mind for awhile, and it was good to go to a non metal show again.

Setlist:

I Was Made for You
    Black Hole
    Thieves
    Lingering Still
    Me and You
    Sing
    Take It Back
    Home
    Sentimental Heart
    Change Is Hard
    I Thought I Saw Your Face Today (NRBQ Cover)
    Brand New Shoes
    You Turn Me On, I'm A Radio (Joni Mitchell Cover)
    Would You Like to Take a Walk? (Ella Fitzgerald Cover)
    You Really Got a Hold on Me (The Miracles Cover)
    Magic Trick (M. Ward Song)
    Gonna Get Along Without You Now (Skeeter Davis Cover)
    In the Sun
    Don't Look Back
    This Is Not A Test
    Riding In My Car
    Over It Over Again
    Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?
    Sweet Darlin'
    ----------
    Fools Rush In (Johnny Mercer cover)
    Roll Over Beethoven (Chuck Berry cover)

Post edited by Gazorpazorpfield on
    image Photobucket
    That's a lot of songs....and a lot of covers.
    edited June 2010
    You Really Got A Hold on Me
    I thought I Saw Your Face Today
    and
    Gonna Get Along Without You Now

Are all on either Volume I or II.

I was actually short a few songs, thats the actual set list.
    Post edited by Gazorpazorpfield on
    image Photobucket
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Heathen:

Intro
    Dying Season
    Control By Chaos
    Goblin's Blade
    Mercy is No Virtue
    Arrows of Agony
    Death By Hanging
    Open the Grave
    Hypnotized

Exodus:

The Ballad of Leonard and Charles
    Beyond the Pale
    Iconoclasm
    Piranha
    Downfall
    A Lesson in Violence
    Metal Command
    Fabulous Disaster
    Blacklist
    War Is My Shepherd
    The Sun Is My Destroyer
    Impaler
    Strike of the Beast
    -----DIO JAM--------
    Bonded by Blood
    Hell's Breath
    Toxic Waltz
    Good Riddance

Jesus Christ this show was amazing. I was sorta bored until Heathen hit the stage, but once they started Dying Season the whole place kicked up. I was in front of Altus the whole time and they all looked like they were having fun. The bassist Jon Torres also had a killer bass face the whole set, but also was rocking out the whole time. Frontman David White is a natural entertainer, and his vocals live were top notch. They suffered some terrible sound problems throughout the night, some mic feedback and briefly White left the stage to attend to something. Despite the sound problems they were fantastic. Heathen are exactly what every thrash metal band should aspire to be, especially in a live setting.

Now, there aren't many bands that could follow the show that Heathen just put on, but Exodus certainly are one of them. Opening with the first two tracks of the album, there was little lyrical assistance from the crowd, but you wouldn't have known that the song was brand new. Everyone was moving just like they were playing a hit from the 1980's. Robb Flynn came out and performed a song with them, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was. If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say Metal Command, but don't quote me on that. Exodus brought out some rare ones on this show, and if Setlist.fm is any indication, they didn't play a lot of them at the other two record release shows. Impaler, Hell's Breath, Good Riddance and Metal Command all took me by surprise. It might have been too much for me to hope Zetro came out during Toxic Waltz, but it didn't happen again. Either way though, Exodus tore Slim's apart, and I expect to see them thrash the Bay up again in the future.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    I hate you....but glad you had fun.
  • Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    what did the Dio jam consist of?