Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**The PANTERA Appreciation Thread**

Comments

• Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    holy shit.

Catz <_>
    Slap <_> <_> <_> <_> <_> <_><_>
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    While I do love Pantera more than Megadeth, and they are one of my favorite bands, the whole keeping metal alive thing is bullshit. There were plenty of 90s bands releasing good heavy music during that time. To say otherwise is a slap to the face to every metal musician who was putting in work at that time.
    Exactly. There was a little something called Death Metal starting in the 90's.....
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i wouldnt put Pantera in meh top 20 list
    weren't a metalhead in the 90's huh?
    no i like a couple songz from pantera but i hate all that mocho ill kix y00z ass "WALK" bullshit lyrrics
    I'm sure you saw them in concert in the early 90's... no?
    no saw Ozzy Megadeth and Queensryche Type O Negative... ahh a few others
    [-( I am disappoint. Megadeth in the 90's brought the suck. they kinda do still but that is a different story.
    i liked Count Down To Exstinction Mardy Freeman was the shit on that CD
    yeah... I didnt say they were total suck on album. They had a few good albums that I still occasionally listen too. What I said was that Megadeth puts on a really shitty concert.
    i wouldnt put Pantera in meh top 20 list
    weren't a metalhead in the 90's huh?
    no i like a couple songz from pantera but i hate all that mocho ill kix y00z ass "WALK" bullshit lyrrics
    I'm sure you saw them in concert in the early 90's... no?
    no saw Ozzy Megadeth and Queensryche Type O Negative... ahh a few others
    [-( I am disappoint. Megadeth in the 90's brought the suck. they kinda do still but that is a different story.
    Erm....no.

Risk doesn't change the fact that these were good.
    I was talking about them in concert and that is completely true. I can understand the confusion but let me recap what was said. I said

"Did you see pantera in concert"
    "no. I saw megadeth"
    "Megadeth brought the suck"

edited May 2011
    While I do love Pantera more than Megadeth, and they are one of my favorite bands, the whole keeping metal alive thing is bullshit. There were plenty of 90s bands releasing good heavy music during that time. To say otherwise is a slap to the face to every metal musician who was putting in work at that time.
    but what you are not grasping is the popularity of these bands. Keep in mind there wasnt the internet. And grunge was so fucking popular that it literally saturated everything. If you were looking for concerts to go to, no name grunge bands were getting much more hype then established metal bands.

I absolutely agree there was a lot of great metal being made in the 90's. Death, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Cynic, yadda yadda yadda.... I could go on forever.

But the thing you dont get is those bands I listed.... They werent here in the states! And if they did rarely come around it was so difficult to find out about the concerts because there was no internet and everything was all about grunge. But when Pantera came to town... you fucking knew it.

Did Pantera save metal in the 90's? No... it wasnt really dying. But Pantera was the biggest metalband in the 90's in the states by a wide wide wide margin. Metallica had soldout by this time.... Megadeth (although good on album) was awful in concert.... Slayer was probably the next biggest thing to Pantera, but even they didnt have the same influence.

basically... if you werent there. and you didnt go to the shows... you really don't know what's up.
    and maybe my view of the world is skewed because of how close I lived to seattle. I grew up in spokane, and it was damn near impossible to find out about decent metal shows. Thank god for the internet. You know what saved metal? The internet.

I prefer thrash over groove.....I just think the first 4 Megadeth albums (and Metallica albums for that matter) are better, but it's personal preference....
    Often times, how a band performs in concert should absolutely influence your thoughts on their music. Megadeth puts on on of the most boring shows I have ever seen. I have seen them a half a dozen times, and I don't think there has been one show that I thought "That was worth it." They are just so god awful boring!!! I agree that they have a several fantastic albums, but skip their shows. terrible.

Metallica on the other hand is fucking awesome in concert. They also have several really great shows. I actually don't have much of a problem with someone liking Metallica more then Pantera. I get that. Both have several dope albums, both put on killer parties...

I personally hold Pantera in a higher regards because while metallica was busy cashing out, Pantera was buying beer for 15 year olds.
    If anybody thinks that Pantera is the best metal band from the 90's, they're fucking retarded.
    I agree with you that on album Death is a billion times better then Pantera. I am there with you on that. But they were almost non existent on the tours. I think Catz hit it pretty right on when he said Pantera was the biggest commercial metal band. And that is probably true because Grunge was such a huge thing and made finding metal bands difficult.
    Now I'm confused. Who said metal was dead in the 90s?
    u did d00d you said if it werent for Pantera Metal would have been dead in the 90s
    Your twisting my words around. I said it was in a vegetative state (very much alive, but you had be a metalhead to know that). If you knew where to find it, it was obviously there. All I said, is Pantera withstood the mainstream downfall that metal as whole pretty much did. It's not a hard concept to understand. I'm not even calling them the best to come out of their era. Im just saying, if you asked the average person at the time to name a metal band, they would've probably 80% of the time said Pantera. That's just the way it was. You don't have to give them credit, but they were what they were.
    This was perfectly said, and I couldnt have said it better myself. This is 100% the truth. We didnt have the internet, and checking the newspapers for metal concerts was difficult because everything was grunge this or grunge that. You could go and hunt cassettes for a cover that looked cool and then maybe waste 15 dollars of your hard earned money on shit. Knowing where to look for metal in the 90's (especially early 90's) was damn near impossible.
    but what you are not grasping is the popularity of these bands. Keep in mind there wasnt the internet. And grunge was so fucking popular that it literally saturated everything. If you were looking for concerts to go to, no name grunge bands were getting much more hype then established metal bands.

I absolutely agree there was a lot of great metal being made in the 90's. Death, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Cynic, yadda yadda yadda.... I could go on forever.

But the thing you dont get is those bands I listed.... They werent here in the states! And if they did rarely come around it was so difficult to find out about the concerts because there was no internet and everything was all about grunge. But when Pantera came to town... you fucking knew it.

Did Pantera save metal in the 90's? No... it wasnt really dying. But Pantera was the biggest metalband in the 90's in the states by a wide wide wide margin. Metallica had soldout by this time.... Megadeth (although good on album) was awful in concert.... Slayer was probably the next biggest thing to Pantera, but even they didnt have the same influence.

basically... if you werent there. and you didnt go to the shows... you really don't know what's up.
    this

I prefer thrash over groove.....I just think the first 4 Megadeth albums (and Metallica albums for that matter) are better, but it's personal preference....
    Often times, how a band performs in concert should absolutely influence your thoughts on their music. Megadeth puts on on of the most boring shows I have ever seen. I have seen them a half a dozen times, and I don't think there has been one show that I thought "That was worth it." They are just so god awful boring!!! I agree that they have a several fantastic albums, but skip their shows. terrible.

Metallica on the other hand is fucking awesome in concert. They also have several really great shows. I actually don't have much of a problem with someone liking Metallica more then Pantera. I get that. Both have several dope albums, both put on killer parties...

I personally hold Pantera in a higher regards because while metallica was busy cashing out, Pantera was buying beer for 15 year olds.
    Not this. I've seen Megadeth many times and I think that they have always been very good live

Not this. I've seen Megadeth many times and I think that they have always been very good live
    weird. because I actually really like at least 3-4 of their albums. My first megadeth show was the worst. I had already seen Metallica and Pantera by this time, and then Megadeth is coming to town and I am soooo stoked because I love Rust, Countdown, and Youthanasia. and then I go to the show and like boring. The mosh pit was boring. Dave was boring. they just sat up there playing. no crowd interaction, no fire, nothing but just standing in place being boring.
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Pantera didn't "save" metal, that's way overstating it. What they did do though, is keep the torch going. You people need to realize that all of the big metal bands from the 80's declined big time in the mid 90's.

-Bruce Dickinson left Iron Maiden
    - Rob Halford left Judas Priest
    - Joey Belladonna left Anthrax
    - Metallica sold out and started releasing garbage
    -Megadeth and Slayer had a run of bad albums after Countdown to Extinction and Season In The Abyss
    -Exodus broke up

this all happened in the mid-90's and there was pretty much grunge, grunge, everywhere. Metal fans were metal fans, they weren't going anyway, but what Pantera did was bring in lots of younger and new metal fans in whereas these other bands just weren't pulling their weight at the time. Metal just wasn't cool in the states anymore and Pantera helped make it cool and badass again/still.

Yeah there was awesome shit happening in Europe, but we had practically no way of knowing about it. Like somebody said, all you could really do was go to a "record" store and pick up a cd for $15 based on how the album cover looked and hopefully get lucky.

There was no internet
    There was no way of hearing about most of these bands, let alone actually hearing them.

the end of the 90's was when it picked back up and I think alot of it started with Ozzfest and alot of the bigger bands that came out and played the first couple of Ozzfests. The internet was huge in metal tho, because finally we could hear all the awesome shit that bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, and lots of others were doing.

Pantera was definitely not the best shit out in the 90's, but when they came out they were fucking badass and they gave you a sense of pride to be a metalhead, whereas you weren't getting that from many other bands at that time.
    and CF isnt the biggest Pantera fan, he just understands and respects their talent, chemisty of a band, and what theyve done for the heavy music world. *cheers CF*
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    CF L-)

Jk, I agree with y00z. And Megadeth was great when I saw them. I got a Mustaine pick. :D:D:D
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Mayhem will be my first time seeing Megadeth \m/

I got a Mustaine pick. :D:D:D
    i seen it a few months ago \m/
    Mayhem will be my first time seeing Megadeth \m/
    I just saw Megadeth last month at The Big 4. The big 4 was pretty sweet show.... During megadeth though i was like

lol, I hope they put on a btter show then at mayhem, theyre one of the few bands i'm really looking forward to.