Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Weird News Threadz

Comments

• sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
    LANCASTER, Ohio -- Authorities in central Ohio are trying to solve a panties puzzle: why hundreds of pairs of mostly women's underwear were dumped along the side of a road.
    Fairfield County Deputy Gary Hummel said Thursday the undergarments were found in trees and on hillsides in several spots this week on a road in Berne Township, about 30 miles southeast of Columbus.
    He said some of the panties were still folded the way they'd come in packaging, while others appeared to have been worn.
    There were nearly 1,700 pairs in all, in a mix of colors and patterns. Hummel said when collected, they filled 10 large trash bags.
    He said investigators are "baffled" as to where the panties came from.
    maybe this is another rebellious act by women, only this time instead of burning bras they're littering with their panties?
    Perhaps. But my friend from Ohio around that area just moved in with me...I'm drawing suspicions.
    Astronomers discover planet made of diamond

LONDON — Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.

The new planet is far denser than any other known so far and consists largely of carbon. Because it is so dense, scientists calculate the carbon must be crystalline, so a large part of this strange world will effectively be diamond.

"The evolutionary history and amazing density of the planet all suggest it is comprised of carbon -- i.e. a massive diamond orbiting a neutron star every two hours in an orbit so tight it would fit inside our own Sun," said Matthew Bailes of Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne.

Lying 4,000 light years away, or around an eighth of the way toward the center of the Milky Way from the Earth, the planet is probably the remnant of a once-massive star that has lost its outer layers to the so-called pulsar star it orbits.

Pulsars are tiny, dead neutron stars that are only around 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) in diameter and spin hundreds of times a second, emitting beams of radiation.

In the case of pulsar J1719-1438, the beams regularly sweep the Earth and have been monitored by telescopes in Australia, Britain and Hawaii, allowing astronomers to detect modulations due to the gravitational pull of its unseen companion planet.

The measurements suggest the planet, which orbits its star every two hours and 10 minutes, has slightly more mass than Jupiter but is 20 times as dense, Bailes and colleagues reported in the journal Science on Thursday.

In addition to carbon, the new planet is also likely to contain oxygen, which may be more prevalent at the surface and is probably increasingly rare toward the carbon-rich center.

Its high density suggests the lighter elements of hydrogen and helium, which are the main constituents of gas giants like Jupiter, are not present.

Just what this weird diamond world is actually like close up, however, is a mystery.

"In terms of what it would look like, I don't know I could even speculate," said Ben Stappers of the University of Manchester. "I don't imagine that a picture of a very shiny object is what we're looking at here."
    That's really cool
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    U.S. Set To File Suits Against Big Banks Over Mortgages

WASHINGTON - The agency that oversees mortgage markets is preparing to file suit against more than a dozen big banks, accusing them of misrepresenting the quality of mortgages they packaged and sold during the housing bubble, The New York Times reported on Thursday.

The Federal Housing Finance Agency, which oversees mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, is expected to file suit against Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank, among other banks, the Times reported, citing three unidentified individuals briefed on the matter.

The suits stem from subpoenas the finance agency issued to banks last year. They could be filed as early as Friday, the Times said, but if not filed Friday it said the suits would come on Tuesday.

The government will argue the banks, which pooled the mortgages and sold them as securities to investors, failed to perform due diligence required under securities law and missed evidence that borrowers' incomes were falsified or inflated, the Times reported.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lost more than $30 billion, due partly to their purchases of mortgage-backed securities, when the housing bubble burst in late 2008. Those losses were covered mostly with taxpayers' money.

The agency filed suit against UBS in July, seeking to recover at least $900 million for taxpayers, and the individuals told the Times the new suits would be similar in scope.

A spokesman for the Federal Housing Finance Agency was not immediately available for comment.

The Times said Bank of America, JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs all declined comment. A Deutsche Bank spokesman told the Times, "We can't comment on a suit that we haven't seen and hasn't been filed yet."

The practice of subprime lending, wherein mortgage brokers lowered their standards to entice homebuyers to take out large mortgages to buy more expensive homes than they could afford, was a root cause of the mortgage market implosion.

News of the suit could have a negative impact on stocks of the banks in question on Friday. JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America and Goldman Sachs are traded on the New York Stock Exchange, while Deutsche Bank is traded on the German exchange.

S&P 500 stocks index futures were trading down 0.6 percent in Asia. U.S. Treasury futures also ticked higher..

The Times report said investors fear that if banks are forced to pay out billions for mortgages that defaulted, the suit could sap earnings for years and contribute to further losses across the financial services industry.
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    He suffers from Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and has abused his medication in the past, she said.
    what the fuck does buttsechzing a raft have to do with ADD? kids got a damn fetish. let him fuck some plastic and let him be happy
    the kids 32, hes not a kid anymore regardless if he has ADD or not
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    He suffers from Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and has abused his medication in the past, she said.
    what the fuck does buttsechzing a raft have to do with ADD? kids got a damn fetish. let him fuck some plastic and let him be happy
    exactly. first of all he stole the raft which is wrong and illegal and second......he fucked it lol, so he's clearly got problems.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
    What, y'all never fucked a raft before?
    edited September 2011
    What, y'all never fucked a raft before?
    i prefer a inflatable mattress, a raft is just fucked up.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
    =; You've clearly never fucked an inflateable kiddie pool.
    ...Oh, and the kids it was intended for as well. :D
  • Bottle_TreeBottle_Tree Posts: 7,166 just the tip
    exactly. first of all he stole the raft which is wrong and illegal and second......he fucked it lol, so he's clearly got problems.
    That's the thing though. In his mind his mental age is much, much younger than his actual age. I pity people like this, as hilarious as stories like this guy's are. I mean, what mentally sane person steals a raft to hump in public? Nobody! D: Poor guy doesn't need jail time. He needs lots and lots of counseling, especially if he has a drug problem.

Unless the raft's family decides to press charges, though.

• GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    no itz that prevert Gnomez dropping himz stash off because heez fuct up that way
    Catz methinks your just jelly coz the only panties you've ever managed to grab are your mom and your sister's
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    ...Oh, and the kids it was intended for as well. :D
    sup catz
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    :-??

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

That's the thing though. In his mind his mental age is much, much younger than his actual age. I pity people like this, as hilarious as stories like this guy's are. I mean, what mentally sane person steals a raft to hump in public? Nobody! D: Poor guy doesn't need jail time. He needs lots and lots of counseling, especially if he has a drug problem.

Unless the raft's family decides to press charges, though.

i like you ellie, you're so nice and understanding >:D<
    im the same way in real life, i just like to fuck around on here for laughs and whatnot lol.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    nice humble brag man
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    nice humble brag man
    bitch i'll cut you!

>:D<
  • Bottle_TreeBottle_Tree Posts: 7,166 just the tip
    edited September 2011
    im the same way in real life, i just like to fuck around on here for laughs and whatnot lol.

I found out how much easier and happier life is when you're nice and understanding to people. Things aren't so complicated either.

And I find weird fetishes like that guy's fascinating. :)) I actually want to major in psychology and neuroscience to do brain research to figure out more about human sexuality, especially paraphilias. I'm so weird.

I found out how much easier and happier life is when you're nice and understanding to people. Things aren't so complicated either.

And I find weird fetishes like that guy's fascinating. :)) I actually want to major in psychology and neuroscience to do brain research to figure out more about human sexuality, especially paraphilias. I'm so weird.
    you can study me if you'd like. i'll even let you conduct weird sexual experiments on me ;)

:))

on a serious note, i agree with you that life is better when you're nice and understanding
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Okay it's time for me to come clean...I have been having inappropriate relations with sheep....

http://i.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/5554610/Stumpy-comes-up-trumps
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    Software: Mute Faggots

(CNN) -- When Matt Richardson works from his home in Brooklyn, N.Y., he likes to keeps the TV on to stay informed, but some celebrity or another is always taking up airtime and bugging him.
    "A while ago it was Charlie Sheen. And then it was Sarah Palin. And then it was Donald Trump," said Richardson, who is a video producer for Make Magazine. "And after a while I realized there's sort of always someone who I don't really want to hear about."
    Like any good hacker, Richardson decided to come up with a fix: He developed a do-it-yourself TV remote control that will automatically mute the television when certain celebrity names are mentioned.
    He plans to debut and explain the hack at the upcoming Maker Faire event in New York. The name of his talk is "Enough Already: Silencing Celebs with Arduino."
    Unless you're speaking at that do-it-yourself inventors' conference, you may be wondering: "What the heck is Arduino?" It's basically a piece of computer hardware that can be programmed to do anything you want. In this case, Richardson combined a couple of Arduino circuit boards with an infrared LED light -- that little red bubble on the front of your TV remote -- and programmed the whole thing to interact with a TV's closed-captioning system.
    The DIY gadget reads the closed-captioning transcript as it's aired and then automatically mutes the television for 30 seconds when it picks up certain words. That list of unspeakables can be re-programmed (so if you really love Sarah Palin, don't worry -- you could mute President Obama or Sen. Harry Reid references instead).
    As long as that person's name keeps coming up, the remote keeps muting the TV. The first time he got it to work, Richardson said he "was in silent bliss for that 30 seconds I didn't have to hear about Kim Kardashian."
    The whole thing cost about $70 to make, he said, and he built and coded it in about a week, working only in his spare time. It's worth noting that this isn't a product Richardson expects to be commercialized -- it's just for fun. He posted the code online so other people can play around with it.
    The implementation itself is pretty crude, he said. Closed captioning doesn't always appear in real-time, so sometimes the system will miss a first reference.
    If you're interested, he explains the process in detail in a blog post.
    In the comments below that post, Make Magazine readers chime in with all kinds of ways this sort of closed-caption-reading tech could be used.
    "You could generate the list of key words dynamically. E.g., by monitoring Twitter's trending topics or by parsing Google's zeitgeist lists," one reader suggests.
    Another wants to use it to mute all commercials:
    "Does the CC (closed captioning) stream contain any kind of marker for indicating commercials? Because I'd tweak this in a heartbeat to mute the deliberately louder commercials that seem all the rage these days."
    The Maker Faire, which is dedicated to all kinds of cool and bizarre crafts, machines, computer hacks and mousetraps, will be held Sept. 17 and 18 in New York. You can see a full schedule on their website.
    Neither Kardashian nor Snooki is expected to be in attendance.

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

• cheech9_4offcheech9_4off Posts: 942 just the tip
    thats pretty sweet.