Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official NHL thread**

Comments

• HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Here's our Roster as we look at it now, I'm hearing rumors there is more to come...

F...
    Briere
    Hartnell
    Leino
    JVR
    Giroux
    Versteeg
    Brayden Schenn
    Wayne Simmonds
    Jakub Voracek
    Zherdev
    Betts
    Carcillo
    Shelly
    Powe

D...
    Pronger
    Timonen
    Coburn
    Meszaros
    Carle
    O'Donnell
    Syvret

G....
    Bryzgalov
    BOB

I think theres is definatley more to come, they have to add a goal scorer and another D-forward(can prolly get one cheap) .... but I hate to say it, I think I'm liking this. I just hate to see Richards go. He is one of the best 2 way players in the game. Something tells me thers must have been more going on in the locker room/off ice. I heard rumors all year about Laviolette/Pronger having the locker room divided with Richards/Carter... whatever, this was just unexpected <_> Mike Richars is fun to watch. I'm gonna miss him.
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    Dumb trade for philly imo. Shcenn will be a stud but he aint worth m.richards and simmonds is a 3rd liner at best and phillys shelves are stocked with those type of guys anyways. I was hoping the avs could use stastny to pull one of the jonathans from the kings but that looks doubtful now. LA is going to have a great team now, I hope the lose doughty
    I still am hearing huge rumors philly is going to trade for a top notch goal scorer and another playmaker..
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,723 mod
    Doughty isn't going anywhere, he's a restricted free agent....the Kings will find a way to keep him. If they can keep Ryan Smyth, they're going to be something to watch next year.....
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Philly is just taking a huge risk with this. First of all, the deal for Bryzgalov is horrible.....

"Bryzgalov will come at a $5.6 million cap hit for the next nine seasons. That’s a little more than Roberto Luongo who is a $5.33 million cap hit against the Vancouver Canucks after he signed a 12-year $64 million extension last season. New York’s Henrik Lundqvist has the highest cap hit of any goalie at $6.88 million per season until 2013-14."

A goalie who has proven nothing in the playoffs isn't worth that kind of money.

Second of all, Richards was a huge reason the Flyers got to the Finals last year. Even if the friction in the locker room rumor is true, that's not something that can't be worked out. They were two wins from a Cup last year with that roster! As it was, the Flyers were a goalie away from being the most complete team in the East next to Boston. But imo, they panicked because on July 1, Bryzgalov could have walked for more money. The Carter trade was fine and expected, but Richards to the Kings for a guy like Wayne Simmons, who basically just goes out and hits people, was dumb. I don't like the trade.

Third of all, now the Flyers still have to get Leino and others signed. They've backed themselves into a corner. I don't see them getting a top player in a trade because they would have to give up even more players or those draft picks. Even if they did get a guy like Brad Richards or Zach Parise or whoever, the problem is they have sacrificed a good part of their forward depth for this season in exchange for the future. If the Flyers weren't a Cup-caliber team, this would make sense. But that's not the case here. They may like this trade in a couple seasons, but they sure as hell aren't better now, and Bryzgalov is going to have to really deliver to justify the sacrifices the Flyers made to get him.
    Alright, I like the Bryzgalov deal, but I think its for too much along with everyone else, but who else is out there? They needed a goalie and they got him. it is a very risky move, but like I said many of times before, Bryzgalov single handedly took phoniex to the playoffs last year, the FLyers havent touched their D and that is a good thing, they still imo have the best D in the league. Bryzgalov behind those guys should be a wall. Still alot of money for a goalie, but I guess I cant bitch when all I been saying for the last decade is for this team to get a goalie.

They got 2 great up and coming players in Schenn and Voracek. These guys are going to be studds, I cannot complain about these 2. Simmonds is another 3rd liner, hees not even signed yet, so we'll see what happens there. They also got a shit ton of draft pick along with the 8th overall (which I think they'll trade along with a guy like versteeg for a top goal scorer. and I can also see them adding another D man cause Odonell showed his age at the end of last year.

Carter, idgaf about, I knew he was going and he chokes in the playoffs. But Richards deal is very shocking. He, behind datsyuk is one of the best 2way players in the NHL. I know he didnt perform well in the playoffs this year, but he had a broken shoulder. I know hees had problems with the coach, other players, and the media... but i dont know if this was the best move, they could have kept richards. and still signed the goalie by shedding Carter.

THat just tells me one thing. They didnt like the dynamic of the team. I mean we been hearing rumors for years about RIchards and Carter being like jokesters and partying till late at night showing up late to practice ect... I think they know they have a cup team and I think they werent sold that we could turn the corner and win the cup with these guys as our leaders. It sucks about RIchards, but this move only tells me that he must be a problem, otherwise it doesnt make sense.

Theres also rumors about another "topnotch" goal scorer coming in, I dont know who, but supposedly a superstar calibar guy. and I hear Gagne is on his way back. and another D man and a playmaker(vetern type cheap). With the coacing staff they have in place, I dont think it will take long for this team whoever they bring in to jell.

As it sits right now, they have a great D. A team leading goalie, 2 scoring lines in Leino, Briere, Hartnell, and lets not forget about JVR(who stole the show in the playoffs) and Giroux who is compared to the next Forsberg.

Zherdev is a great 1st-3rd line guy who is a natural goal scorer they can lock up for cheap. Schenn and Voracek are going to be studds. I like the aqusition of these guys alot. their 4th line has been solid for like the past 3 seasons with Betts, Powe and whatever tough guy thew throw in there with them.

I'm not going to pretend though, I am very nervous about trading Richards. He's been a solid guy in our lineup for years ont eh PP, PK, great captain, not afraid to drop the gloves, tough, gritt, goalscoring 2way forward.

Their D anf net is locked down, I think Bryzgalov will have an excellent year, the young guys, Giroux, JVR, the 2 new additions, and we still have veterns Briere and Hartnell and I'm sure they'll lock up Leino. and Richards wasnt the best goal scorer. he was mor known for D. They'll score, youngings need to step up and they still have alot of room to work with, so I just need to digest this and see what happenes this weekend, and see who they add to help score goals.
    edited June 2011
    I have a hard time believing Bryz was the only option. When the Wings wanted to upgrade their goaltending in 2001, they went out and traded for Dominik Hasek when no one thought he was available. Boom, Stanley Cup. They could have gotten JS Giguere, a Cup winning goalie, out of Toronto, to name another option. Or they could have gotten a young, up and coming goalie like Jonathan Quick or Cory Schneider. I could go on and on, but my point is Bryz was not the be all, end all in the goalie market but the Flyers forced this on themselves by making that trade. I don't care if the Coyotes defense was good or not good, the goals he let in in the playoffs against us were bad. He was bad, and that's not what I want behind that defense in the playoffs, no matter how good it is.

They got 2 great up and coming players in Schenn and Voracek. These guys are going to be studds, I cannot complain about these 2. Simmonds is another 3rd liner, hees not even signed yet, so we'll see what happens there. They also got a shit ton of draft pick along with the 8th overall (which I think they'll trade along with a guy like versteeg for a top goal scorer. and I can also see them adding another D man cause Odonell showed his age at the end of last year.
    Those two don't do much for you this year. Sure, they COULD be good. But there's no way to know for sure, and certainly not worth trading your best player for. I can't see them getting a top goal scorer because there are salary cap issues with everything. They would have to trade away even more players and their depth would be hurt even more. The salary cap limits what the Flyers can do, and by signing Bryz to this terrible contract, they have tied their hands as far as getting free agents or making more trades. When those young guys are in their prime, Bryz will be old. He's already in his 30's. What's the point of that contract then? It makes no sense.

They traded away a run at the Cup this year for a run at the Cup in 2-3 years. That's fine if you're rebuilding, but if I were a Flyers fan, I'd be pissed because all you needed was a better goalie. Instead, you went all in for the wrong one and were forced to start the rebuilding process early.

Are the Flyers still a playoff team? Yes. Are they good? Yes. Are they Stanley Cup contenders with the roster they have now? Meh, less so than they were yesterday, and that's a shame, because like I said, they were two wins away from a Cup with this team. They didn't like the dynamic of this team? I don't believe that at all. I believe they panicked.
    Post edited by JLRedWing13 on
    I have to disagree though man. Theres no way theyre not cup contending teams now. They have that D with finally a fucking goalie that is worth a shit, and imo Bryz is better then the possible guys you named up there. Bryz was on shitty teams his entire career, now he's on a good team.

we didnt trade away our whole team, we still have Briere, JVR, Giroux, Hartnell, Leino, Zhercev, Versteeg, we added those 2 young studs, and our D is top notch and now we have a goalie. yes the contract is ridiculous, but I';m not a GM or goalie coach, I think Bryz is a stud and I wanted them to get him when the coyoted did. I'm sure the goals he let in with no team in front of him couldnt be any worse then the goals we let in with a superstar filled squad in front of our goalie carousel, lol.

I think the contract had to be stretched out that far cause of the ca, so it didnt take much more money off the cap, Pronger is signed for the next like6 years, but he wont play that long, he'll just retire.

Carter was due to be traded. Richards is a huge fucking risk and I am nervous. but they got better on the back end, and they have a great core of young players with tons of potential, some of it has already been shown. and also proven leaders. Timonen, Pronger and Briere all used to be captains, they have great leadership on the team.

and like I said before, soething was noit right and hasnt been right in a long time in the locker room. Richards has a huge head/ego... its a known fact. it leads me to believe they didnt want, need that for the team anymore, it wasnt helping. everyone knew Carter was gone, and when you look at Richards, for the past 3 years, he's been our 3rd line center with great PP and PK abilities. I am dissapointed, he's been one of my favorites, but I cannot complain, I wanted a goalie, and they finally got one. we'll see whats up in a few months...
    Bryzgalov was a backup on the Anaheim Ducks team that won the Cup in 2007, and the last two Phoenix teams he was on were actually pretty solid. I don't buy that he's never had good players in front of him. Giguere has won a Cup and been to two Finals so he is a better goalie than Bryz, and there's no question Quick and Schneider are better because they looked far better in the playoffs than Bryz.

You have to sign Leino so that's not a foregone conclusion, and even if you do, those top six forwards are not enough to do it for me. The two "young studs" have proven nothing, and unless your name is Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin, you're not going to make a huge impact on your team immediately. The Flyers need more guys who can score goals to be a better team than they were last year, and right now, they don't have it. The roster that they have right now is not better than that of Boston, Tampa Bay, or Pittsburgh. If they don't make any more moves, they are going to have problems beating those three teams in the playoffs next year.
    Bryzgalov was a backup on the Anaheim Ducks team that won the Cup in 2007, and the last two Phoenix teams he was on were actually pretty solid. I don't buy that he's never had good players in front of him. Giguere has won a Cup and been to two Finals so he is a better goalie than Bryz, and there's no question Quick and Schneider are better because they looked far better in the playoffs than Bryz.

You have to sign Leino so that's not a foregone conclusion, and even if you do, those top six forwards are not enough to do it for me. The two "young studs" have proven nothing, and unless your name is Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin, you're not going to make a huge impact on your team immediately. The Flyers need more guys who can score goals to be a better team than they were last year, and right now, they don't have it. The roster that they have right now is not better than that of Boston, Tampa Bay, or Pittsburgh. If they don't make any more moves, they are going to have problems beating those three teams in the playoffs next year.
    I think giguere has lost some of his touch and i dont think quick or schneider are available. I dont think its a bad thing we got Bryz, overpaid yes, is he a bum noway. hees been solid for a few seasons and is lightyears better then the ghosts we had in net before.

The Flyers are not done, I see them signing Leino somewhere around 2.5 mil a year for like 2-3 years. then i see them trading versteeg and maybe carle or someone else to free up cap space or for another forward. either way, i see them having to good scoring lines, a solid 3rd line scoring/checking and their fourth line has been solid and doesnt need to change.

its not over yet for the moves theyre gonna make. i cant be mad for them getting a goalie. i dont want to jkump to conclusions until i see what happens after the draft and the first day or free agancy.

this team is still filled with stars and future atars and great leadership. maybe the move was to bring the team together as a whole. either way, theyre still a good team and contender and finally have a goalie. richards will be missed, but i am optimistic.
    edited June 2011
    I think giguere has lost some of his touch and i dont think quick or schneider are available.
    People said that Roloson was done after he left Edmonton.....he's looking pretty good right now. Giguere is playing behind a very bad Toronto team and a change of scenery might have been enough, especially with the team Philly has had. I think you could have gotten Quick or Schneider for Carter and Richards, that would have been a much better deal. Bryz is unproven and he's old. Not a good combination for me. He'll be under pressure to perform, and perform well in the playoffs. We'll see if he can handle that, but early signs do not have me convinced.
    The Flyers are not done, I see them signing Leino somewhere around 2.5 mil a year for like 2-3 years. then i see them trading versteeg and maybe carle or someone else to free up cap space or for another forward. either way, i see them having to good scoring lines, a solid 3rd line scoring/checking and their fourth line has been solid and doesnt need to change.
    Yes, but now you're trading away more depth, which was the strength of this team. That's my point. You need depth in your scoring to win a Cup. Right now the Flyers are trading away too much of it imo.
    its not over yet for the moves theyre gonna make. i cant be mad for them getting a goalie. i dont want to jkump to conclusions until i see what happens after the draft and the first day or free agancy.
    The salary cap is going to limit the moves you can make unless you dump more depth like I just mentioned, but fair enough. I would hope there's another deal coming if I were a Flyers fan because on its own, these deals are moves for the future.
    this team is still filled with stars and future atars and great leadership. maybe the move was to bring the team together as a whole. either way, theyre still a good team and contender and finally have a goalie. richards will be missed, but i am optimistic.
    Filled with stars? That's debatable. I can maybe make an argument for Pronger but that's it. Briere isn't quite there. Future stars do nothing for you this season. Great leadership....we will see, the Flyers just traded their captain, but Pronger can handle that I guess.

Right now I have to see more moves from them before I say they're a team that can dethrone Boston. They're a top 4 team in the East for sure, and they could win the Cup, but I like their chances less now than I did yesterday.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Blue jackets > red wings , flyers
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Blue jackets > red wings , flyers
    Troll in the dungeon.
    Not my fault the blue jackets are better
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Briere holds the record for most goals scored in one playoffs ever. I think he's a superstar.

We'll see what happens, I know their not done making moves, its not over for them, this is just the beginning. We'll see 2 or more player should be brought in. I think there was a lot of unknown friction going on within the team. I am not fully upset, but I will miss richards.
    I just listened to a Mike Richards interview on the radio and goddamnit I can't hold back any fucking more, I'm madd as fucking hell. I feel like I been kicked in the teeth, my stomach hurts. Fuck this shit.
    Blue jackets > flyers
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    I just listened to a Mike Richards interview on the radio and goddamnit I can't hold back any fucking more, I'm madd as fucking hell. I feel like I been kicked in the teeth, my stomach hurts. Fuck this shit.
    i dont blame you, if its because of Pronger and Richards not getting along then i would have moved Pronger