Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official NHL thread**

Comments

• laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    no...trying to figure out a presale password to a show....
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i got something that will make your day bro!

(NSFW)

{Upload|4099}

{Upload|4100}
    Laviolette won't blow up lines, expects greatness

Don't expect a major shakeup in the wake of the Flyers most recent frustrating loss. It didn't help that several members of the team were battling a flu bug at the time. "I have to take one hundred percent responsibility for what happened yesterday," [Peter] Laviolette said, referring to the loss, which ran the Flyers' losing streak to a season-high four games. Laviolette said he expects the team to be "great" [Tuesday] night when Edmonton visits. He also said that he does not expect any major line shakeups, including the once incendiary line of Danny Briere, Ville Leino and Scott Hartnell. "The easy thing to do is blow everything up," Laviolette said. "I believe in that line."

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Pronger is just good at pissing people off. Good defenseman to be sure, but he's a borderline goon. Once a Duck, always a Duck. <_>
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Jay <_>

Fuck the Ducks, he's a Flyer now. He tears down opposite teams best players on the regular. He's been on 4 teams and all of them went to the finals. He has 50 assists every year, 10-20 goals, he plays close to 25-30mins a game, he's our best penalty killer. saying he just a borderline goon is flat out untrue. go look at the stats people.
    Pronger's been in 1 fight since he's been on the Flyers and hasn't been suspended once.
    Rant answers: Slumps worry Wings, Flyers fans, relocation worries Coyotes fans
    ...by Pierre LeBrun

The pressure is mounting in the playoff races and the fans are cracking! Great rants this week:

amy4240: As an avid Phoenix Coyotes and hockey fan, I am absolutely heartbroken at the prospect of the Coyotes relocating. Is there anything that the fans can do to help the city of Glendale in its fight against the Goldwater Institute? Is there anyway to reach out to the NHL and convince them to give us more time to get a resolution? I feel like the Goldwater Institute is back-dooring us.

My take: Amy, it's not over yet! Things are dire, yes, but it's not over yet. The NHL and City of Glendale were going to give this one last shot. If I were Coyotes fans right now, however, I'd organize a rally! It can't hurt! Show your passion, Yotes fans!

GO_WINGS2009: I am going to rant against my Red Wings, again. Yes Pierre, you gave me crap for it a few weeks ago, but I warned everyone. This team is not defensively sound. They gave up a 4-1 lead in one period!! Even "Z" didn't agree with his coaches comments about them playing too fancy and not making the easy plays. Not even one of the best players agrees with him, so how can you tell me Babcock truly has this team under control. C'mon man, you know I love this coach, but he's gotta lay the smack down and start benching these guys for a few periods if they're not going to play the defense that he knows they're capable of. I'm sorry, but this crap has to stop. I'm sick of seeing them rattle off four to five wins and then reverting back to letting up four to five goals. We gave up way too many goals on this trip!

My take: That was not an impressive road trip, I'll give you that. And you're right in saying there's something not quite right in early March with this club. But again, history shows these guys will get on a roll. Patience, my friend.

flyersrock08: The Flyers are driving me crazy! I know you hear and no one has sympathy for me or the team. I keep hearing "this is good for them, it builds character, this will teach them how to rebound" I think that's all excuses, which is why the Flyers are struggling! There’s always excuses about how Sean O'Donnell had his helmet slip down so he couldn’t see for a second or two or the flu has stricken the team. I went into a building fire with the flu! (I am a fire fighter just to let you know haha). The point is, I'm tired of excuses!! We lost to four teams that are battling for a playoff spot!! All while NJ is sitting there winning, fighting the teams we lost to!! So my point... Are they throwing these "sub-par" teams so that the Devils can't gain ground? That would be the only acceptable excuse! It still doesn't make sense to me either way!

My take: The Flyers got bored in my opinion. Happens often with first-place teams playing it out until the playoffs. The motivation lacks. Vancouver had a similar hiccup although not as pronounced. Now that the Flyers have allowed Boston, Washington and Pittsburgh back into the race for first in the East, I think you’ll see a more focused Flyers team from here on out.

acMIDD28: Pierre, at what point do people start adding Jonathan Toews in Hart Trophy conversations? Is this an award for flashy, goal scoring stat machines, or is this for the best player? And right now there is none better than 19.

My take: Um, check this out.

wmryan96: Care to give an updated take on the impact of the shootout? Earlier in the year you lambasted the GMs who wanted to diminish the impact of the now-dated gimmick on the strength of anecdote (low percentage of games going to shootout relative to last year), but now its obviously picked up steam as the numbers have evened out with greater sample. So, have at it then: the shootout is going to have a major hand in deciding playoff seeding/qualifying. Its garbage.

My take: Must have me confused with somebody else my friend, I am on record saying I want the shootout abolished or minimized in any way. But you should know that the shootout will lose some of its vigor in a month when the regular season ends. If there are any tiebreakers needed in the standings, shootout wins are disregarded from the overall win totals -- new this year after the GMs implemented it last summer.

cbstve: Pierre, what is the answer in St. Louis? I mean not only has this been a disappointing season filled with costly injuries, but now it looks as if the team has just given up! I really hope for the fans sake that there is either a major addition this offseason or this team decides to see what actual potential they have. I'm also praying that individual who is going to finally lead the Blues to a Stanley Cup season is actually born, because I don't think I can wait another 20 years in hopes of winning the Cup.

My take: Big win last night over Columbus! Ok, I know the season is over. I truly feel the injuries sucked the life out of this team this year. Every team has injuries, but losing David Perron for the season and then T.J. Oshie for much of it was a double-blow they couldn't survive. My one concern with this team moving forward to next season is Jaroslav Halak. After a superb start to the season, he's really struggled in the second half before getting injured. Which Halak will the Blues get next season?

gatorterp04: Time to fire Pierre Lacroix and the stooge of a GM we have in Colorado. They have destroyed the team: Cohen, Stewart, Shattenkirk, for very little in return. They do not know how to build a team over there. The scouting department is also pathetic. Years of average drafting at best. Need to clean up the offices and put a real hockey man in charge. Kronke, now that the Carmelo situation is solved, time to look at the Avs.

My take: Absolutely stunning to see the second-half collapse in Denver. Yes, injuries played a huge part, but why the trades then? Listen, if Erik Johnson lives up to his first overall draft billing, then this trade works out just fine. But if not, it's a complete disaster. I'd like to have some comforting words for Avs fans right now, but I don't. Should be an interesting offseason.

evilbouncyball: You DROPPED Boston a spot? Hello? Six-game win streak, including against your No. 1, the loss in overtime, having fought back to capture a point, and all of this with Kampfer being hurt, and Bergeron not in the lineup on Sunday. Meanwhile you put Chicago ABOVE Boston?

I understand they are on a run right now, but so is Boston. In addition, Rask and Thomas have been on FIRE the last few games. You won't find a better 1-2 punch in goaltending anywhere else in the league, it's why Boston ranks so high in GAA. Finally, Philly has been on a complete downfall as of late, and you brought the Caps up FOUR spots with a less impressive streak then the Bruins. The B's deserve AT LEAST the third spot, if not the second.

My take: Yes I heard from many a B's fan Monday and Tuesday. I just shake my head at how much fans care about the Power Rankings. The top six teams are all interchangeable in those rankings, they're all terrific.

joeochs3333: Pierre, I'm a big fan of your work, and an even bigger fan of my beloved Boston Bruins. I love the makeup of this team and the attitude they bring to the ice. I see a young, gritty and physical lineup with depth at forward and top-notch goaltending. My only concern (and a relatively minor one at that) is the lack of a top-notch forward. Bergeron's all-around game is crucial, and Looch has been lighting the lamp, but I don't see a guy on the team who can take over should the B's fall behind in the Playoffs. I guess my question has three parts: 1.Will the Bruins make a run at Brad Richards in the offseason? 2. Will contract talks with Kaberle prevent this from happening? 3. If not Richards, who are a few other UFA's the Bruins could flirt with?

My take: Thanks Joe. As for the UFA crop among high-end forwards? Richards is the only true 1A type on the list. A really weak year for UFA forwards. You've got the likes of Alexei Kovalev, Tim Connolly, Jason Arnott and Simon Gagne, but nobody in the class of Richards. Teams looking to really upgrade offensively this summer are going to have to do it via trade, not through the UFA market.
    Jay <_>

Fuck the Ducks, he's a Flyer now. He tears down opposite teams best players on the regular. He's been on 4 teams and all of them went to the finals. He has 50 assists every year, 10-20 goals, he plays close to 25-30mins a game, he's our best penalty killer. saying he just a borderline goon is flat out untrue. go look at the stats people.
    He spent most of his career in the Western Conference with the Blues, Oilers, and Ducks. I know how he plays, George. He may have cleaned up more now that the NHL is cracking down on this shit, but he's been a notoriously dirty player most of his career. I'm not basing this on one event, I'm basing it on years of watching him play against my team. He's a top 5 defenseman, but I don't like him.
    Every player has cleaned up with the more strict rules. And there has been alot worse than Pronger, remember Scott Stevens or Claude Lemieux? He plays hard and does what it takes to win. That's why he's one of the toughest most feared guys in the NHL, players know not to fuck with him, when he's on the ice other players don't get fucked with on our team and I'm sure they appreciate it. I think any team would want and take him in a heartbeat, if he's on your team you love hime, if he's not you hate him. His numbers do not lie. 4 teams, 4 Stanley Cup Finals! FLYERS FTW!
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    george when did pronger take the blues to the finals??? if he did i honestly dont remember. also Pronger was named the dirtiest player in the game in an anonymous vote by nhl players late last season.
    i just hate Pronger but he is the type of player you hate unless hes on your team.
    also i would probably take briere over anyone on the flyers, always loved watched him play i do love Hartnell he has the kind of heart that can motivate the whole team, but he's a third liner, only reason hes a top liner in philly is briere.
    ^ i agree with your statement, if Pronger is on your team, you love him, if he's not you hate him.

Pronger was voted dirtiest player, Lapierierre was voted toughest guy in hockey, and the philly fans were voted most intimidating, FUCK YEAH!

i guess I was wrong about Pronger brining the Blues, I thought he did <_> but while he was on the Blues he won the Hart and Norris trohpy, was an allstar 6 times, and won the +/- award twice. I know people don't like him cause of his style of play, but he gets the job done and helps his team win games and doesnt take any shit from bitch pests like avery and cooke, those guys dont even go near him. He's feared and that is a good thing for the team he's on. He'll do whatever it takes, if he was on your teams, you'd love him.

and Hartnell has always been a 3rd liner untill he started jelling with Leino and Briere. Hartnell works his ass off to be on that line and he brings the toughness and forechecking to that line. they have so much chemistry.
  • myplagueRobmyplagueRob Posts: 1,375
    pronger is a dirty player, but it is also difficult to check cleanly when you're so much taller than everybody else.

I hate Pronger, but even when he checks clean it almost looks dirty.
    lawl XD

Wings-Kings tomorrow.
    all this talk about pronger and chara...and chara ended up pulling a pronger, will probably be suspended...great
  • myplagueRobmyplagueRob Posts: 1,375
    I don't think he should be suspended for that hit but he probably will. It was a clean check except for the interference part of it. It was just a bad location for that type of hit. If that happens in the corner, no big deal.

that said, if that was Trevor Gillies and not Zdeno Chara, Gillies gets a 2 season suspension and criminal charges.
    Flyers WIN!!! \:D/
    I just watched the CHara hit on youtube and imo it was one of the dirtiest hits i've ever seen, it was intentional and meant only to hurt the other player, chara is a goon. he should be suspended for 30 games.... lol, jk... i think it was just a misfortunate accident, the turnbuckle thing that was covering the glass was right there and chara was so much bigger and stronger than the other guy when he shoved him the guy went flying. it was just a bad accident, chara shouldnt be suspended, but unfortunately with the crackdowns in the NHL he might get 2 games.
    last night was a prime example why i think the B's are still one or two players away from being a cup contender. only goal was from Lucic banging in front of the net. all the other forwards are playmakers, or good at checking. Rask had a bad game to. overall hard to watch. potential loss of Chara for multiple games added insult to injury. i feel bad for the montreal player, but it was due to their crappy building more than Chara being dirty. fuck montreal