Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    everytime i guy crowd surfs i punch them in the balls
    when its a chick, i pull her hair out
    That's bogus as hell.

I could see if it was a stupid drunk or someone giving you a rough time, but you can't give people shit for having fun. If you can't handle people crowdsurfing, stay in the back.
    This. Omg when people mosh i totes trip them and if i ever, EVER see a motherucker headbanging i just straight punch them in the face.
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    edited May 2011
    On Sunday, Moreno, 37, phoned me from Detroit, MI., to discuss the tour, album, Cheng, influences and more. He even learned something new about his band in the process:

Q: How significant and rewarding is playing here for you guys in San Antonio and do you have anything special planned for the June 3rd show?
    A: Well, most definitely it is. San Antonio sticks out as being one of our favorite places. We have a lot of great friends and fans. This was one of the cities that gave us our chance and welcomed us with open arms. Me and the band will forever be grateful for giving us a chance when most didn't. As for something special planned, we have something in the works. I can't give you a straight up answer, but lets just say that we are going to play a special album in it's entirety along with a tweaked set list.

Q. Can you give us a hint as to what album you will be playing?
    A. I would love to tell you which, but I can't haha. Lets just say a color is involved. That's all I can say for now.

Q. So are you telling us that you will be playing White Pony in it's entirety?
    A. I don't know (smiles)

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! :O :O :O :O :O :O :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ I can't wait now. I SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh! and he learned that Fred Durst used his bands name in one of his songs lol. He said it was cool lol.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    around the fur > white pony
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    That's bogus as hell.

I could see if it was a stupid drunk or someone giving you a rough time, but you can't give people shit for having fun. If you can't handle people crowdsurfing, stay in the back.
    This. Omg when people mosh i totes trip them and if i ever, EVER see a motherucker headbanging i just straight punch them in the face.
    :-))
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    On Sunday, Moreno, 37, phoned me from Detroit, MI., to discuss the tour, album, Cheng, influences and more. He even learned something new about his band in the process:

Q: How significant and rewarding is playing here for you guys in San Antonio and do you have anything special planned for the June 3rd show?
    A: Well, most definitely it is. San Antonio sticks out as being one of our favorite places. We have a lot of great friends and fans. This was one of the cities that gave us our chance and welcomed us with open arms. Me and the band will forever be grateful for giving us a chance when most didn't. As for something special planned, we have something in the works. I can't give you a straight up answer, but lets just say that we are going to play a special album in it's entirety along with a tweaked set list.

Q. Can you give us a hint as to what album you will be playing?
    A. I would love to tell you which, but I can't haha. Lets just say a color is involved. That's all I can say for now.

A. I don't know (smiles)

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! :O :O :O :O :O :O :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ I can't wait now. I SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh! and he learned that Fred Durst used his bands name in one of his songs lol. He said it was cool lol.
    Sweet, though the setlist had 7 of 11 songs from the album anyway <_> lol
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    They already played Around The Fur here. So it's all good.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    This.

Although White Pony was still a great album.
    I love winning with women
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    On Sunday, Moreno, 37, phoned me from Detroit, MI.
    A. I don't know (smiles)
    How the fuck could they tell he was smiling over the phone?

nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    So, how's your sex life?
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    A. I don't know (smiles)

You couldnt wait to let me troll face could you. always have to ruin shit Brian.
    I'll answer that in two weeks :-bd
    A. I don't know (smiles)

You couldnt wait to let me troll face could you. always have to ruin shit Brian.
    :-bd
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    That's bogus as hell.

ok so we have to sacrifice the fun we want to have for other peoples' definition of fun? no. I don't think so.
    To be fair couldn't that argument go both ways?
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    edited May 2011
    4-30-11 - Blondies - Detroit, MI - Symphony X

By now, everyone knows that this was a tour that had great potential but completely fell apart in the months leading up to it. Soilwork dropped off due to their guitarist having back problems, and Nevermore suffered the loss of star guitarist Jeff Loomis, as well as their drummer. What remained was two younger guns in Powerglove and Blackguard supporting Symphony X. While the loss of decent to good support was disheartening, I never really considered not making it to this show. Symphony X boasts two of the best progressive metal albums ever in The Divine Wings of Tragedy and Paradise Lost, and considering how they hadn't been to Detroit in a good while, I was excited for the opportunity to see them in Detroit's best club venue. I got there at 8, an hour after doors opened, and found that Blackguard has already played. No big loss there, they tour so often that I'll probably end up seeing them on something else. Anyway, the second band started up just as I walked in.

Powerglove - The first thing I noticed when I walked in is how many people had actually decided to show up for this thing. Granted, I'm sure a few of them bought tickets way in advance and got stuck with them once the two big support bands dropped off, but still, it was the best turnout I had seen at Blondies since Kreator over a year ago. Anyway, in case you didn't get the memo, Powerglove is a completely instrumental band that makes their living off of playing video game music and making it metal. As cheesy and gimmicky as it is, however, they were quite entertaining. Each of them were wearing a suit of armor, and they had a couple of funny props on stage as well. The music doesn't need much explanation, but it was pretty sweet hearing some of my favorite video game themes in metal form. The crowd was really into it too, singing along when appropriate, pumping their fists, and even starting a couple of pits. I took advantage of one of the pits and used it to work my way up to the front for the second half of the set. The band threw out a couple of inflatable hammers and swords for Omnishred, which I thought was hilarious. Finally, Gotta Catch 'Em All was a blast to sing along to, as expected, and Mario Minor was badass as well. Overall, Powerglove is the silliest live band I've ever seen, and I mean that in the best way possible. Very entertaining throughout and if you don't take them seriously, you'll have a lot of fun with their set. 7/10

Setlist:

X-Men
    Storm Eagle
    Metal Kombat for the Mortal Man
    Omnishred (We're Gonna Need a Bigger Sword)
    Tetris
    Gotta Catch 'Em All
    Mario Minor

Symphony X - These guys from Jersey completely justified paying $30 to basically see just them. They opened up with Of Sins and Shadows, the opener on their masterpiece, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, and right away it was apparent how tight the band sounded. Michael Romeo's monstrous riff powered the song forward, but perfectly balanced by the bass of Michael Lepond and the drums of Jason Rullo, with Michael Pinnella adding color on the keyboards. Russell Allen's range was evident immediately, as he went from a lower growl in the verse to a higher wail in the chorus without any signs of strain at all. The "I'm betrayed, slowly fade...." lines, where all members of the band sing in unison, was chilling and was one of the many high points of a perfect opening song. Domination opens with a sexy bass intro from Lepond and features all members of the band showing off their virtuosity at some point, with Romeo unleashing one of his great solos and a couple of great instrumental breaks sprinkled throughout. Serpent's Kiss, their single from Paradise Lost, followed, and while it was one of the weaker songs on the night, it featured all the elements of a good Symphony X song in a great riff from Romeo and soaring vocals from Allen in the chorus. One of the new songs, The End of Innocence, was next, and it featured another killer riff and solo from Romeo as well as some cool keyboard stuff. After this song, Allen took a moment to address the crowd, at which point he noticed a sign from a guy asking him to sign his tits, to which he replied, "My tits are bigger than yours, man!" It was pretty lulzy, and he actually complied after their set. At that point, however, the band went into Paradise Lost, which is probably my favorite Symphony X song at the moment. It's absolutely gorgeous, and it did not disappoint me live. Russell took front stage for most of this song, and he nailed everything. Singing along to that chorus was the highlight of the night at that point. Smoke and Mirrors was one of the songs I wasn't familiar with going in, but it fit into the set nicely, with an awesome keyboard intro to boot. The band delved back into Paradise Lost to close with the main set with Eve of Seduction and Set The World On Fire, sandwiching a new song, Dehumanized, in between. The new song was a little different than what one might expect from the band, but it has the unmistakable elements of a Symphony X song, so I am very optimistic of how the new album is going to sound at this point. Eve and Set The World On Fire both crushed live, as expected, with the former featuring a great chorus from Russell and the latter packed with awesome thrashy riffs. After a short break, Russell thanked all of us for coming out to see them in spite of Nevermore and Soilwork dropping off and explained that after they dropped, the band prepared a special song, which had previously taken them months to perfect, in only a couple days. That song was the 24-minute-long epic The Odyssey, and oh, how epic it was. The opening orchestration gave me chills, and everything, from the subdued acoustic parts to the fast and technical parts, was executed beautifully by all members of the band. At no point did I lose interest in the music; this one gripped me from beginning to end, and when it finished, I knew I had seen something really special. Perhaps the only epic I could see topping this performance would be RUSH performing the entire song 2112 live, but for now, this song stands in a league of its own in terms of live performances. As they left the stage, Allen stated the band would return in the fall to support their upcoming album, Iconoclast. Hopefully they will find more reliable support for that one, but if not, Symphony X alone is worth the price of admission, however steep. 90 minutes of brilliance. 10/10

Setlist:

Of Sins and Shadows
    Domination
    Serpent's Kiss
    The End of Innocence (new song)
    Paradise Lost
    Smoke and Mirrors
    Eve of Seduction
    Dehumanized (new song)
    Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
    ------------------------------------
    The Odyssey
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    edited May 2011
    Awesome,
    cant wait til this sunday. \m/
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    That's bogus as hell.

ok so we have to sacrifice the fun we want to have for other peoples' definition of fun? no. I don't think so.
    though that's true, my version of fun in this case isn't hurting anyone.
    I'm not saying I can't and won't deal with it, I'm just saying that logic is stupid.
    Understandable.

However, crowdsurfing has been around for a long time and is acceptable at concerts. Getting punched in the balls or getting your hair pulled for doing it is not.

It's kind of like people bitching about audience members singing along to songs. While it can be annoying if the person is obnoxious, everyone's just there for a good time.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    "However, crowdsurfing has been around for a long time and is acceptable at concerts. Getting punched in the balls or getting your hair pulled for doing it is not. "

Exactly. I will fuck someone up if they do that to me
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    That's bogus as hell.

though that's true, my version of fun in this case isn't hurting anyone.
    I'm not saying I can't and won't deal with it, I'm just saying that logic is stupid.
    Understandable.

However, crowdsurfing has been around for a long time and is acceptable at concerts. Getting punched in the balls or getting your hair pulled for doing it is not.

It's kind of like people bitching about audience members singing along to songs. While it can be annoying if the person is obnoxious, everyone's just there for a good time.
    but fat people hurt you when the fall on you...
    fat people singing dont hurt you physically
    imageimage
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Obviously I don't know either Bianca or Alex. It's comments like this though that makes me think their dream-relationship will crumble. has the trip already happened?