Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    we had to leave and miss Maiden and Sabbath.
    =))
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    11-13-11 -- Judas Priest -- Joe Louis Arena, Detroit Mi

After Thin Lizzy you could see all the bikers filling in the empty seats and you could tell BLS was coming on.

Black Label Society- Black Label Society have always pissed me off at time mostly because of Zakk Wylde. But I also like some of their songs. The crowd was actually pretty into them which surprised me. They played for awhile and then the rest of the band leave the stage and I knew that this solo was gonna be a long one. I took this opportunity to take a piss. So I do and get back to my seat and Zakk is still playing and this lasts for another 5 minutes. Come on he thinks he's a guitar god but he really isn't. Fuck him that's all I gotta say. Oh and stillborn sounded pretty good. 4/10

Crazy Horse
    Funeral Bell
    Bleed for Me
    Suicide Messiah
    Overlord
    Parade of the Dead
    Fire it Up
    Guitar Solo
    Godspeed Hell Bound
    Concrete Jungle
    Stillborn

• NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    skeletonwitch - badass band is badass, i love these guys and are what metal is supposed to be...played the 3 songs i really wanted to hear, beyond the permafrost, sacrifice to the slaughtergod, and within my blood.... 9.5/10

chimaira - there music is pretty shitty but kept me entertained for an hour, tons of stage lights and shit like that and they dont seem like assholes so 8/10

unearth - these doods were pretty cool, i really like the singer but if you dont listen to them on cd every song in cncert sounds exactly the same, they still were heavy as hell and are prob the best or top 3 metalcore bands out there 8.5/10

overall fun night, even tho the crowd was kinda dead....shows have been pretty empty lately im not liking it
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Glad you had fun. It was the opposite with crowds for me with between the buried and me I surprised that many people were there
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    I'd love to go see Chimaira again.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    yeah unearth kicks ass live
    Why did you only review BLS?
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Are chimaira and unearth rotating who closes the show?
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Why did you only review BLS?
    Look further up.
    Oh ok, that wasn't Rex's review. Got it now.
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    edited November 2011
    Exorbitance

So, last night was fun. Went to a local show to support a melodeth band that got stuck playing with a shitton of hardcore bands. One of the best locals I have every seen. The five of us were the only ones into their set so they gave us all their demos for free. Hung out with the band in the bard till like 1 and Susan ended up getting wasted since it was her birthday and right when we all were about to leave, the bartender surprised us with a cake. Once Alex wrestled the keys out of Susan's drunk ginger hands, we hit up a diner with the band...didn't get back to my apartment till 10am this morning.

This was the band:

http://www.facebook.com/Exorbitance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hvF8yHFQac
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
    Saw Judas Priest on the 9th.....awesome show, but Springfield crowds are fuckin lame....BLS was surprisingly good, and Thin Lizzy was not as horrid as I expected......Priest did a 2 1/2 hour set, pretty good for a bunch of old dudes.....Halford doesn't move around as well as he he used to, lol.......
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    edited November 2011
    So Korpiklaani was yesterday. It was awsome. Ima keep the review relatively short and sweet...

We got meet and greet tix, so I got to go back stage and meet Korpiklaani and get sigs and all that, so that was shweet.

the concert started with a surprise opener, local band Panzer. I haven't heard them before, but they were pretty good. Had a thrash/melodeath kinda sound.

Forged in Flame was awsome. Again, I went in not really knowing much by them. They play some pretty good stoner metal. Bought their EP there and got a bunch of free crap, and chatted with the band for a bit. Their singer was really cool, and I talked with him a few times during the night. He also pointed out to me that Korpiklaani's tech guy/ roadie was Admiral No-beard from Swashbuckle \m/

The Polkadot Cadaver was interesting to say the least. They put on a good show, and they got really good crowd response. Their music just wasnt much my thing. Was just weird and noisy IMO. i dunno, could maybe grow on me?

Arkona was frickin sick. Again great response from the crowd, was a blast to watch.

Korpiklaani was amazing. They had the biggest "folk pit?" i've ever seen... lotta people jigging or what not. They had a new violinist too. He looked really young compared to the rest of the band, but he earned his part. Was def a blast. My only problem was that they didnt play "Pine Woods", and that they ran out of XL shirts, so ima try n order a tour shirt. lol but i did get a patch.
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Panzer are awesome dudes/dudette. I would've gone just for them and Polkadot but I didn't feel like it.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Between the Buried and Me @ The Fillmore, 11-27-11

After ravaging through Amoeba records looking for used CDs, the gang(my pops, me, and 2 pals), headed on down to the legendary Fillmore. This was my first time there. So we get there about 6:45ish, thinking the doors open at 8:00, but it turns out that is when the show starts and doors open at 7:00 so by the we get there there is a pretty decent line outside the venue. This worried me because I wanted some of dat rail, but I ened pretty close(2nd row), so no big deal. We get in, and my dad decides to spend the evening up stairs, because he didn't want to deal with the stench that a thousand 15-25 year-olds emit. He's told me that that is the main thing that gets to him at shows. Not the shoving, not the crowd-surfers, but the smell. I don't blame him. While he was up there, he met a couple about his age at the show. They were visiting from Ohio, and wanted to go to The Fillmore, because it's a legendary venue, so they checked out about 1 minute of a BTBAM song, and decided to go,. Apperantly the 1 minute they caught online was a melodic part(I'm thinking it was probably Mirrors) so they had no clue BTBAM as a metal band. My dad informed of what BTBAM was, and that there were two openers who ere also Metal, and they didn't believe him until they pulled 'em up again on Youtube, and found out my dad was right. The promptly left the venue :)). So we were able to get some spots right behind the dudes on rail, then we waited for the show to begin.

Tesseract started off the night with some delivious 7-string tomfoolery. I wasn't looking forward to their set so much because of what I've heard from the new vocalist, but it wasn't that bad. Granted, he's not as good as Dan, but I was impressed with his abilities. There were some moments where I didn't like how he vocalized a certain part, growling where there was once singing and hitting high notes where they didn't really belong. But that's just his approach to the songs, and I respect that he takes it on his own way as opposed to trying to imitate Dan, because that wouldn't work. They played the same set they did when I saw them with Protest the Hero, and this time aroud the crowd was pretty into them. I went apeshit during Deception and The Impossible this time around too. GOD DAMN NIGGA, THOSE RIFFS. Also, something funny was that there was a middle-aged woman in the crowd singing her heart to every word during Tesseract's set. I thought it was lulzy.

Tesseract
    Intro
    Deception
    The Impossible
    Perfection
    Epiphany
    Origin
    April
    Acceptance

While Animals as Leaders was setting up, it was obvious that a lot of the people there were quite excited to see them. I have a feeling a fair amount of people were there for them. When Tosin came out to set up his shit, there were tons of shouts and screams, so I thought that their set would be pretty eneretic crowd-wise. It was not.

The cats in Animals as Leaders are great musicians. There's no way around it. So, naturally, I was looking forward to watching Tosin make that 8-string behemoth his bitch. And that he did. But the thing is, it their music isn't the most exciting. Even when Tosin has both hands on the neck, using all of his fingers to tap notes, the music is really relaxed and just really groove-based. A little too much at times. There were segments of their set where to be frank, I was a tad bored. Mainly the parts where they kind of sat on a chugging groove. The crowd was also kind of boring around this time, but that's probably because everybody was too busy watching Tosin wreck shop. The guys(Tosin, really) had some cool moments, but I don't find their music to be that entertaing, and they aren't as performers either. At least the light show was cool.

Animals as Leaders
    An Infinte Regression
    Tempting Time
    Song of Solomon
    Point to Point
    Isolated Incidents
    Thoroughly at Home
    Wave of Babies
    Cylindrical Sea
    CAFO

The time for BTBAM came upon us, and I was more than ready. The guys started the show with the mesmerizing Mirrors, to wich I sang along all of the words, then transitioned into the titan that is Obfuscation, to which I went ape-shit for. I kind of feel a little sorry for the dude in front of me, because I could tell he wasn't too fond of me pushing into him and shouting all the words like a madman while doing so, but fuck him, it's BTBAM and they're one of my favoties bands. They guys in BTBAM are all great musicians, and their set really showed all of 'em off. There were plenty of guitar solos, bass solos, and even a drum solo, which was awesome. The set also showcased all of Tommy Roger's vocal abilities, which are quite impressive if I do say so myself. He also had a great stage presence. Their set was really high energy, the crowd was really into it, it was just a really fun time. I loved the medley they threw together for this set, and I went crazy for the minte or so they played of Shevanel Cut A Flip. Hopefully I'll see the whole thing one day. Witnessing White Walls was also a spectacle. The guys ended the setnot only with Mordecai, but 50 push-ups from Black Richardson. #pushupswag. After the set I got a handshake with Dustie.

Between the Buried and Me
    Mirrors
    Obfuscation
    Foamborn (B): Decade of Statues
    Disease, Injury, Madness
    Specular Reflection(with drum solo)
    Old-stuff Medley
    Virdian =P~
    White Walls \m/
    --------
    Mordecai \m/ \m/

After that, we went to In-N-Out and I had a delicious milkshake. 'Twas chill.
    So you thought tesserect was awesome and animals as leaders was boring? Are you fucking kidding me!? All tesseract was was some breakdowns with clean vocals and terribly repetitive. I went in not knowing wither band and animals as leaders was far and away more entertaining.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Well that's just like, your opinion, man.
    Are you denying that the tesseract set was more than clean vocals over breakdown riffs?
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Aal > tesseract