Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    DevilDriver review coming up in a bit.
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited May 2011
    5-21-11 - Centennial Terrace - Sylvania, OH - Alice Cooper

Val Halla - hot chick going by the name Val Halla I saw last year open up for Ted Nugent at the same place. She got a little bit bigger, but she looked good with it. Her band was pretty good, which she kept making sure was not a band, but her band.
    imageAnd she could tear it up.

Alice Cooper - What's there to say about Alice Cooper that hasn't already been said? The man is indeed a showman, and after alllll these years that just by far outnumber me, he can still deliver day in and day out. He had three guitarists this time around, not sure it was necessary but they all added to the show. Came out playing The Black Widow wearing a jacket that had extra legs. Guy had about as many wardrobe changes as Lady Gaga by the way. For the most part, the set was a Greatest Hits kind of thing with the addition of a new song off his Welcome 2 My Nightmare album. The song called "I'll Bite Your Face Off" was pretty catchy and had an older sound to it than anything off his last album. As the song began he ran out with a jacket that had "NEW SONG" printed on it, and underneath a shirt that said "I'll Bite Your Face Off." I'm not a long review type of person, so I'll end it here. Amazing show that I wouldn't pass up.
    image Photobucket
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    5-21-11 - Harpos - Detroit Michigan - DevilDriver

So my brother, cousin, and I ventured from Bay City down to Detroit to see DevilDriver and an bunch of local bands to play at the world famous Harpos. This was my first "club show" and it was great. Doors opened at 5 and we arrived about ten minutes after doors opened as my brother and cousin went and got beer I got a table on the second level because I knew they wouldn't be down on the floor(pussies).

The first band that was up I didn't cathch the name of but they gad a generic groove metal sound with only about 30 people watching them which it looked like it was their fan club that was screaming at the top of their lungs. Towards the end of their set they tried to get a pit started but didn't work very well. 6/10

Next band up was Last Seen Dead. Their was a reason they were Last Seen Dead, they were a very horrible Deathcore band. This band had less people watching them then the first band. They played about 4 songs and 4 songs too many. 1/10

If my memory serves me right Full Strike Frenzy is up. This was the first band I went down on the floor for and it was fun. They sounded like Hatebreed and now alot of people were coming down from the bar and getting into the pit and it was one of the better pits I have been in with alot of huge 6'4 men in it. The sound was a little sketchy but it was a local band what do you expect. 7/10

Threat Level was the next band. I really didn't see why the crowd was into them they sounded like a Lamb Of God rip off with pantera riffs. I went up and bought some water and hung out with my cousin. 4/10

Medica is up and wow they sucked. So after about an 30 min. wait they came on and no one could hear the vocals. About 3 songs through Harpos turned back on Pantera and got huge cheers from the crowd. They looked pissed as they walked off stage. So I am guessing they were cut off and for good reason. I am not sure how to describe them i guess I would say somewhat of a Deathcore with a little of groove in. 2/10

Then a band that blew me away. Mine Enemies Fall came on after a 5 min. setup that's what I'm talking about. When they came out to very loud cheers. I got right into the pit for this Machine Head like band. The pit really started going as I got knocked on my ass a few times. It was a short 30 min. set but it was a great time. 8/10

The last local band was Soldiers Of Scrape. By this time my cousin made his way donw by me and actually went in the pit which is unlike him. As I watched these guys because I enjoyed their almost Death Metal sound he got nailed in the nose and came stumbling out. They had a very energized set. And their last song was entitled beer and I think I got hit with 3 cups of beer being thrown up. 8/10

Now is the reason we all came DevlDriver. AS I looked through the crowd I noticed it was a very rough crowd with only a few douche bags walking around. My cousin who has been here many times said this was one of the most crowded concerts at Harpos he has been to. They opened up with End Of The Line and the pit opened up and crowd surfing got going. One thing I haven't seen before are the stage divers I think I counted 5. As I got in the pit for Impending Disaster and Not All Who Wander Are Lost I lost my shoe and got my shirt ripped . DevilDriver played about an 1 30 min. set. It was a generic set but it was fun with songs like Head on to Heartache (Let Them Rot), Pray For Villions and You Make Me Sick. Then also the classics like Clouds Over California, Hold Back The Day, and Meet the Wretched. I don't remember all the songs they played but here are the ones I remember. 9.5/10

1.End Of The Line
    2.Impending Disaster
    3.Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    4.Dead To Right
    5.Clouds Over California
    6. Pray For Villions
    7.I Could Care Less
    8.Head on to Heartache (Let Them Rot)
    9.Hold Back the Day
    10.These Fighting Words
    11.You Make Me Sick
    12.Meet The Wretched
    Their was a few others I don't remember if I remember I will edit.Overall it was a very fun
    experience even though I lost a shoe. The staff is very laid back and fun. Even though it's in a rough part of town we had no problems at all. The merch was generic and I have seen the shirts before for about $20 when they were $25 there.
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Wish i could go to DD tomorrow :(
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Nice review Jay! Sounded like it was a lot of fun!
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    I'll review MMRBQ later. We left after Seether, skipped 3 Doors Down. Great show, cold and rainy, but fun.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I like Seger. I'd like to see him in concert.
    <_>
    My friend was really really sick (as in 'she should be in the hospital' sick) so we weren't sitting through 1 hour and 45 minutes of 3 Doors Down to see one song. It was really wet and cold.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    edited May 2011
    Well hopefully he'll tour again in the fall. :-bd
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    <_>
    My friend was really really sick (as in 'she should be in the hospital' sick) so we weren't sitting through 1 hour and 45 minutes of 3 Doors Down to see one song. It was really wet and cold.
    Well....that sucks. :/
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    he said hes done lol

<_>
    Well....that sucks. :/
    yeah, we wanted to get her to a show before she's permanently hospitalized.
    he said hes done lol

No, he hasn't. He said he hasn't decided whether he'll tour in the fall.