Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

9/11

Comments

• GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    I get where you're coming, I just thought you meant everyone is supposed to where the american flag on their shoulder all day every day. Some people over do it on 9/11 and play as the great patriot and then forget about it the next day.

On another note, yesterday was really the first time I heard it kid ask what 9/11 was.
    image Photobucket
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,593 spicy boy
    As a person who considers themselves a member of a 9/11 family, it really bothers me that there is a lot of single day patriotism today.
    I know this will come off as something tasteless and horrible, but to me this comes off in a hipster sense of attitude.
    I guess, but it just bothers me that these are the same people who are going to work or school today as if being so solemn about yesterday makes them a good person. It doesn't work like that.

it is of my opinion that everyone who was at least a teenager and can remember the effect it had on every single one of us is a memeber of the 9/11 family, maybe we didn't lose someone that day, but it effected every single one of us in a tremendous way ....i don't celebrate our independence every day...i don't think about the memebers of WW 1 or WW2 that lost there lives every single day....and no i don't think about 9/11 every single day...but every 9/11 i take time to during the weekend/week to watch the history channel and remember everything that happened that day...i don't see the way everyone handles it as 'single day patriotism" as much as i see it as there trying to show appreciation to all the heros of that day

• drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    it is of my opinion that everyone who was at least a teenager and can remember the effect it had on every single one of us is a memeber of the 9/11 family, maybe we didn't lose someone that day, but it effected every single one of us in a tremendous way ....i don't celebrate our independence every day...i don't think about the memebers of WW 1 or WW2 that lost there lives every single day....and no i don't think about 9/11 every single day...but every 9/11 i take time to during the weekend/week to watch the history channel and remember everything that happened that day...i don't see the way everyone handles it as 'single day patriotism" as much as i see it as there trying to show appreciation to all the heros of that day
    I'm not asking you to celebrate every day, I'm not asking you to be all gung ho about your country 24/7, because I sure as hell am not. I'm asking you not to think that just being super patriotic on 9/11 makes you anything. It's not a good thing to be any more patriotic on 9/11 than any other day, but people go in with the attitude of it being beneficial to them. If people see that I'm shedding a tear during the national anthem on 9/11, maybe they'll respect me more. Nothing bothers me more than media pandering to the public on 9/11 or the 4th of July with exception to people acting as if it's anything other than a normal day. I think about 9/11 literally every single day, and I had a lot of things that were important to me in those towers. Go ahead and show your appreciation, that's just fine, but don't think for a second that it's something that ought to be done or makes anyone anything more than they were the day before. It's proven by people getting up and going to their 9-5 jobs on 9/12 just like they did on the previous Friday.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    i understand what you are saying better now....im curious tho...who all did you know in the towers?
    i understand what you are saying better now....im curious tho...who all did you know in the towers?
    My dad survived physically but hasn't been the same psychologically since. I had a ton of acquaintances that I knew but I wouldn't really say they were friends, I just knew them all through my Dad's business and they got to know me when I was a kid. I think about it every day though in the context of if my Dad had not gotten out, my life would have been obliterated. I probably wouldn't be going to college, I probably wouldn't have been able to school for as long as I did, and I wouldn't have had a Dad for the rest of my life. It's very troubling watching my Dad exhibit all of these PTSD symptoms and problems since the attacks though, and something I don't wish upon anyone.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    its a shame that people don't use 9/11 to understand why we brought the attack on ourselves. instead they use it as motivation to further fuel the hatred that got us there.
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    its a shame that people don't use 9/11 to understand why we brought the attack on ourselves. instead they use it as motivation to further fuel the hatred that got us there.
    I agree with this to an extent. While I don't think it's quite fair to use people's deaths as an example, we definitely need to cut the bullshit "those damn Islamic fascists are trying to steal my freedom" mentality and try to improve as a country.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
    It all begins with your media...
    what floor was your dads offices on?
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited September 2011
    I agree with this to an extent. While I don't think it's quite fair to use people's deaths as an example, we definitely need to cut the bullshit "those damn Islamic fascists are trying to steal my freedom" mentality and try to improve as a country.
    absolutely correct. i posted this on my facebook yesterday, Bin Laden's own words.

Osama Bin Laden: What about the people that have been killed in our lands for decades? Who is the one that said our children and our civilians are not innocent and that their blood is permissible? more than 1,000,000 children... more than 1,000,000 children died in iraq and are still dying.

In 1998 President Clinton conducted bombing campaigns in Iraq, Afghanistan and Sudan killing thousands of civilians. Is it any surprise after committing an illegal act of war that those we did it to want revenge? When you remember 9/11 also remember why it happened.'

Now i'm not sure if i would take the position of sympathizing with him but i completely understand his point of view and why they hate us
    103 - Aon Risk Services
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    edited September 2011
    i associate with 9/11 for a different reason but if that situation never happened, i cant say i would treat that day any different than any other day
    yes, what happened was real bad, but i cant identify with it anymore than that my dad works in nyc and was there when it happened
    i didnt know anyone in the towers and im glad that i didnt because then it would be a completely different story
    but ryan, why would people wanna mourn it everyday? didnt that day show people that life is very short and to LIVE it instead of dwelling on things?
    after my sister died i felt that same way that you do
    'how can these people who were her friends go on and act like nothing happened?" its because people HAVE to
    no one can spend every day of their life depressed over something and you cant be angry at people who choose to go on with their lives
    imageimage
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Well damn, I take the hipster statement back. The way you said it made it sound like you knew someone who had parents who had friends that worked there, or something along those lines.
    image Photobucket
  • cherry_or_gtfocherry_or_gtfo Posts: 1,348 salt miner
    Look at what you started Chuck.
    i associate with 9/11 for a different reason but if that situation never happened, i cant say i would treat that day any different than any other day
    yes, what happened was real bad, but i cant identify with it anymore than that my dad works in nyc and was there when it happened
    i didnt know anyone in the towers and im glad that i didnt because then it would be a completely different story
    but ryan, why would people wanna mourn it everyday? didnt that day show people that life is very short and to LIVE it instead of dwelling on things?
    'how can these people who were her friends go on and act like nothing happened?" its because people HAVE to
    no one can spend every day of their life depressed over something and you cant be angry at people who choose to go on with their lives
    It's not that I'm asking people to mourn it every day, I'm asking for people to shut up with their smug single day patriotism, because it's all self serving. All of those 9/11 events make it seem like we spend all the time remembering 9/11 victims and the first responders, and we don't. I'm not saying we should at all, but all of the media I was watching was all "We remember all these heroes with this performance of our National Anthem by Neyo." Give me a break. It's all a one day show for us all to feel better about ourselves just for us to go back to work on Monday and act like this weekend was just like any other.
  • Bottle_TreeBottle_Tree Posts: 7,166 just the tip
    I've always hated people who do the whole single-day patriotism, or people who will repost shit about someone they don't know who died, etc. just to make themselves look better. I think that 9/11 or any tragedy for that matter is horrible, but I'm not going to pretend I'm a saint.

God, I remember in high school I never stood up for the pledge. Not because I hated America, but I just had my own reasons. And every 9/11 everyone who always gave me shit about it would make comments like "You better stand up for it today!". I would just sit there and wonder how the fuck saying the pledge equals mourning 9/11.
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i stopped standing up and sayin the pledge in elementary school because i just didnt feel like standing up and saying it lol. i had nothing against it i just didnt feel like doing it anymore. i felt like a jackass just standing up there talking to a flag LOL.

anyway..........

ANARCHY MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

**==
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    It's not that I'm asking people to mourn it every day, I'm asking for people to shut up with their smug single day patriotism, because it's all self serving. All of those 9/11 events make it seem like we spend all the time remembering 9/11 victims and the first responders, and we don't. I'm not saying we should at all, but all of the media I was watching was all "We remember all these heroes with this performance of our National Anthem by Neyo." Give me a break. It's all a one day show for us all to feel better about ourselves just for us to go back to work on Monday and act like this weekend was just like any other.
    so basically youre saying that everyone is fake if they make a big deal out of that day when most of the year, it doesnt phase them?
    how can you be so sure youre the only one who thinks about it every day?
    people have their own reasons to do something in such a way or not doing something at all.
    for example, i deal with bad situations with trying to make people laugh but that doesnt mean im not effected by it
    imageimage
    i don't think about it every day..but it had a profound impact on my life and its the one event that will always be remembered about my generation....the media does shove it down our throats but that doesn't mean everyone is who is patriotic on 9/11 is showing single day patriotism
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8puRqE4Sc
    watched this in government. almost cried in class.