Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official NHL thread**

Comments

• HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    please god let this article i just came across be false....

Not one, but two (!) rather respected national hockey writers are reporting this morning that the average annual value of Ilya Bryzgalov's deal with the Flyers could fall around $7 million dollars per season, and that the deal is in place. The Flyers can't announce it though until July 1

Yes, that's $7 million dollars.

Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet first reported that Bryzgalov was Iooking for a deal around 7 years, $50 million, and then Elliotte Friedman of CBC responded to him on Twitter saying that he's heard that the deal "will be around $7 million."

If Paul Holmgren can get the salary cap hit down to somewhere manageable -- $5 million to $6 million per year -- I can live with the signing of Bryzgalov. It'll mean the departure of somebody important, but if done right, I could learn to accept it and I'll get over the anger of what I believe is ultimately a bad move for the long-term (and short-term) future of the team.

But $7 million is an incredible amount of money against the cap each year, and it would make Bryzgalov one of the highest paid players in all of hockey. In the top-20, for sure, and with a cap hit that high, he'd probably be the highest paid Flyer too. More than Danny Briere. More than Chris Pronger. More than Mike Richards.

He'd certainly be the highest paid goalie in the sport. Is he the best goalie in the sport? No, unfortunately he is not.

I can't even get into what this would mean for Jeff Carter or Scott Hartnell or Kris Versteeg or Matt Carle or whoever else. I'm just irritated over this. $7 million dollars a year. Whatever, I'm going on vacation tomorrow.

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,723 mod
    That would be a horrible deal for a good but unproven goalie.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    yeah I agree, the article isnt from a reliable source, I'm waiting to hear from the philly guy who always has the inside scoop. I can see 4, maybe 5 mil a year, but 7, fukk naww... look at all the players we'll have to give up, its not worth it. If they do this, its stanley cup or bust.
    If they do that they won't contend for the Cup, they can't keep their forward depth if they sign him to that big a contract....
    they can if they get rid of Carter who is a choke artist in the playoffs. if they sign him, keep carter, that will leave them with 2 great lines in richards, giroux, carter, JVR, Briere, and either Hartnell, Versteeg, Zherdev(whomever they decide to keep.

then they'll have a solid defensive fourth line with powe, betts, shelly

i guess they'll just fill out the 3rd line with bums or veterns at low cost who want to contend.

cause even if they do this and do what i just explained, you put a goalie that basically is the only reason his team made the playoffs in front of pronger, meszaros, timonen, coburn, ect... they definately will contened.

look at boston, noone, including john thought they could win the cup, they have 1 good scoring line and the rest our grinders. 1 good defensive pair and 2 other decent ones, but a really good goalie, and thats why they won.

i'm not trying to compare thomas to bryzgalov cause i dont think its fair, right now thomas is the best in the world. but bryzgalov has always been a good goalie on a shitty team. i think he gives them a really good shot, and i think we would be talkin a much different story now if the flyers had a goalie instead of fucking ghosts in the net....

we'll see, i just hope they keep hartnell though, they need a grinder/pest who works hard. they can prolly also keep carcillo and zherdev for cheap, i can see versteeg out the door though and Lapirerieere(however you spell it) will loosen up 3mil on the cap going on long time IR, so that will also help.
    I'm not a GM but committing 7 million to a goalie means someone is not coming back, even if you trade Carter. 7 million is good enough to lock up 2-3 other players.
    i agree, i heard the deal that is being rumored is one of those stretched out deals like we were talking about before and would count for like 4-5mil against the cap, not 7 mil. I know they need a goalie, i hope this is the guy... and i hope its at a cheaper price then what this rumor is. all i know is the owner of the team gave the order to get a fukkin goalie and it looks like they found their man cause theres really noone else out there.

at least we have Giroux and JVR locked up cheap for a few years, some salary is droppin from Brieres/timonens deals, so we'll see how they do. Holmgren had done a good job making it fit before.

i also forgot about Leino FUCK. he's prolly definatly gone, he wanted liuke 3mil a year...
    NHL awards on versus now...
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    Bruins got the only trophy that matters :)
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    the one the reffs gave them? :-?
    yup because they were offsides!
    Lidstrom won the Norris \:D/
    I love Ian Lappierrier :X
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    Carter to Columbus for Jakub Voracek, a first round pick (8th overall in tomorrow's draft) and a third round pick
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    i also heard versteeg is gone to florida but no detail on that yet
    WHY WOULD YOU TRADE MIKE RICHARDS?????????????????????????????????????

Ilya Bryzgalov nine-year, $51 million deal.

I'm fucking speechless. Especially when BOB is proly gonna be good in 2 years. I dont even know what to say/think. I'm sad about Richards.

:-(
    Here is a quick look at the three players the Flyers acquired on Thursday in their trades with the Kings and Blue Jackets:

Brayden Schenn – Picked up from Los Angeles in the Mike Richards trade, the 19-year-old Schenn was the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft. He has played in just nine NHL games, notching two assists without a goal. He played for four different clubs last season, including eight games with the Kings. He saw his most action with Saskatoon of the WHL, for whom he had 21 goals and 32 assists in just 27 regular-season games.

Wayne Simmonds – Also acquired from the Kings in the Richards deal, the 22-year-old right wing is coming off a season in which he scored 14 goals and added 16 assists in 80 games. He also had 75 penalty minutes, though that total was down from his 116 PIM the previous season. Simmonds, a second-round pick in 2007, has played 240 NHL games with 39 goals, 54 assists and 264 PIM.

Jakub Voracek – Brought in from Columbus in the Jeff Carter trade, the 21-year-old Voracek is coming off a pair of seasons in which he scored 16 goals and 14 goals, respectively. Last year, he also added 32 assists while playing in 80 games for the Blue Jackets. The Czech winger was the seventh overall pick in the 2007 draft.

They also got the 8th overall pick in the first round, a 2nd and 3rd round pick also.
    wheres Jay i need someone to make sense of all this shit for me. The Flyers just blew up their team....