Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What. The. Fuck. is going on????

Comments

• Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I know what you are trying to say, but what I'm saying is there really isn't much of a payoff right now. Yes Folk metal has taken off a bit in the past couple of years, but it's not like anybody is booking any of those bands for Mayhem, or anything like that because the popularity just isn't there. Those bands are lucky if they can fill a small club. I know you are trying to discredit Folk Metal (because you make it known about every 5 posts how much you hate it), by comparing it to Nu-metal, but I don't think there is any comparison at all. Nu-metal, metalcore, and deathcore all had major mainstream popularity, whereas folk metal never did.
    edited February 2012
    holy christ triple post fail
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    well i think that is because nu metal is more mainstream accessible than folk metal ( theyre are more tough douches lookin to get laid by listening to heavy music than little nerd lotr fans) but my main point was that the formula is the same..you really cant see it?? i mean how different is one folk band from another? the really popular ones" not much difference at all..its a simple formula that was played out in other genres of metal too.. basically a couple bands invent a sound and then there are 50 bands that come along that sound like that initial band.. but you would think to the metal fan that the only genres that have unoriginality are nu metal and grunge, please
    You can say the same about any metal genre doe
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Nola, I am proud
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    i avoid most bands that fit nicely in a genre because most of them are boring. the bands that i really love tend to cross lines
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    zombie is not really nu metal, just kinda fits in a little, but SOAD is most certainly nu metal no doubt about it
    No they arent. But I'll listen to why you think they are, and the time of their popularity isnt a valid excuse. So explain to me why SOAD is like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn, etc...
    i avoid most bands that fit nicely in a genre because most of them are boring. the bands that i really love tend to cross lines
    see i can respect this, but i just feel sometimes that in metal more than any other type of music you have to fit like this mold of what is good metal and what is bad metal and i truly dont think some people even try to look at in an individual way and just sort of go with the grain. they think these metal bands are pretty much respected by all real metal so if i want credibility i should try and like them more than these other bands that have less credibilty.. imo thats not much better than the average nu metal fan.. obv im not saying this is u satan just making a point
    but stoner/sludge metal is far more of a "scene" these days than Folk metal if you think about it.
    zombie is not really nu metal, just kinda fits in a little, but SOAD is most certainly nu metal no doubt about it
    No they arent. But I'll listen to why you think they are, and the time of their popularity isnt a valid excuse. So explain to me why SOAD is like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn, etc...
    dood toxicity is very nu metal if you cant see that i dont know what to tell you. there seft titled first album i would say is not very nu metal all and if they stuck to that route their entire career then i would never had called them nu metal but they def went into the 'trendy' pathway after there first album, imo due to daron being a famefag

but stoner/sludge metal is far more of a "scene" these days than Folk metal if you think about it.
    nah i dont agree with that
    nah i dont agree with that
    It has exactly what you are talking about doe. The same exact formula. Bands seeing trends that are working and jumping on it. FTR, I'm not really saying it is a "scene", but it's more of a scene than Folk due to the popularity of Mastodon, Baroness, Red Fang, High on Fire, etc. Not to mention Americans tend to be way bigger trend followers than Europeans.
    I agree about daron being a famefag and toxicity being more radio/mtv friendly....

I don't see the characteristics of toxicity that deserve to give them the label of Nu Metal. To be clear Nu Metal is a fuse between hiphop and metal. I don't even get a hint of that with SOAD. I don't know where I'd really label them so I typically just consider the metal/rock with a hint of punk.
    i could give you that part of your statemnt is true, i mean both folk metal and stoner sludge could be considered scenes in todays metal, i would like to think theyre pretty similar in size and in momentum.. the big difference to me is i believe the stoner/ sludge bands are wayy more original than the folk bands..i mean look at the two big name bands in each genre..Mastodon has changed album to album quite significantly where as korplikaani or however the fukk u spell it literally puts out the same album album year after year.. i guess you could say there both scenes tho, only strictly in the metal community
    Idk if SOAD is really nu-metal I think they are more alternative metal-ish, I guess, but I kinda hate that word.
    I agree about daron being a famefag and toxicity being more radio/mtv friendly....

I don't see the characteristics of toxicity that deserve to give them the label of Nu Metal. To be clear Nu Metal is a fuse between hiphop and metal. I don't even get a hint of that with SOAD. I don't know where I'd really label them so I typically just consider the metal/rock with a hint of punk.
    the problem is nu metal doesnt really have a definition.. i mean toxicitys whol album was done in at least drop D prob even drop c... the riffs imo went from original to more syplistic and cruchier.. idk theyre is def no rap influence but if you compare the singing style of jonathon davis to serj its pretty similar alot of times.. nu metal is just to loose of a definition and its just to easy to fit SOAD in that category imo then invent a brand new category of music
    edited February 2012
    i could give you that part of your statemnt is true, i mean both folk metal and stoner sludge could be considered scenes in todays metal, i would like to think theyre pretty similar in size and in momentum.. the big difference to me is i believe the stoner/ sludge bands are wayy more original than the folk bands..i mean look at the two big name bands in each genre..Mastodon has changed album to album quite significantly where as korplikaani or however the fukk u spell it literally puts out the same album album year after year.. i guess you could say there both scenes tho, only strictly in the metal community
    It really just comes down to personal preference and you hate folk, but love stoner/sludge. I like some bands in both genres but neither is my favorite genre by far.
    I thought Nu Metal's definition was pretty well known. "It is a fusion genre which combines elements of heavy metal with other genres, including grunge and hip hop. The genre gained mainstream success in the late 1990s and early 2000s."

It's that fusion of hiphop and metal that makes then Nu Metal. I'd even snag some pre-90's bands to put in this group. Like Beastie Boys is probably the first Nu Metal band/group IMHO. Rage Against the Machine was probably the next biggest... Then you had that mass slew of Nu Metal bands that hit in the late 90's. Limb Bizkit, Korn, Puddle of Mud, Linkin Park, POD, etc...

Yeah SOAD hit in the late 90's, I personally dont consider them Nu Metal. I might be inclined to include them in alternative metal (like CF said) however dont know if they really fit there either.
    for what it's worth, i think stoner metal is definitely trendy now. once i heard red fang, i pretty much decided to quit paying attention to the genre. i still listen to older stuff, but a lot of newer bands are bandwagoning. i feel the same way about nu-thrash. ever since i heard toxic holocaust, i've been sour on the genre.
    i don't mind calling soad nu metal. i've always associated nu metal with alternative metal since almost all of them are a varient of metal (rap metal, industrial metal, etc). i don't revile the entire genre, just most of it. the ratms and tools and rob zombies and soads and deftones of the world give it a good name, but they're in the minority. post-limp bizkit, a lot of shit came out calling itself metal that was just mallrat bullshit with tons of big label money behind them, forcing them down everyone's throats. i have no idea how people stomach linkin park or disturd or anything like that. shits poseur music