Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Concert Review Thread

Comments

• ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    also shit on maria brink all you want but Jeff Fabb is a really good drummer who's talents go far beyond what he does in ITM
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Lies
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    Lies
    burden of proof is on you broski, show me where i said ITM is a great band.
    Proof is I am bored trying to finish out this 12 hour work shift
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    For once I agree with Shane on a band. <_>
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Nickelback is showing up in your last.fm. Your statement is invalid.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    You like ITM?
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    Lol at last few posts

Nickelback is showing up in your last.fm. Your statement is invalid.
    last.fm radio is a bitch.
    You like ITM?
    No, they suck, but so does ASP.
    Don't forget rush jl
    I'm seeing Rush in one month from today. I'm so excited. :D
    You just can't hide it?
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    "last.fm radio is a bitch."

This

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Skillet @Tempe Beach Park
    3/20/11

Free show... the only reason why I went. I've got a really bad heel because I fell down the stairs yesterday, so I'm walking with a pretty bad limp. I got there probably three songs into their set and just stood in the back. Moved up to the mosh pit (not smart, I know), and got in there bouncing on one leg. Stayed up at the front and actually got the setlist. Not a terrible show I guess, but I'm still not a fan. They had some cool pyrotechnics, though! 7/10

Best photos I got:

{Upload|5859}
    {Upload|5860}
    {Upload|5861}
    {Upload|5862}
    I love winning with women
    Haters gonna hate =;
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    my shitty half ass review cause I to leepy to make a long one.

Whitechapel's: Welcome To The Hell Tour @The White Rabbit in San Antonio, Texas

We got there around 5:30pm and had to wait in line since we had no tickets to the show yet. Was all good though since we got in, but missed I Declare War which didn't bother me at all. After about an hour and a half or so we finally paid and made our way into the venue. Place was packed as hell and made it in before they cut the line and declared it a sell out show. So that made me pretty happy :D We went straight to the merch booth to see what they had. They had some pretty good merch there I must say. I bought me a tour shirt and off to the pizza shop we went. Hadn't eaten all day so we missed Chelsea Grin and all of Viel of Maya or whatever their name is.

Well I lied we caught like the last 2 songs of them. They were meh <_> nothing special at all, but their guitarist seemed pretty good from what I heard. They finished and everyone started making their way out of the club. Me and Leah headed in to get a good spot to see The Acacia Strain since they were the next band up. They brought it hard and the place went insane. Stage divers galore with most pits and crowd surfers. Lead singer kept praising and praising after every song about how amazing we were and how insane we were. Then after all his kiss assery they finished up and got off. I headed out to get some water and hydrate myself for Whitechapel. Soaked in sweat from head to waist and on top of that I am sick so it makes it worse.

Band of the night!

Whitchapel took the stage at 9:45 and exploded into Devolver and the place exploded. Same thing like TAS but 100% more energy and crazyness. Everyone jumping,singing, moshing, crowd surfing, stage diving, taking the mic from Phil and singing in it. It was all around chaos and violence. Possession came on and the energy stepped up ten fold and there wasn't a moment where you were not moving. You had 2 options after that. GTFO or move and join to survive. Phil's vocals were spot on and great. The dude just keeps improving on them more and more. They played Darkest Days of Man and then into Reprogrammed To Hate. Phil did the vocal spot that Chino(Deftones lead singer) does. Did a good job, but couldn't hit it like Chino can. After about 4 more songs into that I had to get out. I felt like shit and needed to hydrate again. Being sick sucks :\ sat out on the benches and hydrated for a bit and then went back in. They ended it with This Is Exile and of course the Wall of Death.

Whitechapel set list:

Devolver
    Breeding Violence
    Possession
    The Darkest Day of Man
    Reprogrammed to Hate
    Prostatic Fluid Asphyxiation
    End of Flesh
    Unnerving
    Death Becomes Him
    Vicer Exciser
    Eternal Refuge
    Murder Sermon
    Single File to Dehumanization

Encore:
    Of Legions
    This is Exile

Overall was a great show and the crowd was insane. I know I am missing a lot of shit and idc. night <_>

shitty pics I took:

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

• SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    I wish I could have gone but I chose Dying Fetus over Whitechapel because I already had 5 shows I was going to that month and 2 in one week twice in a month would have been crazy for my parents lol
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    Okay well I waited to do this review in hopes of Marc getting some feedback, but I think I've waited long enough, lol.

South By So What?! Fest is Dallas TX - March 19th, 2011

Got to the venue just after 11AM and saw the longest line in my damn life, jesus christ there were a lot of people there. Doors opened right as I picked up my will-call ticket so I decided to just stay at the front and walked right in. The show had two stages running, so I realized I was gonna have to skip a few bands I had planned on seeing, ended up not being as big of a deal as I thought it would be though. Lots of bands I've never heard of opened the show so I'll start with the first band I actually wanted to see and go from there. I saw a lot of bands there, so might as well get this started now.

Upon A Burning Body - The show was a couple hours in when these guys started at like 1:15 in the afternoon. Holy shit the crowd was hot as hell for them, which would be a running theme throughout the day. Their mafia outfits are friggin awesome, and their sound was spot on. Couldn't believe how fun this band was, such an intense half hour and it deff got me excited for the rest of the day. 8.25/10

Evergreen Terrace - Had never seen this band before and realized from the start that I had really been missing out. They come off to be as being a more hardcore influenced band than the rest of the groups at this show, and to be honest I'm usually not a big fan of that but for some reason I got instantly hooked. Can't believe that I've never really given them a good listen before, that will be changing very soon I promise. 8/10

Chelsea Grin - Okay haters gonna hate (and for good reason) but I actually enjoyed this band quite a bit. I like deathcore a lot though, so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that I'm entertained by something as simple as a gratuitous use of breakdowns and Oceano vocals. 7.5/10

Miss May I - Yet another band I've never seen before and really enjoyed. Great stage presence and a really good performance overall. Can't wait to see these guys again in the future. 7.5/10

iwrestledabearonce - Finally seeing this band again for the first time in over a year and a half so I had no choice but to make my way up to the front. The wait was well worth it because this band brought it in every way I had expected. Great sound, goofy stage antics, and even a new song! It should also be noted how relieved I was to see actual mosh pits closer to the front instead of the typical gay ninja pits that usually completely infest shows like these. One of my favorite live bands for sure, if you ever have the chance I suggest you see them!! 9/10

Veil Of Maya - 4th time seeing this band and they never seem to disappoint. I must say Marc is out of his damn mind for saying this band is "meh", seriously. They sound just as amazing as they do on their albums, truly one band I wouldn't ever get tired of seeing. Oh and btw Marc, I saw this band and skipped Whitechapel, so suck it. 8/10

The Acacia Strain - Another band I haven't seen in a long long time and was so excited to finally see again. Made my way back up to the front and just went insane with everyone else during their set, I remember why Vincent scared me so much the first time I saw them back in 2008, he's such a violent person on stage, lol. Oh and not to mention he dedicated "JFC" to all "the Atheists, Agnostics, and anyone else who just genuinely hates organized religion", and I will admit I sure loved hearing that. Will be seeing these guys again on Warped Tour for sure. 8.5/10

Chiodos - Okay, if you like this band you'll prolly be entertained by them live, but alas I don't like this band at all except for 1 song. Singer takes himself far too seriously and the music is just meh at best. 2nd time having to be put through this band and hopefully it's the last. 3/10

The Faceless - The least "core"-ish band on the show which thankfully kept most of the ninjas from dancing. Such an incredible live band though, just everything about their performance was spot on. I will admit they aren't a band I listen to all that often but I try not to miss them whenever they come around. Don't really know what else to say other than you just have to see them live. Oh and they did play a new song, can't wait for the album!! 8/10

Of Mice & Men - Went over to the second stage to catch AAL and got stuck with this band because the stage was running so far behind. I actually didn't hate them though, that was surprising. They sound different live than I would have expected them to which in this case was a good thing. It should be noted that Carlile sounded like shit but he did mention he was sick and it was certainly noticeable in his voice. I actually wouldn't mind seeing these guys again with a healthier Austin. 6.5/10

The Word Alive - Another band I got to see thanks to this stage being so far behind and I was pretty excited to finally be able to see this band live. They sounded great with people jumping all over the place on stage so it did make their performance fun to watch as well as listen to. Nothing spectacular about this group but they did put on a very solid set. 7/10

Animals As Leaders - Words cannot even describe what this band is like in a live setting. Tosin is a friggin monster on the guitar and thats not to take away how good the other two members are. Once again you have to see them live to really understand what I'm talking about because these guys are incredible. 8.5/10

Enter Shikari - I wont lie this was the band I had been looking forward to the most and they certainly delivered. Such an awesome blend of electronic music infused with metalcore/post-hardcore and as bad as that sounds they really make it work. The dubsteb intro into "Motherless" was amazing and who knew a crowd would go so damn wild for all the electronic pieces in their songs. It was fairly rough up at the front but I stayed up there for the entire hour they played because this group really knows how to hold your attention for the whole time they're up there, or at least in my case they do. I also love how positive these guys are on stage because I don't really consider myself a negative person, so it's cool seeing a band that doesn't have the cliche "we hate the world" message. Overall a great set that ran so long it also made me miss Asking Alexandria (who was headlining the main stage that night), which made me even more thrilled. 9/10

Bands I was forced to skip or just didn't care to see include Whitechapel, Emmure, Abandon All Ships, Asking Alexandria, Woe Is Me, Dance Gavin Dance, I Set My Friends On Fire and a few others. It may have been a total scene fest but I still really enjoyed my time there.
    Iwrestledabearonce would have easily stole that show for me