Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    ended up not going to En Vogue last night, so no review. wife wanted to see a movie instead :)
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    whatever happened to my En Vogue and Zebra appreciation thread? :-?
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    there will be no Zebra tonight also
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    Nolametal's Critically Acclaimed "the big gig" review

Red - got there late didnt see them
    Pop Evil - Too drunk, cant remember
    Hinder - too drunk, cant remember but i think i heard that get stoned song
    Seether - pretty fucking bad ass was in the pitz on the walkway above the seats all night...got all bruised up and shit but had a blast...they played heart shape box and the pit went nutzz....would see them again
    3 doors down - literally boring as fuck
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    Seeing Seether and 3 Doors Down tomorrow. Cannot wait for Seether. I hope we get a different Nirvana song.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    oh shit, apocalyptica played to i think lol but i didnt remember it much, i think i heard them play some metallica song...maybe
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    Why am I reading derp in the concert review thread? Take your horseshit somewhere else.

my review of 3 doors down's set last night.......

oh shit, apocalyptica played to i think lol but i didnt remember it much, i think i heard them play some metallica song...maybe
    Apocalyptica :X
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    im a little dissapointed i was to messed up to remember there set...but oh well life goes on
    im a little dissapointed i was to messed up to remember there set...but oh well life goes on
    They will come back. I'll have enough fun for both of us tomorrow during their set.
    >:D<
    haha ok , they sounded good from what i remembered >:D<
    haha ok , they sounded good from what i remembered >:D<
    The first time I saw them they were the only band playing in a tiny venue in Philly. Good shit there. We had found out about the show that morning. There were maybe 150 people there. :D
    Bob Seger was awesome. I'll formally write it up soon.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    edited May 2011
    5-21-11 - The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, MI - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

For some reason, I believed that I was never going to get to see Bob Seger. After all, he had been off the road since 2007 and I hadn't heard anything from him since. So when he announced a show in Detroit at the end of his headlining tour, I knew I had to go, since this may be the last chance I get to see him. What was one show quickly grew into three sold-out shows, with me lucking out with a seat in the 4th row for the final one. Needless to say, I was excited to finally see one of Detroit's legendary musicians at possibly his final hometown show.

I arrived in the parking lot at about 6, with the ticket indicating the show was to begin at 8. I chilled out in the parking lot with my stepdad for a while, blasting Seger's hits through the car stereo until about 7, when we decided to go in. I checked out the merch, and while there were a couple cool designs and the prices were about $5-10 cheaper than most big-name headlining acts, I passed this time. I arrived at my seat at 7:30 and waited there until 8, when the opening act came on stage.

Frankie Ballard - A country act from Battle Creek that will be releasing its debut album on Tuesday. I had never heard of them before, but the banjo they brought out for the first song was a dead giveaway. Put simply, they didn't appeal to me at all. I dislike a lot of country, and this group did nothing to separate themselves from the stuff I don't like. Frankie himself had some decent guitar chops, and the group as a whole was very energetic, but that's where the good things stop. A good portion of the crowd, the average age of which I would guess to be about twice my age, really dug them and were clapping their hands and dancing, and the cheers were somewhat loud. Their last song, which was "for the troops," as Frankie said, was a cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son. If you've read the lyrics to that song, you'll understand how I felt when they started playing it.

At first I was like:image
    But then I was like:image

Anyway, I didn't like it and I didn't like the band overall. I like that Seger was giving a local act a chance to make it big by letting them open for him, though. 5/10

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - At about 5 minutes past 9, the band, easily the biggest band I've seen on a rock concert stage, came out, followed shortly by the man himself, who grinned from ear to ear, threw his arms up in the air and went right into his hit Roll Me Away. It was evident immediately how much energy Seger had, as throughout the entire two-hour set he would move from one end of the stage to another, pumping his fists and grinning the whole time. He joins the ever-growing line of musicians I've seen (Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie James Dio, Ozzy Osbourne) who continue to amaze with the pure energy and passion they put into the music in spite of their age. And the music in Seger's case is absolutely timeless. Right out of the box, he covered 5 of his bigger hits, culminating with the classic Old Time Rock and Roll, which got the biggest crowd participation of all of them to that point for obvious reasons. A very soulful cover of Tom Waits's Downtown Train led to more rockers like Ramblin' Gamblin' Man and Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight before Seger retreated to the piano for Good For Me and, for the first time live, Days When The Rain Would Come. Before playing the latter, Seger joked that he would "completely kill the mood" with it, but it turned out to be a luscious and beautiful piano interlude before closing out the first half of the set with a mix of Travelin' Man and Beautiful Loser. After a 6-7 minute intermission, the band continued to pull out out great rock song after great rock song, starting with Nutbush City Limits and Come To Poppa. After 4 of those, Seger returned to the keyboards for two of his best songs, We've Got Tonight and Turn The Page, the latter of which was probably the highlight of the entire night for me. It was absolutely beautiful and chill-inspiring, from Alto Reed's seamless saxophone lines to Seger's subdued melody. They leaped right back into more upbeat songs after that, closing the main set with Sunspot Baby and the brilliant Katmandu. The entire band came up to the front of the stage and took a bow, but they would return for two encores, each a pair of Seger's biggest hits. The first one was especially awesome, transitioning from the calm, swaying acoustic Against The Wind to the infectious Hollywood Nights, with its great chorus. After another encore of the soft Night Moves and the strong hit Rock and Roll Never Forgets, the band said their farewells for perhaps the final time on a Detroit area stage. What impressed me about this show was not only Seger himself, but the entire ensemble that played with him. His band consists of two guitars, bass, drums, saxophone, trombone, two trumpets, and three female backup singers, all of which are solid, experienced players who clearly have excellent chemistry as an ensemble. And on top of that, there's the legendary Alto Reed, who proved to be the jack of all trades at the show. While saxophone was his primary instrument, as evidenced by his awe-inspiring work on Mainstreet, Turn The Page, and Katmandu, he also played maracas, tambourine, acoustic guitar, tympani, and flute. The guy was literally everywhere, and it was almost as entertaining seeing what Alto was doing on every song as it was watching Bob do his thing. Bob's children even joined in on the act for Tryin' To Live My Life Without You, with his son playing saxophone and his daughter joining in on backup vocals. This was a complete and stellar effort by Bob and his band, and if he chooses to leave the stage for good after this tour, he will do so knowing he put on a hell of a show for nearly 17,000 at the Palace that night. If he chooses to tour again in the fall, and I have no doubt a man with his kind of joy and vitality can, I will be back to catch this wonderful show all over again. 10/10

Setlist:

Roll Me Away
    Tryin' to Live My Life Without You
    The Fire Down Below
    Mainstreet
    Old Time Rock & Roll
    Downtown Train (Tom Waits cover)
    Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
    Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight
    Good For Me
    Days When The Rain Would Come
    Travelin' Man / Beautiful Loser